The Student Room Group

Canadian Soc anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ncorda
P's and Q's in order? What do you mean by that?

And yes I have booked the flight! So I hope everything goes smoothly

It's just a saying meaning as long as you've double-checked that everything has been sent properly, etc. it should be fine.
Reply 481
Original post by punctuation
It's just a saying meaning as long as you've double-checked that everything has been sent properly, etc. it should be fine.

Cheers punctuation!

ncorda

P's and Q's in order? What do you mean by that?

And yes I have booked the flight! So I hope everything goes smoothly

Punctuation's right, it's just a saying. Sorry for the confusion. :redface:

You'll be fine! :smile:
Reply 482
Original post by KirstyK
Cheers punctuation!

Punctuation's right, it's just a saying. Sorry for the confusion. :redface:

You'll be fine! :smile:

Haha thanks! :tongue:
Original post by ncorda
I have not submitted the visa application yet as I dont have my CAS# from Cranfield University.

If your offer has been unconditional for a while, you might want to contact Cranfield about you CAS#. If you start school in September, you only have 2 weeks left. You can gather all your necessary documents now, and fill out the application within a day of getting your CAS. But from there it could be a few days to get an appointment and two or more weeks for the visa to be issued and in your hands. (mine took three weeks from the date I submitted it at the office)
Reply 484
Original post by sumergocogito
If your offer has been unconditional for a while, you might want to contact Cranfield about you CAS#. If you start school in September, you only have 2 weeks left. You can gather all your necessary documents now, and fill out the application within a day of getting your CAS. But from there it could be a few days to get an appointment and two or more weeks for the visa to be issued and in your hands. (mine took three weeks from the date I submitted it at the office)

My offer has been unconditional for 2 weeks now, and they just contacted me saying I should get the CAS# soon.
Ill be flying september 25th, so I have time but dont want the visa to cut it so close!

Does anyone know a cheap service for door-door shipping? Fedex grounds, UPS and some other shipping companies are quationg about $300-500 for 2 big suitcases. In that case it seems better to pay excess baggage on my flight
Reply 485
Original post by ncorda
My offer has been unconditional for 2 weeks now, and they just contacted me saying I should get the CAS# soon.
Ill be flying september 25th, so I have time but dont want the visa to cut it so close!

Does anyone know a cheap service for door-door shipping? Fedex grounds, UPS and some other shipping companies are quationg about $300-500 for 2 big suitcases. In that case it seems better to pay excess baggage on my flight

You may wish to look into some freight forwarders. Not familiar with any in Toronto, but from experience, two suitcases weighing less than 30kg should be plenty for a term or a full year of university.
Original post by ncorda

Just for your reference, my visa took a total of 3 weeks from the date I submitted it at the office, and four weeks if you count from the date I submitted the online application. The visa processing times on the ukba website are not relevant since they are reflective of claims made in June, when there are a lot less applications.

AirTransat charges an extra $60 for an extra piece of luggage (originally 1), and to increase your total luggage weight by 10kg. Two large pieces of luggage at 33kg in total, plus one carry-on, plus one handbag/camera bag should be enough. I figured that I'd need less luggage space going to the UK, versus studying locally, since I'll have to buy new appliances and storage bins when I get to the UK.
I moved out to Vancover from England about 3 weeks ago :smile:
Reply 488
Just for your reference, my visa took a total of 3 weeks from the date I submitted it at the office, and four weeks if you count from the date I submitted the online application. The visa processing times on the ukba website are not relevant since they are reflective of claims made in June, when there are a lot less applications.

WHOA!! A month, wow If Cranfield takes its sweet ass time with my CAS# I might not be able to get the visa in time for my flight! :eek:
Original post by ncorda
WHOA!! A month, wow If Cranfield takes its sweet ass time with my CAS# I might not be able to get the visa in time for my flight! :eek:

You might want to call them and hurry them along. Don't worry to much though. The visa office does take your departure date and course start date in mind. I know someone who got their visa within the week last year, because she applied with only a week and a half left! Either way, you should hurry Cranfield. Also, you should gather all your documents now.
Reply 490
Did you guys bother sending in any additional documents? I figured since we're all Canadian there's really no need.
Original post by complex88
Did you guys bother sending in any additional documents? I figured since we're all Canadian there's really no need.

As low risk applicants you are not required to provide all documents. But it is always safe to provide everything especially if your course start date is coming up. If the visa office requests for more information you have to send it to New York and your application is waiting in a queue again. If it's not too much work it's better to be safe right? After all the studying and test taking it doesn't seem like much work.
Reply 492
As low risk applicants you are not required to provide all documents. But it is always safe to provide everything especially if your course start date is coming up. If the visa office requests for more information you have to send it to New York and your application is waiting in a queue again. If it's not too much work it's better to be safe right? After all the studying and test taking it doesn't seem like much work.

I just wasn't sure if the extra documents would slow my case down any. I'll make sure to fill out my Appendix accordingly, and include the documents.

Thanks.
I'm Canadian :smile: Will be studying at the University of Essex in the Fall! Anyone else?
Original post by complex88
I just wasn't sure if the extra documents would slow my case down any. I'll make sure to fill out my Appendix accordingly, and include the documents.

Thanks.

I know someone who applied last year and included all the documents. she got her visa issued within the week.
I know someone who applied last year and included all the documents. she got her visa issued within the week.

But Canada is listed as a low-risk country. Surely the fact that documents were included didn't help her case especially? :s-smilie:
Original post by punctuation
But Canada is listed as a low-risk country. Surely the fact that documents were included didn't help her case especially? :s-smilie:

It might not have, but it couldn't have slowed it down significantly or at all. It was just a case for reference.
It might not have, but it couldn't have slowed it down significantly or at all. It was just a case for reference.

Okay, then. Thanks for the note, anyway.
Reply 498
I moved out from Canada (Ottawa) when I was 11 - I'm 19 now, I miss it so much! My accent is the most messed up thing ever!

I miss Poutine and singing the national anthem every morning and how it had REAL seasons hehe.. Just little things you don't realize are important to you until they're gone :tongue:
Original post by benkopite
I moved out from Canada (Ottawa) when I was 11 - I'm 19 now, I miss it so much! My accent is the most messed up thing ever!

I miss Poutine and singing the national anthem every morning and how it had REAL seasons hehe.. Just little things you don't realize are important to you until they're gone :tongue:

Singing the national anthem? :confused: I don't think I can miss that one.

Oh, I will miss poutine.. :cry: Seasons, perhaps not so much. I like the weather being more consistent. I will miss snow, though.

Quick Reply

Latest