The Student Room Group

Do Canadian universities accept foundation year courses for admission?

Do Canadian universities accept foundation year courses for admission?
Thank you!
Please! Anyone! ??
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
hi! sorry! very very very late! i'm not entirely sure what you're asking (i am unclear on what a 'foundation year' entails)... however, and this is a stab in the dark, if you've already taking classes that are at a university level, i believe most (if not all) canadian universities would take that into consideration and would, if your results were adequate, be able to grant you advanced standing (so you'd start your studies there with some credits under your belt). i would love to help you more, i'd just need more information on what your 'foundation year' was (sorry if it's a UK thing that i'm unaware of, i'm canadian) :smile:
Original post by jamiieh
hi! sorry! very very very late! i'm not entirely sure what you're asking (i am unclear on what a 'foundation year' entails)... however, and this is a stab in the dark, if you've already taking classes that are at a university level, i believe most (if not all) canadian universities would take that into consideration and would, if your results were adequate, be able to grant you advanced standing (so you'd start your studies there with some credits under your belt). i would love to help you more, i'd just need more information on what your 'foundation year' was (sorry if it's a UK thing that i'm unaware of, i'm canadian) :smile:

Hello! Foundation year course is equivalent to A levels (grade 12) - for example: if they don't have prerequisites- one can take foundation year and then start the relevant degree program. some people and university, such as UBC told me that they don't accept foundation year courses. I am worried about this.
Reply 3
oh ok, thanks for clarifying! i can't speak with any authority on this, but if as part of a foundation year you completed classes/obtained credits equivalent to those a canadian high school student would have to obtain, i would imagine that many canadian universities would be open to accepting those as 'equivalents' to the prerequisites. most that i've seen would be open to accepting these credits as parts of the prerequisites, as long as they are judged equivalent (from what i've read now about foundation year courses, i would reckon they could quite easily be equivalent to canadian high school credits) - which would allow you to enter an undergrad program.

i suppose if UBC told you they didn't accept foundation year courses, the only way to really make sure would be to contact (usually by email) the other universities you're looking into and detail the credits you've obtained through your foundation year as well as the programs you're interested in. they should be able to give you more definitive answers than i can! i don't see why a foundation year would be automatically disregarded, but then again, i don't work in admissions for a university :smile: if you're worried about it, i would communicate directly with the universities so you can get definitive answers. (and if you find that you don't meet the prerecs and are interested in exploring other possibilities, there are definitely options here in canada that would allow you to make up the credits you're missing)... hope this helps!!
Original post by jamiieh
oh ok, thanks for clarifying! i can't speak with any authority on this, but if as part of a foundation year you completed classes/obtained credits equivalent to those a canadian high school student would have to obtain, i would imagine that many canadian universities would be open to accepting those as 'equivalents' to the prerequisites. most that i've seen would be open to accepting these credits as parts of the prerequisites, as long as they are judged equivalent (from what i've read now about foundation year courses, i would reckon they could quite easily be equivalent to canadian high school credits) - which would allow you to enter an undergrad program.

i suppose if UBC told you they didn't accept foundation year courses, the only way to really make sure would be to contact (usually by email) the other universities you're looking into and detail the credits you've obtained through your foundation year as well as the programs you're interested in. they should be able to give you more definitive answers than i can! i don't see why a foundation year would be automatically disregarded, but then again, i don't work in admissions for a university :smile: if you're worried about it, i would communicate directly with the universities so you can get definitive answers. (and if you find that you don't meet the prerecs and are interested in exploring other possibilities, there are definitely options here in canada that would allow you to make up the credits you're missing)... hope this helps!!

Thank you so much for your reply!! :biggrin: :biggrin: I have mailed some of the unis, hoping to get their response!
Reply 5
Hey did you get any responses? especially any unis in Ontario? :smile: I'm in the same situation! What kind of foundation year are you doing btw?
Can you please let me know which univirsities accept/provide foundation year programmes in canada ???
Original post by Daniya Osama
Can you please let me know which univirsities accept/provide foundation year programmes in canada ???

Have you done your research? A simple Google search gets you the answers you need.

The list goes on, but here are a few.

1) Ryerson
2) U of T
3) University of King's College
4) UNBC
5) U of Calgary
6) SSU
7) Brescia
hey did u get any response bcus I'm in a somewhat similar situation
Reply 9
Original post by captainpaki
hey did u get any response bcus I'm in a somewhat similar situation

Bro did you get the admission ?
Original post by Daniya Osama

Which universities did you find that accept the foundation? In the same situation right now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending