The Student Room Group

The young unemployed are lazy and bad workers.

Discuss.

The people i'm referring to are the ones who left school/college and went on job seekers.

I work at a large charity and we have a lot of volunteers working alongside the paid staff. We also have contact with the job centre to take people on 8 week long work placements every now and then and I would have to say that none of them have been a success. A couple of examples from recent times

1) Took him on to do some admin work for us as well as a couple of hours of IT work (he did an IT course at college). We were suspicious about how much work he was doing so one day when he went home me and my colleague logged onto his computer (we're the IT team so this is allowed). His internet history was just facebook, sickipedia and unilad solidly for 3 of the 5 hours he was there that day and he'd installed minecraft onto the computer. He didn't do half the work that was given to him and just didn't turn up for his last week.

2) just didnt turn up for his interview

3) my boss said he was thinking about bringing a placement student in as it could help with the the workload that we've got on right now. I was sceptical. He missed his first interview and was late for the rescheduled one, an hour early for his induction day, missed his second, 2 hours late for his third day and didn't turn up on his forth day.
This guy did IT at college and wants to work in IT, we're offering him an 8 week placement in the IT department so it's not even like he's being forced to do something he hates.

These three are just the examples i've worked with but have heard similar stories from other departments.

I've worked with other young people such as people trying to bump up the number of hours work experience so they can get on a nursing degree, or people actively seeking work and they're doing roles they don't want to do but they'll say "well it's not what i want to be doing but it's all experience isn't it" and they do their best. But people on Job seekers on placement are just lazy bone idle.

The young unemployed on job seekers are lazy, Discuss.
Reply 1
Well done, you have provided 3 pieces of anecdotal evidence.
Real evidence or stfu.
Reply 2
Original post by blue n white army
Discuss.

The people i'm referring to are the ones who left school/college and went on job seekers.

I work at a large charity and we have a lot of volunteers working alongside the paid staff. We also have contact with the job centre to take people on 8 week long work placements every now and then and I would have to say that none of them have been a success. A couple of examples from recent times

1) Took him on to do some admin work for us as well as a couple of hours of IT work (he did an IT course at college). We were suspicious about how much work he was doing so one day when he went home me and my colleague logged onto his computer (we're the IT team so this is allowed). His internet history was just facebook, sickipedia and unilad solidly for 3 of the 5 hours he was there that day and he'd installed minecraft onto the computer. He didn't do half the work that was given to him and just didn't turn up for his last week.

2) just didnt turn up for his interview

3) my boss said he was thinking about bringing a placement student in as it could help with the the workload that we've got on right now. I was sceptical. He missed his first interview and was late for the rescheduled one, an hour early for his induction day, missed his second, 2 hours late for his third day and didn't turn up on his forth day.
This guy did IT at college and wants to work in IT, we're offering him an 8 week placement in the IT department so it's not even like he's being forced to do something he hates.

These three are just the examples i've worked with but have heard similar stories from other departments.

I've worked with other young people such as people trying to bump up the number of hours work experience so they can get on a nursing degree, or people actively seeking work and they're doing roles they don't want to do but they'll say "well it's not what i want to be doing but it's all experience isn't it" and they do their best. But people on Job seekers on placement are just lazy bone idle.

The young unemployed on job seekers are lazy, Discuss.

I have worked at many charities, with many types of people. Certain young people are as lazy as certain older people. This means that stereotyping a massive group of people is doing nothing but re-enforce this stereotype.

When I sit down with an unemployed young person, having been an unemployed young person at some point in my life, I understand some of the mentality shown. There have been people who have refused to do the job, not show up, sleep in, are hungover, etc.

I could mistake them for some of my co-workers.....

One of the major issues in my city is the lack of any decent jobs. Young, unemployed people who want to work will find work, it could be in a care home cleaning ****, or in Tesco beeping through peoples shopping. Neither of these jobs have the ability to inspire or motivate someone who becomes increasingly bitter and angry at the lack of opportunity they have. They are dead-end, low paid jobs that do not provide adequate or acceptable working experience to move on.

The major problem rests with the unrealistic employer expectations in who they want. They want more working years experience than is actually possible for an 18 year old to have. They want qualifications that are out of reach for many people through a variety of circumstances.

Employers are not willing to take on young people who could very well excel with the job with a bit of guidance, even though these middle to old age employers had that very same guidance when they started their working careers.

I am incredibly lucky that I found a manager that did see qualities in me, even though there were better qualified people for the job. He took a gamble and it paid off massively for both him and me as I am someone who can be relied upon. That is an incredible rarity today.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending