The Student Room Group

Largest men's rights conference of its kind threatened with cancellation by feminists

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the_lost_boy
I've gotten messages telling me to kill myself because I had the audacity to question something that a popular tumblr-feminist said (she said that you can choose to be gay for political reasons, and as an LGBT person I know that this is something that anti-LGBT people have been saying for years, and I know that I was born this way... and it just makes me want to break something thinking that a so called ally would say this).

Thank you for posting this - I'd been wandering about it for a while: My friend mentioned political lesbianism and I remember being perplexed/thinking that that was pretty anti-lgbt - implying that you can choose - so while I'm sorry that such views exist, I'm glad to have had that clarified! I get quite confused about LGBT issues a lot of the time/more difficult to get my head round (I'm sorry to admit)
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Seems immature to have "men's rights" conferences when historically women needed equal rights.

Also the cause of feminism is still relevant even if you disagree with their tactics. Of course men and women should have equal rights, but feminism helps to get on a level playing field. And men aren't victims, apart from when it comes to parenting rights.

You say feminism helps to level the playing field, but this suggests there is only one playing field. There are many aspects of life, and in some aspects men are ahead, and in other aspects women are ahead. Feminism focuses on those aspects where men have an advantage, and men's rights activists focus on the aspects where women have an advantage.

Overall both movements are working towards an equal society and there is no harm in that.
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
You say feminism helps to level the playing field, but this suggests there is only one playing field. There are many aspects of life, and in some aspects men are ahead, and in other aspects women are ahead. Feminism focuses on those aspects where men have an advantage, and men's rights activists focus on the aspects where women have an advantage.

Overall both movements are working towards an equal society and there is no harm in that.

Women don't actually have any advantages. Most of the MRM arguments have either been proven wrong (like false rape claims and bias in child custody) while many others as a product of patriarchy, which men's rights CANNOT fix within a culture that glorifies male strength and violence.

The whole 'men get laughed at when women rape them' is a perfect example of this, that the MRM will never change while they encourage a downright predatory view of male sexuality.
Original post by emiliestirling
Women don't actually have any advantages. Most of the MRM arguments have either been proven wrong (like false rape claims and bias in child custody) while many others as a product of patriarchy, which men's rights CANNOT fix within a culture that glorifies male strength and violence.

The whole 'men get laughed at when women rape them' is a perfect example of this, that the MRM will never change while they encourage a downright predatory view of male sexuality.

Whether women's advantages are a product of patriarchy or not, it doesn't make them any less real. Men's rights can fix these problems, because men's rights isn't about glorifying male strength and violence.

They've been proven wrong? Links?

One thing I found a bit worrying the other day with regards to the rape thing- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27726280 . I just thought "hang on, what if those 40% of men being found not guilty are, y'know, not guilty?". That woman seems to be operating under the assumption that all men on trial for rape are guilty, which totally goes against our democratic traditions. The last thing we should want to do is pressure judges and juries to convict when there is reasonable doubt. Looking at the last few years, the number of rapists convicted seems quite steady, when there's more cases there's a lower percentage convicted, probably because there were more weaker cases bought to court.

As someone who has had a friend accused of rape (police investigated and decided there wasn't a strong enough case to go to court) and who has been, with his friends, accused of a sexual assault (not to police, she just started a rumour), I'm a little sensitive to the attitude which seems to assume guilt on men accused of these crimes.

Why can't men's rights fix a culture that glorifies male strength and violence? Don't we need people on our side telling us we don't have to act a certain way, fighting stereotypes?

I don't think that's true. We know, from a video you probably saw, men get laughed at when women domestically abuse them, though. We make up 40% of people who've been domestically abused, do you really think public attitudes reflect that?
Original post by Mankytoes
They've been proven wrong? Links?

One thing I found a bit worrying the other day with regards to the rape thing- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27726280 . I just thought "hang on, what if those 40% of men being found not guilty are, y'know, not guilty?". That woman seems to be operating under the assumption that all men on trial for rape are guilty, which totally goes against our democratic traditions. The last thing we should want to do is pressure judges and juries to convict when there is reasonable doubt. Looking at the last few years, the number of rapists convicted seems quite steady, when there's more cases there's a lower percentage convicted, probably because there were more weaker cases bought to court.

