The Student Room Group

Legality of male circumcision

Poll

Should parents be able to choose whether to circumcise a newborn boy?

In the poll I refer to parents making a choice on behalf of the child shortly after birth, where no consent can be given by the child.

This assumes that circumcision is fine if the person chooses to have it themselves or if it needs to be done for medical reasons.
I do not believe it should be legal without it being medically indicated, based on the medical opinion quoted in the case In the Matter of Re U

The procedure is not pain free and there are potential risks both physical and psychological, which may be small but which are nonetheless definite.

There's absolutely no reason even a small risk should be taken to the child's health and wellbeing based on some purported need to make a propitiation to a deity
imagine if circumcision didn't exist and someone proposed its legality in 2014
they're be seen as a child abusing dangerous lunatic
and obviously, due to the lack of (usual) medical necessity or consent and the existence of obvious pain involved, I obviously would say it should clearly be illegal against children completely, but not adults, because adults can obviously give consent to the procedures they give themselves
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sunny_Smiles
imagine if circumcision didn't exist and someone proposed its legality in 2014
they're be seen as a child abusing dangerous lunatic
and obviously, due to the lack of (usual) medical necessity or consent and the existence of obvious pain involved, I obviously would say it should clearly be illegal against children completely, but not adults, because adults can obviously give consent to the procedures they give themselves

That's similar to how I think about it, imagine we'd never heard of circumcision, then there was a documentary about some long lost tribe in Africa, and as the guy gets there, there's a ceremony, a religious offical gets a knife, gets a baby boy, and slices his foreskin off. Everyone would say what an awful, savage practise that is.

Parents should not have the right to mutilate their children's bodies in any way.
Reply 4
I always find it amusing that some parents get frowned upon for piercing their daughter's ears when they're only a couple of years old, yet a lot of people think circumcision is fine because of 'culture/religion'.
Reply 5
Circumcision that is not medically necessary should only be performed on consenting parties, circumcision as it is currently practised (e.g soon after the child is born or whilst they're still children) is nothing short of mutilation of a person's before they can give informed consent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending