Scroll to see replies

ive recently moved to canada whooop whooop:woo:
Turbanator
ive recently moved to canada whooop whooop:woo:

where to old boy?
Pocket Calculator
where to old boy?

toronto
lookin thru all the pages i can't find any of them about canada!
i figured i'd repazzent the northies.
where are the rest of the canadians heree?!?! :confused:
I lived in Ottawa for a year, does that count?
Reply 265
Maybe because it's a .co.uk site primarily about English Universities and schools?

I'm sure there's an equivalent site somewhere on the internet for Canadian students
morrison-06

Here....

If you were to spell it 'Represent' though...:p:
morrison-06

There are some Canadians on this site. Some display the Canadian flag and others don't. You will find one another, I promise. :yep:
Well there's someone called thecanadian so i canonly assume...
Reply 269
morrison-06

Canuck here and proudly representing. :yes:
Anything I can do to help?
:-)
Reply 270
I'm currently in Ottawa and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I had the best winter here... skating at the Rideau Canal is cool. Good sense of achievement going skating the full length of the largest skating rink in the world. :biggrin: The moment I got those beaver tails I considered myself a true Ottawan :p:

In summer it's awesome as well. Lots of places to go to. I went to Gatineau park and Mud Lake. Awesome places. First time I see wild turtles in my life! (that was in Mud lake)
KirstyK
Canuck here and proudly representing. :yes:
Anything I can do to help?

Where do you prefer living... Canada or the UK

:love:
Reply 272
ChrisBan
Where do you prefer living... Canada or the UK

:love:

So that is really a difficult question and it's taken me ages to decide on somewhat of an answer. I don't think I've had an accurate representation of living in England, as I live in a bizarre bubble world, so I don't know how well I can analyze it. I really love England for the slower pace of life, the history and cute houses and cafes and bakeries everywhere. The countryside and winding roads are pretty too; but Canada I find the people to be (as a general steroetype) much more friendly and open-people say what they're thinking and what they mean, No one holds back opinions-If they have a problem with you, they will let you know. And I like all the space we have so I can drive a pickup truck on a wide road and see a great vastness of nature that feels untouched. Everything is also so much cheaper in Canada too.

What made you chose Canada for your BUNAC programme if you don't mind me asking-and do you knwo where you'll be going?

KirstyK
So that is really a difficult question and it's taken me ages to decide on somewhat of an answer. I don't think I've had an accurate representation of living in England, as I live in a bizarre bubble world, so I don't know how well I can analyze it. I really love England for the slower pace of life, the history and cute houses and cafes and bakeries everywhere. The countryside and winding roads are pretty too; but Canada I find the people to be (as a general steroetype) much more friendly and open-people say what they're thinking and what they mean, No one holds back opinions-If they have a problem with you, they will let you know. And I like all the space we have so I can drive a pickup truck on a wide road and see a great vastness of nature that feels untouched. Everything is also so much cheaper in Canada too.

What made you chose Canada for your BUNAC programme if you don't mind me asking-and do you knwo where you'll be going?

Cool... how long have you been here for?

I want to do Canada for a number of reasons. I've lived in the US before so it only seems right to live in Canada as well :cool: I love the whole North American culture and its something different from the standard "I'm going to Australia... New Zealand" band wagon that goes around. I also want to get out of the South because we're all grumpy down here (moving to the North of the country is not an option).

I'm probably going to be pretty boring with my location choice, either Vancouver or Toronto. It entirely depends on various issues, whether I have enough money (Vancouver seems super expensive in terms of cost of living, I was looking at insuring a car for the year, and from various forums the standard in BC seems to be about $2000) whether I can be bothered to retake my driving test (BC I'd have to after 90 days, whereas Ontario I wouldn't) and perhaps whether I could get a career related job, which if I could would be more geared towards the Toronto area than Vancouver :biggrin:
Also, looking at the Vancouver winter depresses me at how much rain there is... we complain about what we get here, but in 5-6 months it's almost double what we get in a year here!

