The Student Room Group

Give the formula of the chloride of zirconium in its highest oxidation state

Why is it ZrCl4
Are there other options to choose from?
Reply 2
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Are there other options to choose from?

No it wasn't a multiple choice. All it said was to check the position of Zr in the periodic table and predict the answer from that. I just checked the markscheme and that was the answer they gave.
Original post by lorobolorolo
No it wasn't a multiple choice. All it said was to check the position of Zr in the periodic table and predict the answer from that. I just checked the markscheme and that was the answer they gave.

what do you know about the trends in the available oxidation states of the transition metals?
Reply 4
Original post by JMaydom
what do you know about the trends in the available oxidation states of the transition metals?

All I know is that the oxidation states of transition metals usually go up to +3. We don't usually see a +4 one.
Original post by lorobolorolo
All I know is that the oxidation states of transition metals usually go up to +3. We don't usually see a +4 one.

You do for the 2nd and 3rd transition series. TBH it's probably a bit advanced to go into why this is for school level.
Reply 6
Original post by JMaydom
You do for the 2nd and 3rd transition series. TBH it's probably a bit advanced to go into why this is for school level.

Ah thank you. So which transition metals would have an oxidation state of +4?
Loads, though it's not really the dominant oxidation state for any off the top of my head. Go look up a table of the available oxidation states for the transition metals.

Quick Reply

Latest