The Student Room Group

Functions

f(x)=x22xf(x) = x^2 - 2x with domain x 1

Find:

a) the inverse
b) state the range of the inverse

Need assistance with part a)

Completing the square gives the inverse as f1(x)=1±x+1f^{-1}(x) = 1 \pm \sqrt{x + 1}

How do I know to take the positive or negative square root as the inverse?

Edit: Alright, so I know how to answer the question e.g. if x=2x = 2 then f(2)=0f(2)= 0

f1(0)=1+0+1=2f^{-1}(0) = 1 + \sqrt{0 + 1} = 2

f1(0)=10+1=0f^{-1}(0) = 1 - \sqrt{0 + 1} = 0

So the inverse is f1(x)=1+x+1f^{-1}(x) = 1 + \sqrt{x + 1}

What I don't quite get is what the post #2 is trying to convey.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Inevitable

Find:

a) the inverse

b) The range of the inverse is the domain of f(x) which is x 1

Completing the square gives the inverse as f1(x)=1±x+1f^{-1}(x) = 1 \pm \sqrt{x + 1}

The function g(x) = 1 - sqrt(1+x) (with domain x >= -1) gets very negative as x gets large, so its range certainly can't be x >= 1...
Reply 2
Original post by Hodor
The function g(x) = 1 - sqrt(1+x) (with domain x >= -1) gets very negative as x gets large, so its range certainly can't be x >= 1...

I assume you mean the function g(x) with range x -1 and not domain x -1?
Reply 3
I assume you mean the function g(x) with range x -1 and not domain x -1?

No he means domain. He's asking you to think about how that function behaves when x takes on large values.

Find:

a) the inverse

b) The range of the inverse is the domain of f(x) which is x 1

You know that the range is >=1

If you use the negative root you get values below 1 so that cannot be right, can it
Reply 5
Original post by davros
No he means domain. He's asking you to think about how that function behaves when x takes on large values.

We don't know the domain of g(x) - in this case the inverse. We can figure it out by figuring out the range of f(x) but that would be extra work.

Let's say I plugged in random numbers, x = 35 into f1(35)=135+1=5f^{-1}(35) = 1 - \sqrt{35 + 1} = -5. That is a negative image/range value, so clearly f1(x)=1x+1f^{-1}(x) = 1 - \sqrt{x + 1} cannot be the inverse as the range found by just looking at f(x) would be invalid which cannot be the case.

What I'm curious about now my first statement in this post - the domain of g(x). Did he figure it out? Was it even necessary? Can't you just plug in random large values?
Reply 6
We don't know the domain of g(x) - in this case the inverse. We can figure it out by figuring out the range of f(x) but that would be extra work.

Let's say I plugged in random numbers, x = 35 into f1(35)=135+1=5f^{-1}(35) = 1 - \sqrt{35 + 1} = -5. That is a negative image/range value, so clearly f1(x)=1x+1f^{-1}(x) = 1 - \sqrt{x + 1} cannot be the inverse as the range found by just looking at f(x) would be invalid which cannot be the case.

What I'm curious about now my first statement in this post - the domain of g(x). Did he figure it out? Was it even necessary? Can't you just plug in random large values?

This hardly requires any extra work - if you complete the square in the expression for f(x) you can immediately see what its range is.

Regardless, if you look at your 2 possible candidates for the inverse, both are defined for x >= -1, but one returns negative values for large x and the other one doesn't, which shows that only one of them can be suitable as the inverse for your original function,

Quick Reply

Latest