As someone who has had a friend accused of rape (police investigated and decided there wasn't a strong enough case to go to court) and who has been, with his friends, accused of a sexual assault (not to police, she just started a rumour), I'm a little sensitive to the attitude which seems to assume guilt on men accused of these crimes.

Why can't men's rights fix a culture that glorifies male strength and violence? Don't we need people on our side telling us we don't have to act a certain way, fighting stereotypes?

I don't think that's true. We know, from a video you probably saw, men get laughed at when women domestically abuse them, though. We make up 40% of people who've been domestically abused, do you really think public attitudes reflect that?

If I thought for 1 minute you were actually interested, I'd go track them down. But from my experience, and you're other comments, you have absolutely ZERO interest in critical analysis of the issues. That you clearly are relying on people how AREN'T feminists, to claim what their positions are, says it further.
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
Whether women's advantages are a product of patriarchy or not, it doesn't make them any less real. Men's rights can fix these problems, because men's rights isn't about glorifying male strength and violence.

You clearly haven't looked down the rabbit hole. I was once involved in the MRM... I know EXACTLY what their motivations are.
You clearly haven't looked down the rabbit hole. I was once involved in the MRM... I know EXACTLY what their motivations are.

I don't think people are necessarily saying that the MRM are the shining example of men's rights - just that it is clear that some sort of movement for male equal rights is needed.
If I thought for 1 minute you were actually interested, I'd go track them down. But from my experience, and you're other comments, you have absolutely ZERO interest in critical analysis of the issues. That you clearly are relying on people how AREN'T feminists, to claim what their positions are, says it further.

What comments? I don't know why you're so pissy at me when I've actually been arguing against this men's rights group on this thread, and saying how I support feminist causes. That last sentance doesn't even make sense.

I don't know if you're just dodging the question, I assume you are, because how could anyone "prove" those issues are "wrong"? I mean politics is all about subjective opinions, but I'm sure you're aware men are far less likely to get custody, and that false rape claims do exist, so how can they be proven wrong? You aren't going to win anyone over by making bold claims and then getting defensive when asked to provide evidence.

Then you completely ignore all my other questions when I try to engage you on issues like rape convictions. How are you going to promote feminism when you won't even put forward your views? This is exactly why people mock "internet feminism".
Reply 89
Original post by Darien
Yes, that's the attitude of a lot of people. Society expects women to complain about things and does a great deal when women raise an issue.

But when men complain, they get labelled with things like 'a bunch of whiney *****' and expected to shut up.

Yes, these kind of gender-based double standards are ridiculous. Feminists critique traditional gender roles until they go against female advantage. Then they are all for traditional gender roles - like making complaining a woman's prerogative, while shaming males for speaking out as "pussies".

Feminists are slitting their own throats, methinks. They must take people for idiots to think they cannot see through their double standards. Only like typical spoiled brats, they then attack people who can see through their games.
Original post by purple-duck
I don't think people are necessarily saying that the MRM are the shining example of men's rights - just that it is clear that some sort of movement for male equal rights is needed.
Male equal rights? Name a right, NOT a statistic, that women have that men don't have. MRA's always make this claim and it's absolutely untrue.
Original post by mancheeze
Male equal rights? Name a right, NOT a statistic, that women have that men don't have. MRA's always make this claim and it's absolutely untrue.

Well, I think that society's current pressure on men to be "manly" or to "man up" are unfair - and while I sort of hate these "social issue" videos - having watched one recently and the video's statistic that 40% of domestic abuse happens against men (a statistic oh my gosh :eek:) - I think that this needs to be taken seriously.
I'm not at all the most clued up on male rights, but I don't see why there shouldn't be a men's movement for equality/fairness - Current groups might be offensive/misogynist, but that doesn't mean that the concept of a men's movement should be sullied.
Pretty sure the Hotel came out and said that they had received no death threats. Even if they did, the first action would be to contact the police. Police were asked about this and said they had no knowledge of it. In any case MRAs don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to death threats, cyber-stalking and harassment. They lied about 'angry fems with boxcutters' before, so I've no clue why we should take them at their word now.

Not that this movement is even remotely interesting or valid; they don't care about men or masculinity, they're solely interested in their own self-pity and bellyaching about certain behaviors carrying mild social ramifications now. Elam is most definitely a misogynist and a sympathetic towards dangerous/abusive men.
You know some day I'm going to find these women and be like "Hey ********s! Stop it. You're making the rest of us look bad." And this is coming from someone who is (technically) a feminist.
Original post by yo radical one
Feminists and MRA's are two sides of the same coin

Both are generally made up of angry middle-class White people

Both have a totally unjustified sense of their own victimihood

Both tend to over-intellectualise their total non-movements

Both concern themselves too much with changing the world to suit their own (unrealistic) ideal, as opposed to accepting how the world actually is and concerning themselves with managing their own place it in

Both tend to really love going to meetings and belonging to groups

and both need to shut the **** up

They should just delete all over replies. Truer words were never spoken.
Reply 95
Original post by mancheeze

The right to not be Teflon and still be respected.
I just wish we lived in a world where this thread didn't even have to happen. Where there was no such thing as MRAs, or feminism, or any kind of humanitarian activist groups -because they're not needed.

Unfortunately, we're stuck with this ****ing bull**** instead. I'm just going to get drunk.
Original post by 4.2.0
If you look at some of the cited works and essays under the Wikipedia page (shocking I know:eek:) for Men's Rights Activists, you'll see that the movement from the start has always been a counter-feminist one. Today, MRA groups' aims actually mirror those of the large majority of feminist ones, such as the ones you mentioned (if you want me to explain how this is the case then do let me know!).

The problem is they feel that the acquisition of women's rights in some areas will lead to the loss of men's rights in others which is not the case. The whole us and them mentality comes from both sides being far too easily drawn in by the more radical groups, and they spend more time beating each other up rather than pursuing the ultimate aim is achieving both legal, economic and social equality.

I want you to explain how this is the case. What specifically have feminist groups done to combat or question injustices against men such as those the previous poster listed?

Empty platitudes won't cut it either. Specific single-issue campaigns or nothing.

So the thing to change, in your view, is whether men get laughed at or not, not whether they get raped or not. Charming. I expect you'd have been a nice plantation owner who let the slaves support each other emotionally by singing gospel in the evenings. And blaming rape by women on predatory male sexuality is victim-blaming par excellence...

Your error is to assume that patriarchy, which is what you call oppressive power structures, emanates from the supposed evolutionary psychology of the male rather than the natural actions of all humans when in a position of power, and the natural disposition of all those humans who are most likely to exert oppressive power.

If I can go all Latin for a moment this is an a priori, ex nihilo theoretical framework whose only justification is that men are historically more likely to hold formal, titled positions of power. That's not remotely good enough for me, I'm afraid, or are you unfamiliar with the concept of soft power? I'm not even asking for a reductionist data-driven approach, I'm saying that you can use a theoretical framework for analysis but only with extensive and robust justification, and recognising that the theory is only a model and not an exhaustive description.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Algorithm69
Rape hysteria is the result of feminism. It is Schrodinger's rapist, the attempt to portray all men as rapists, the constant false rape statistics thrown around by feminists, and the attempt to portray our society as a "rape culture". It is an hysteria which feminists have created which, paradoxically, might be making rape victims more unlikely to go to the police. When RAINN, the largest anti-sexual assault charity in America, says the concept of "rape culture" is garbage, you should probably listen:

https://rainn.org/news-room/rainn-urges-white-house-task-force-to-overhaul-colleges-treatment-of-rape

It is also obvious that A Voice For Men is describing western society, not India.

Yep, but feminist groups don't care tuppence about whether rape victims get justice. They care about talking up the issues to get the next tranche of funding. Long-term, they care about keeping women, the largest (and only absolute majority) electorate in the identity politics fold, voting for that political party which gives feminist groups funding. Best way to make women vote along feminist lines is to make them live in fear, and men are a great fear (or hate) object: they're a familiar presence in all women's lives, and they're outwardly identifiable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending