The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Diversity at Uni of Bath

Hi everyone!

Bath is my top pick for university and was wondering what the diversity is like there. I’m a south asian and I think I would feel more comfortable attending a university knowing there are lots of people similar to me. I’ve tried looking stuff up on the student room but everything is so outdated so I can’t really make up my mind.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi everyone!

Bath is my top pick for university and was wondering what the diversity is like there. I’m a south asian and I think I would feel more comfortable attending a university knowing there are lots of people similar to me. I’ve tried looking stuff up on the student room but everything is so outdated so I can’t really make up my mind.

Hi
I understand your concerns. Bath is a great Uni and diverse nicely. Question you should check is how much you can blend in? Life after Uni is same so best is you to adapt to that.
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hi everyone!

Hi
I understand your concerns but same time not trying to be rude : If you are really 'comfortable attending a university knowing there are lots of people similar to me' then it has to be in the South Asia. Bath is a great Uni and diverse nicely. Question you should check is how much you can blend in? Life after Uni is same so best is you to adapt to that.

Errr no. You don’t have to go to South Asia lmao.. there are diverse unis with more south asian people. I am brown and this was one of my biggest concerns. Don’t tell anyone to blend in I understand how important it is to find your own people. I’d say Cardiff and bristol have more diversity in the south region
Hi everyone!

Hi,

It's great to hear that Bath is your top pick university! As a South Asian student myself (Sri Lankan), I also had similar thoughts and wanted to meet other students from the same culture and background as me. I will be honest and say that Bath as a city itself is not as diverse, but the University and student population definitely is!

We have many ethnic and cultural societies which can be found here https://www.thesubath.com/socs/, many of which host events throughout the year that allows you to meet similar students. Many of the south Asian societies including Tamil society, Malayalee soc and Indian soc collaborate on events, such as the annual Diwali ball, which gives an opportunity to dress in traditional clothing, a sit-down dinner and club night, as well as meeting other South Asian students from different cultures. You can also start your own society too or be part of an existing committee!

I have found Bath to be an inclusive and diverse environment, and I feel supported by both the university and the students here. You can read more about how we support inclusion and belonging here https://www.bath.ac.uk/professional-services/equality-diversity-and-inclusion/ and feel free to ask me any more questions or express your concerns, and I would be happy to help!

Sharon (3rd year student)

Quick Reply

Latest