Whereabouts are you from?
I'm living in Waterloo Ontario here, going to UW and not liking my choice so I want to do a semester in the UK to get away from this hellhole.
Reply 275
ChrisBan
Cool... how long have you been here for?

I want to do Canada for a number of reasons. I've lived in the US before so it only seems right to live in Canada as well :cool: I love the whole North American culture and its something different from the standard "I'm going to Australia... New Zealand" band wagon that goes around. I also want to get out of the South because we're all grumpy down here (moving to the North of the country is not an option).

I'm probably going to be pretty boring with my location choice, either Vancouver or Toronto. It entirely depends on various issues, whether I have enough money (Vancouver seems super expensive in terms of cost of living, I was looking at insuring a car for the year, and from various forums the standard in BC seems to be about $2000) whether I can be bothered to retake my driving test (BC I'd have to after 90 days, whereas Ontario I wouldn't) and perhaps whether I could get a career related job, which if I could would be more geared towards the Toronto area than Vancouver :biggrin:
Also, looking at the Vancouver winter depresses me at how much rain there is... we complain about what we get here, but in 5-6 months it's almost double what we get in a year here!

Whereabouts are you from?

Not that long comparatively speakin'; only since September. haha funny how you want to get out of the South 'and the North isn't an option'. :tongue: I think people in the North are nice and friendly.

Vancouver is the more expensive city of the two to live in, however the cost of insuring a car for a year is expensive across the entire country. I wouldn't be surprised if it was even perhaps more expensive to insure a car in Ontario. And in Toronto it gets really cold in winter with the windchill, but I guess you get used to such. Although it is a fairly sunny spot all year. And snow in Toronto is really neglible in comparison with the rest of the country. Although anything we get is guaranteed to be more than the entire UK gets in a winter. Big decision to make! When do you need to have it made by?

I live less than an hour's drive north of Toronto, but was born in, and spent a chunk of my early childhoo in the T-Dot, so I may perhaps be biased, :wink: although I know the West coast of the Country is supposed to be amazing, and anyone who goes out there never comes back. Where in the States did you live?
Reply 276
Just finished my undergrad at McMaster University in Hamilton ... Moving back home which is 40 minutes east of Toronto for the summer and then pursuing my post grad in the U.K.!
KirstyK
Not that long comparatively speakin'; only since September. haha funny how you want to get out of the South 'and the North isn't an option'. :tongue: I think people in the North are nice and friendly.

Vancouver is the more expensive city of the two to live in, however the cost of insuring a car for a year is expensive across the entire country. I wouldn't be surprised if it was even perhaps more expensive to insure a car in Ontario. And in Toronto it gets really cold in winter with the windchill, but I guess you get used to such. Although it is a fairly sunny spot all year. And snow in Toronto is really neglible in comparison with the rest of the country. Although anything we get is guaranteed to be more than the entire UK gets in a winter. Big decision to make! When do you need to have it made by?

I live less than an hour's drive north of Toronto, but was born in, and spent a chunk of my early childhoo in the T-Dot, so I may perhaps be biased, :wink: although I know the West coast of the Country is supposed to be amazing, and anyone who goes out there never comes back. Where in the States did you live?

I could happily live with the windchill. Its pretty sad that I'm even considering basing a decision on weather :teehee: I wont have to decide until the end of the year when I apply for the visa, so got plenty of time!

I lived about 20 miles out of Washington DC :biggrin:
Reply 278
ChrisBan

I lived about 20 miles out of Washington DC :biggrin:

Completely and totally envious. :adore:
Did you get to live there for a long period of time?

Rinkler

Just finished my undergrad at McMaster University in Hamilton ... Moving back home which is 40 minutes east of Toronto for the summer and then pursuing my post grad in the U.K.!

Cool stuff! Where are you going to do your postgrad/what are you going to do? :ninja: Oshawa native? :ninja:
CrackedCan
I'm living in Waterloo Ontario here, going to UW and not liking my choice so I want to do a semester in the UK to get away from this hellhole.

haha, what do you do there? i've just come back from staying in Waterloo for two weeks, i know people at WLU...

(not a big fan of the town to be honest...)

Quick Reply

Latest