The Student Room Group

FP4 geometrical interpretation of eigenvectors

Hi

I was working with eigenvectors of M representing invariant lines of transformations with matrix M.

Am pastpapering, have come across the interpretation being a plane of invariant points. Please could someone explain to me when, and why, this happens? Is it possibly linked to there being a repeated eigenvalue?

Cheers
Reply 1
Original post by Vernish
Hi

I was working with eigenvectors of M representing invariant lines of transformations with matrix M.

Am pastpapering, have come across the interpretation being a plane of invariant points. Please could someone explain to me when, and why, this happens? Is it possibly linked to there being a repeated eigenvalue?

Cheers

Anyone please?
Eigenvectors indicate the direction which remain invariant and the eigenvalue determines the length.

If the eigenvalue is 1 it means that the points on the invariant line are not stretched so you will have a line of invariant points.
Reply 3
Original post by SherlockHolmes
Eigenvectors indicate the direction which remain invariant and the eigenvalue determines the length.

If the eigenvalue is 1 it means that the points on the invariant line are not stretched so you will have a line of invariant points.

Thanks for your reply! :smile: So how do planes come in? :confused:
Original post by Vernish
Hi

Cheers

If M is the identity matrix then every point of the plane is invariant. If M is a multiple of the identity matrix then every point of the plane will be mapped onto a point of the plane

Hi Mr Holmes, I was looking at a question about the eigenvectors of a matrix and was a bit confused about what this actually meant. Could you clarify this for me please?
Original post by pleasedtobeatyou
Hi Mr Holmes, I was looking at a question about the eigenvectors of a matrix and was a bit confused about what this actually meant. Could you clarify this for me please?

An eigenvector A, must obey the following equation:

Av=λvAv=\lambda v

where v is a vector and a λ\lambda is a multiple of v.
An eigenvector A, must obey the following equation:

Av=λvAv=\lambda v

where v is a vector and a λ\lambda is a multiple of v.

Thank you Mr Holmes, you help has been invaluable.

Repped.
Reply 8
Original post by Vernish
Hi

Cheers

I'm assuming that this is for a 3x3 matrix (although it works for any higher dimension as well), call is MM

If you have any 2 eigenvectors (say u,vu,v with eigenvalues p,qp,q), these span a plane in R3\mathbb{R}^3. Any point in this plane can be written in the form au+bvau+bv for some real numbers a,ba,b. So if ww is a point in the plane,

Mw=M(au+bv)=apu+bqvMw=M(au+bv)=apu+bqv which is a point in the plane (since it is a linear combination of u,vu,v).
Reply 9
Original post by james22
I'm assuming that this is for a 3x3 matrix (although it works for any higher dimension as well), call is MM

If you have any 2 eigenvectors (say u,vu,v with eigenvalues p,qp,q), these span a plane in R3\mathbb{R}^3. Any point in this plane can be written in the form au+bvau+bv for some real numbers a,ba,b. So if ww is a point in the plane,

Mw=M(au+bv)=apu+bqvMw=M(au+bv)=apu+bqv which is a point in the plane (since it is a linear combination of u,vu,v).

Thank you, I think that's made sense. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest