The Student Room Group

Can non-natives really be considered British?

Scroll to see replies

As a an arab nop non natives are not British or English,we are just expats-immigrants.
Slightly unrelated, but would you say that your ethnic origin/skin colour affects your chances of getting into University, even with decent grades?
Reply 342
Original post by simpletech668
Slightly unrelated, but would you say that your ethnic origin/skin colour affects your chances of getting into University, even with decent grades?

I think that depends on the admissions officer, some will be biased for and some against and some impartial

You probably wouldn't be able to prove either way though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mubariz
I think that depends on the admissions officer, some will be biased for and some against and some impartial

You probably wouldn't be able to prove either way though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, it's just that my parents keep going on about how, because of my skin colour (even though I have a british passport etc.), I have to work twice as hard to get given similar oppurtunities to white people.

I try not to take it seriously, hoping that people are better than that but it's definitely cast some doubt into whether I can get into Uni of not!
The way I see it: you got a British Passport? You British.

But by blood it's different, not that it makes any difference, it's just interesting to know where you come from. Take me, for example, I'm British, I have a British passport, but by Blood I'm half English (original settlers with probably a bit of some other invaders mixed in somewhere) and half Eastern European Jewish. I'm still British, I'm just interested in my bloodline. If a man with a thick Indian accent who was not born here has a British, and only a British passport, he is British with Indian origin. Still a citizen of Britain who pays taxes and contributes to our society.
Reply 345
Original post by simpletech668
Thanks, it's just that my parents keep going on about how, because of my skin colour (even though I have a british passport etc.), I have to work twice as hard to get given similar oppurtunities to white people.

I try not to take it seriously, hoping that people are better than that but it's definitely cast some doubt into whether I can get into Uni of not!

I'd like to think people are above that now especially when it comes to such a case, I wouldn't worry.

Original post by marm-alade
The way I see it: you got a British Passport? You British.

But by blood it's different, not that it makes any difference, it's just interesting to know where you come from. Take me, for example, I'm British, I have a British passport, but by Blood I'm half English (original settlers with probably a bit of some other invaders mixed in somewhere) and half Eastern European Jewish. I'm still British, I'm just interested in my bloodline. If a man with a thick Indian accent who was not born here has a British, and only a British passport, he is British with Indian origin. Still a citizen of Britain who pays taxes and contributes to our society.

I agree entirely with what you said. I originate from Afghanistan and I am Afghani, but that doesn't make me any less British than anybody else

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mubariz
I'd like to think people are above that now especially when it comes to such a case, I wouldn't worry.

I agree entirely with what you said. I originate from Afghanistan and I am Afghani, but that doesn't make me any less British than anybody else

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks and I also agree with the above point as well. I was born and brought up in the UK and I'd say I'm British. Have always had a British passport but with an Overseas Citizen of India stamp in my passport which is valid for my life.

It's just my skin colour and my name which "separates" me if you like....
No. In the same way that I wouldnt be (quite rightly) a white Indian or Chinese.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending