The Student Room Group

Where do we draw the line with the term homophobia ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by shadowdweller
We're devastated. Really blows a hole in the gay agenda.
Hell but I needed a good laugh about now. Thanks for providing it. I'm even tempted to let my "agenda" go so far as to write those oh-so-tedious letters "lol". So I think I will: lol!
Original post by Frocio
Hell but I needed a good laugh about now. Thanks for providing it. I'm even tempted to let my "agenda" go so far as to write those oh-so-tedious letters "lol". So I think I will: lol!

You're welcome :lol:
He's not being serious.

See above.
Reply 183
Original post by KingStannis
No, you may not. Not for the reason you think anyway.

But I don't; the terms have different definitions so obviously aren't synonyms. In fat, can you even get synonyms for sentences? I'm fairly sure, but not certain, that it only applies to individual words with the same meaning.

May I ask, at least with me, you stay on topic? It's appreciated. And, oh by the way, I'm aghast at your infinite knowledge of English grammar protocol...
I really don't mind it, it's their choice who they love and who am I to intervene? I personally would not be in a relationship with someone of the same gender, but that's me, and it's only because I'm not comfortable like that, but then you get all these people that call you gay and call you homophobic, just deal with it. You can't physically control them so why spread the hate?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 185
Original post by Frocio
That's because it's all you allow yourself to see. Does it occur to you that a people so long-oppressed would, initially, be a trifle overly-zealous in the celebration of FINALLY getting their rights to one degree or another? This isn't quantum physics. BUT GOD FORBID IT BE ABOUT SEX. I fear we're still a dreadfully Puritanical/Victorian country when it comes to the real honest-to-goodness enjoyment of our sexuality. Where we show random outrageous violence with complete abandon on television with NO filter, just try and show a female breast or the male buttocks and you're somehow perverse. Of the two, I'll take sex any day of the week. In truth we're a country of huge contradictions. Further, for you to think that anal penetration is solely the turf of homosexual men is laughable. Do you have any idea how many heterosexual man REQUIRE it of their wives and girlfriends? If you don't. You don't get around much.

But we have had pride events for as long as i can remember now. Isnt all the celebration done with? I have no issues with homosexuals..please get along with it and i hope you are all happy. Lord knows life is short. I have also had/read/heard the hetero anal sex argument thrown at me. Believe me,your pushing at an open door. I am very well aware that a minority of women take pleasure from it,some consent knowing it pleases their partner and the majority wont entertain it. I find it abhorrent that a woman should feel compelled to submit to anal penetration by any man if it is against her desires and wishes.

Do you think such men could be in the closet?
Original post by Frocio
May I ask, at least with me, you stay on topic? It's appreciated. And, oh by the way, I'm aghast at your infinite knowledge of English grammar protocol...

Where have I gone off topic?

Oh, and definitions =/= grammar. This is a semantic issue, not a grammatical one :colonhash:

Edit:

My main point was that instead of "synonymous" you should have said "a part of" or "consistent with".

I am a pedant. This matters to me.

Edit 2:

There is a finite amount of knowledge about English Grammar to have, so I don't have an infinite knowledge, no.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Limpopo
Yes i have heard and read that argument before....Im not really sure how or if it works though.

I mean here in Manchester homosexuality is very much in my face but im not protesting and screaming look at me, im str8 and i want str8 rights blah blah blah.. What rights are homosexuals denied now? Havent they more or less got everything they wanted or will there always be something else?

Grow up dude, heterosexuals don't have a long history of persecution and prejudice at the hands of gay people, so you don't really need to assert your heterosexuality. Legal rights are important but they don't count for everything; there have long been laws against assault but men beating their wives and girlfriends is a still routine enough crime to justify campaigns.
Original post by Limpopo
I mean here in Manchester homosexuality is very much in my face but im not protesting and screaming look at me, im str8 and i want str8 rights blah blah blah.. What rights are homosexuals denied now? Havent they more or less got everything they wanted or will there always be something else?

Because it's not like gay people can only get married in 16 countries. And they're obviously not still discriminated against. We need to be protesting heterosexual rights, damn it!
Reply 189
Original post by Axiomasher
Grow up dude, heterosexuals don't have a long history of persecution and prejudice at the hands of gay people, so you don't really need to assert your heterosexuality. Legal rights are important but they don't count for everything; there have long been laws against assault but men beating their wives and girlfriends is a still routine enough crime to justify campaigns.

But that was then and this is now and we are talking about here in the UK. I may be wrong but i think that generally, things have changed a great deal and people are pretty much free to live their lives as they like now ? There will always be conflict and it can be for a large number of reasons. For example, i wish my neighbour was dead and buried but sadly she isnt.

We cant live in the past and must surely look to the future ?
Reply 190
Because it's not like gay people can only get married in 16 countries. And they're obviously not still discriminated against. We need to be protesting heterosexual rights, damn it!

But no one in the UK can do anything about discrimination against homosexuals for example in Mauritania where you will be liable to death by stoning.

I dont think you should be stoned. (assuming your gay).

So why not hold pride events in Mauritania instead of Manchester? The battle is (largely) won here.
Original post by Limpopo
But no one in the UK can do anything about discrimination against homosexuals for example in Mauritania where you will be liable to death by stoning.

So why not hold pride events in Mauritania instead of Manchester? The battle is (largely) won here.

I was talking about the fact that people are still discriminate against here.

Thanks? :lol:

I donate to campaigns in other countries, not much else can be done on an individual level.
Reply 192
Original post by Limpopo
But we have had pride events for as long as i can remember now. Isnt all the celebration done with?
You can answer that one all by yourself. Some gay men (for whom I can only speak), are Hedonistic by nature. I find it (personally mind you, unappealing). But I have no say over how the others express their jubilation.
I have no issues with homosexuals..please get along with it and i hope you are all happy. Lord knows life is short. I have also had/read/heard the hetero anal sex argument thrown at me. Believe me,your pushing at an open door. I am very well aware that a minority of women take pleasure from it,some consent knowing it pleases their partner and the majority wont entertain it.
You're in the minority, I can assure you. Recently, I was with a group of people I know only slightly and I heard one idiot say "the good kind of threesome" (obiously that the MMF kind was NOT to be tolerated and "the bad kind").
I find it abhorrent that a woman should feel compelled to submit to anal penetration by any man if it is against her desires and wishes.
And from what I've gleaned in speaking with college age women it is NOT something they want despite the protestations of most heterosexual men. But more often than not they comply (against their will) "in order to keep him happy". So, I assure you, it's equally abhorrent to me. It's the same old same old: heterosexual men defining what constitutes the sexual "norm".

Do you think such men could be in the closet?
Those particular men? No. But many purportedly heterosexual men are in the closet. To illustrate my point I'll direct you to an online site called "Cam4" where myriads of "heterosexual" men are gay for pay. When are we EVER going to relax about the continuum that IS sexuality. For it's my belief that we ALL fall somewhere on the great gauge of sexuality. Some are well over to the hetero side, others well over to the homo side, but by-in-large most are somewhere along that continuum.
Original post by KingStannis
Not an equivalent point of comparison.

Ok, true. What about instead gender relations? A choice of working even if you are a woman, or to dress as you like and not as you are told, to study and not to uneducated... In the end, all the things that make someone live as a free individual and to realize yourself.
Original post by matthewduncan
Personally Im not a supporter of gay marriage in fact i am totally against it.

You're against equal rights for people based on their sexual orientation? You're homophobic.

Also the thought of two men engaging in sexual acts makes me feel sick to my stomach

You feel sick when two consenting adults have sex purely because of their sexual orientation? Homophobic.

however i can be respectful to gay people if i see them .

You 'can' be respectful, rather than, you 'are' respectful? If it has to take some conscious effort, you're homophobic.

If i saw one getting beaten to the point of near death,if i knew they could die i would try jump in and stop it ,not before obviously because i rarely like getting involved in other peoples dramas unless i like them or know them on a level that i can say boom they are my fam .

