The Student Room Group

pro ana websites

Not sure if this is the right forum or not.. but do you think it alright to look at the websites for tips to include in your diet? knowing that you don't wanna have an eating disorder but just lose weight. Because some of the tips they give you to curb hunger really do work (or atleast help), but would you consider it wrong to go on those sort of websites if your olny looking to lose weight? Becasue it's not as if you can just develop the disorder (I'm guessing it would take a lot of time to if you could)
Reply 1
there's a huggge thread about this in h&r :smile:
Reply 2
Er, no. Really not - and I would urge anybody thinking of looking at pro-ana or pro-mia websites never to do so.

There are very healthy ways of losing weight, but pro-ana sites will not tell you any of these. The only tips pro-ana sites will give you are unhealthy ones - they are written for anorexics by anorexics, and I certainly would never take advice from an anorexic about food. They will tell you to starve yourself, and make yourself throw up if you do eat something. Pro-ana sites are sick and if you care about your health you should not take any advice from them.
Yeah I would definitely not advise following any of the advice. Don't forget this is advice coming from people that are very ill and are trying to make other people ill. Even if you don't develop the disorder, you could become very ill from following the advice on these websites. They will tell you things like food is bad, which is obviously stupid as you need food to live and it should not be seen as the enemy, something which makes you fat.

The only way to lose weight healthily is to exercise regularly, eat heathily and drink lots of water. Do it properly and you will look good and feel great.
dont look at them dont give the people who made the websites the satisfaction of knowing lots of people visit these sites they should be regulated
Reply 5
They must die.
Reply 6
A lot of it is just common sense or can be found elsewhere, but some of it is actually dangerous. If you want to lose weight, it's better to follow a specific plan or just try to eat healthily. There are a lot of diet programmes on TV, or you can easily pick books up from a charity shop or similar.
Reply 7
there is an abundance of websites which have information on how to lose weight healthily and maintain the weight loss too. you do not need to resort to these websites that have an extreme approach to weight loss.

and you would be surprised how easily an ed can develop. you think you are just looking at the tips to curb your hunger. but then you get sucked into hearing about someone's weight loss "sucess" story, you follow their "tricks" and before you know it you too have an ed. just because you dont want to be emciated and only want to lose a small amount of weight, dont think you cannot get obsessive about it.

if you want to know more about dieting do some proper research instead of going to these sites.
Reply 8
Personally I think by looking at the websites you are just promoting them... supply and demand. They are extremly unsafe... regardless of whether you have an eating disorder or not, it is highly likely that the images, messages and general viewpoints that you will pick up from those websites will be be damaging to your self image/perception/attitude to food.

No no no no no no no don't look at them, there tips are not good in any way shape or form.

Latest