Not really sure what you're saying here, but if you would step in earlier for a couple you assumed were straight than for a couple you assumed were gay, that's homophobic.

I also try not to say bad things about them as well.

If it has to take some conscious effort to not say bad things to people based on their sexual orientation, you're homophobic.

Does not supporting gay marriage and being repulsed by the act make me a homophobe ?

Yes.

... where do we draw the line

At allowing equal opportunities for all; regardless of and without prejudice against sexual orientation, preference, sex or gender identity; and treating every individual in the same manner without being blinded by who they like to be with and have sex with.
Reply 195
Original post by Limpopo

The battle is far "from won" ANYWHERE. Do you want the fellow to be stoned, hence your suggestion he experience Mauritania? I will say this: I am sobered by the vast majority of heterosexual replies on this thread. I dearly hope it does not represent a cross section of realistic views generally, but in truth I have my doubts.
If I might interject, there is quite a difference between being against gay people, and being actively against them. You are completely entitled to your opinion on the matter, but if you're trying to restrict the rights of gay people or discriminate against them based on said opinion, then you're not really in a position to complain about people objecting to that.

what about people discriminating against us because of our opinions? if someone hates me and avoids me because of my beliefs how is that any diiferent from me hating and avoiding gays (which i dont).
ps. i dont 'choose' to believe these things, its part of my whole world view and upbringing. literally to me saying 'theres nothing wrong with being gay etc' would be a betrayel to my family and upbringing, to who i am.
maybe that isnt the case with other 'homophobes' but its is with pretty much everyone from for example a muslim background.
and let me assure you if you dont lie when people ask what you think about gay people you WILL be attacked when they ask you your opinion. luckily for me, Ive never given a damn about not being liked by my peers but im just pointing out some hypocrisy in modern society.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 197
Original post by DarkWhite
You're against equal rights for people based on their sexual orientation? You're homophobic.

You feel sick when two consenting adults have sex purely because of their sexual orientation? Homophobic.

You 'can' be respectful, rather than, you 'are' respectful? If it has to take some conscious effort, you're homophobic.

Not really sure what you're saying here, but if you would step in earlier for a couple you assumed were straight than for a couple you assumed were gay, that's homophobic.

If it has to take some conscious effort to not say bad things to people based on their sexual orientation, you're homophobic.

Yes.

At allowing equal opportunities for all; regardless of and without prejudice against sexual orientation, preference, sex or gender identity; and treating every individual in the same manner without being blinded by who they like to be with and have sex with.
You've broken it down to its very foundation. Well done. Pity your truth will be lost on so many. But here's to you for your attempt at straight-forward brevity.
Original post by Harrie Lyons
what about people discriminating against us because of our opinions? if someone hates me and avoids me because of my beliefs how is that any diiferent from me hating and avoiding gays (which i dont).
ps. i dont 'choose' to believe these things, its part of my whole world view and upbringing. literally to me saying 'theres nothing wrong with being gay etc' would be a betrayel to my family and upbringing, to who i am.
maybe that isnt the case with other 'homophobes' but its is with pretty much everyone from for example a muslim background.
and let me assure you if you dont lie when people ask what you think about gay people you WILL be attacked when they ask you your opinion. personally, I dont give a damn about not being liked but im just pointing some hypocrisy in modern society.

Like I said, it entirely depends what you mean by being against gay people. I don't think you should be discriminated against if you hold views that aren't supportive of LGBT+, but if you're actively discriminating against them, you can't expect not to be challenged.

I think people should tolerate gay people, but that doesn't mean you have to be going around saying there's nothing wrong with being gay.
Reply 199

I think people should tolerate gay people, but that doesn't mean you have to be going around saying there's nothing wrong with being gay.
For me there's a vast difference between "tolerance" and "acceptance". One "tolerates" an errant child. I'd far rather meet up with an over homophobe than someone who condescendingly "tolerates" my orientation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending