The Student Room Group

Can non-natives really be considered British?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by CryptoidAlien
I'm Spanish and agree. Most Muslims on here are getting angry because English people dare to say England belongs to them lol. I've logged on and seen around 5 angry posts for a simple, obvious statement. Makes one realize how they're no different to the guy who posted the sign in East London doesn't it......

Odd considering how territorial and etho-sensetive Islamic culture is, they claim the Middle East belongs to Muslims, they claim Palestine belongs to Muslims, they claim certain communitities on the UK are 'Pakistani communities' and 'their areas' or 'their countries'. :biggrin: In fact, every race and culture does it, except certain ones are not allowed because their culture is grandiose and demanding.

I disagree with the sign, I disagree with anybodies claim to a land mass, don't drag in a country that happens to share my religion, you are debating with me, not them.
Just out of curiosity, Green Marble, do you consider anyone born in England British? If not, then have you got any proof that your ancestors were part of the original tribes who formed England over 1000 years ago? Or were you just born here, white, and assumed they were?

Anyway, I don't believe England 'belongs' to any ethnicity. It belongs to the citizens of Britain. How you catagorise someone as a citizen is another matter altogether.
Original post by Mubariz
I cannot prove they don't exist.
You believe that they do exist, therefore you have to prove that they do exist - I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding proving something doesn't exist.

The burden of proof rests with anybody making the claim yes, making the claim that they don't exist means you have the burden of proof.

We do not claim that we can prove that jinns do not exist. We claim that because there is no evidence suggesting the existence of jinns we have no reason to believe that they do exist (just as we have no reason to believe that 100m tall unicorns exist).

I have a scripture I believe to be reputable, now ether you take this or not is another matter, but since you cannot prove they can't exist, please cease to say they don't.

Writing that '100m tall unicorns exist' does not constitute proof for the existence of 100m tall unicorns. I hope you will be able to recognise this.

I cannot prove that 100m unicorns do not exist but I will continue to insist that I have no reason to believe that they exist and therefore they almost certainly don't.
Reply 63
Original post by Law-Hopeful
You believe that they do exist, therefore you have to prove that they do exist - I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding proving something doesn't exist.

We do not claim that we can prove that jinns do not exist. We claim that because there is no evidence suggesting the existence of jinns we have no reason to believe that they do exist (just as we have no reason to believe that 100m tall unicorns exist).

Writing that '100m tall unicorns exist' does not constitute proof for the existence of 100m tall unicorns. I hope you will be able to recognise this.

I cannot prove that 100m unicorns do not exist but I will continue to insist that I have no reason to believe that they exist and therefore they almost certainly don't.

I did not say they exist, I believe they do. Now I'm not enforcing this belief upon you as it is inside my head, I didn't tell you they existed nor do I intend to, I am not claiming that they exist (if you get what I'm saying)

It wasn't you, but the other person said they didn't exist, so he now has to prove they don't, and because he can't the conclusion is simple and it's the one you have. Although there is no reason for you to believe there is, what evidence there is, is enough for me, so you may believe they don't exist because there isn't sufficient reason to believe it, that's all fine by me. But if you were, like the other person, to state they didn't, I would expect you to provide your evidence on this matter, and since you aren't don't so, I didn't ask you for any.

Hope this clears things up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mubariz
I did not say they exist, I believe they do. Now I'm not enforcing this belief upon you as it is inside my head, I didn't tell you they existed nor do I intend to, I am not claiming that they exist (if you get what I'm saying)

It wasn't you, but the other person said they didn't exist, so he now has to prove they don't, and because he can't the conclusion is simple and it's the one you have. Although there is no reason for you to believe there is, what evidence there is, is enough for me, so you may believe they don't exist because there isn't sufficient reason to believe it, that's all fine by me. But if you were, like the other person, to state they didn't, I would expect you to provide your evidence on this matter, and since you aren't don't so, I didn't ask you for any.

Hope this clears things up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That cleared things up, thanks.

I see what you're saying and have no problem with it.

Of course, I disagree with your reasons for believing in jinns but you're welcome to hold any beliefs as long as they don't abrogate the rights of others, or get special exemptions i.e. from criticism (satirical or otherwise) or legal exceptions. Clearly your belief in jinns doesn't come under either of these conditions (not to mean I don't see your belief in jinns as ridiculous, mind). :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by Mubariz
I cannot prove they don't exist.

The burden of proof rests with anybody making the claim yes, making the claim that they don't exist means you have the burden of proof.

I have a scripture I believe to be reputable, now ether you take this or not is another matter, but since you cannot prove they can't exist, please cease to say they don't.

Microsoft is a company, Bill Gates himself built it, (with help of course)

Britain is not a company, and another point is you (or British people now) did not build it yourselves, people hundreds of years ago made it what it is, and even they did not "build" it from scratch, it was a land mass way before they came.

I don't agree with the sign, I have stated that numerous times, same way I don't agree with anybody else claiming Britain is theirs

Already argued this point mate, to hate all immigrants is to be racist to everybody who isn't the race you are.

Their nation, again and again, the Diamonds belong to whoever mined them in my eyes, you got them out they are yours, if somebody worked for you to get them out, they are yours, if you bought them (no matter how cheap or expensive) they are yours. Plus it's not like Britain is giving the Koh-I-Noor back to India, so if you won;t accept this is theirs, then how can you claim a full land mass is yours.

obviously your simpleton mind doesn't understand the point I'm making. by saying the british built Britain i didn't mean that they made a pile of soil and called it Britain, I meant it as in they are the ones who worked hard for Britain to become such an attractive place to be with good prospects. And by saying Microsoft has an owner your just going back on what said about God owning everything. Stop using God as an excuse to try and argue your incorrect view. And lastly if God owns everything why are people trying to take over the park?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by MadMO
obviously your simpleton mind doesn't understand the point I'm making. by saying the british built Britain i didn't mean that i didn't mean that they made a pile of soil and called it Britain, I meant it as in they are the ones who worked hard for Britain to become such an attractive place to be with good prospects. And by saying Microsoft has an owner your just going back on what said about God owning everything. Stop using God as an excuse to try and argue your incorrect view. And lastly if God owns everything why are people trying to take over the park?

I understand what you were saying, I'm just saying that Bill Gates built Microsoft from the ground up, did the British people do this with Britain? For example there are these man made private Islands you can make, they would be made by the people who built them and then rightfully bought, so they can be owned.

I said I believe God owns everything, whether you agree or not is not the debate, that is just my opinion that I stated. You cannot compare a country to a company, please stop doing this, you say I have a simpleton mind but tell me in what universe a country and a company are the same.

Microsoft is not a physical thing, It is a name (which you may own) which has a lot of assets (which you may also own) they are not a land mass.

Already addressed this point, plus you don't even know it was killing, you are just assuming, we don't know who put up the sign so until we do you may not say it was Muslims, like i said before I disagree with their claim to the park.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Original post by Mubariz
I understand what you were saying, I'm just saying that Bill Gates built Microsoft from the ground up, did the British people do this with Britain? For example there are these man made private Islands you can make, they would be made by the people who built them and then rightfully bought, so they can be owned.

I said I believe God owns everything, whether you agree or not is not the debate, that is just my opinion that I stated. You cannot compare a country to a company, please stop doing this, you say I have a simpleton mind but tell me in what universe a country and a company are the same.

Microsoft is not a physical thing, It is a name (which you may own) which has a lot of assets (which you may also own) they are not a land mass.

Already addressed this point, plus you don't even know it was killing, you are just assuming, we don't know who put up the sign so until we do you may not say it was Muslims, like i said before I disagree with their claim to the park.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not saying Microsoft and a country are the same thing stop taking my phrases literally. Sorry but it is very ignorant to tell somebody that a country they are native too is not theirs. If it wasn't for British people immigrants wouldn't want to be here so badly. I know for a fact if you went into any country and said that their country doesn't belong to them they would get angry. You have to look at it from a British natives perspective and stop being so tunnel visioned. You have to be grateful for the conditions that Britain provides you instead of trying to say that its not their country.
Also your argument about God owning everything would mean he also owns the supplies used for the man made islands so going by your logic the man made islands are his too?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by MadMO
I'm not saying Microsoft and a country are the same thing stop taking my phrases literally. Sorry but it is very ignorant to tell somebody that a country they are native too is not theirs. If it wasn't for British people immigrants wouldn't want to be here so badly. I know for a fact if you went into any country and said that their country doesn't belong to them they would get angry. You have to look at it from a British natives perspective and stop being so tunnel visioned. You have to be grateful for the conditions that Britain provides you instead of trying to say that its not their country.
Also your argument about God owning everything would mean he also owns the supplies used for the man made islands so going by your logic the man made islands are his too?

Yes everything is God's in my eyes, like is said, the Earth is God's, let's not get into a theogical debate though because that's not really the issue here. Humans as stewards of the Earth may do as they like, they may use the resources but I find it very ignorant to claim a land is yours, especially when you did not do anything yourself.

I am a native of a certain country myself, I do not believe I have any claim to it, nor do I have any claim to the resources there, if you get it out its yours.

A country cannot be owned in practice, the Queen owns this place you do know that right? But hypothetically if she was to claim it all and tell everybody to get out, would you do it? I'm guessing no and that is against what you say about the British natives.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shahbaz
You mean the vikings.

Maybe he means the romans :P

Or maybe he means the celts :P
Original post by MadMO

To be fair, it wasn't the British people who live today who made it an economic power, their ancestors did, so I don't believe it can be claimed that they made Britain as great as it is today. The Brits who living today did not choose to be native British when they were born, they were just lucky enough to be born in a country that their ancestors (if it was even their ancestors) made great a long time ago. Sure, they are maintaining the economic power but they did not build it.
Reply 71
Original post by Mubariz
Yes everything is God's in my eyes, like is said, the Earth is God's, let's not get into a theogical debate though because that's not really the issue here. Humans as stewards of the Earth may do as they like, they may use the resources but I find it very ignorant to claim a land is yours, especially when you did not do anything yourself.

I am a native of a certain country myself, I do not believe I have any claim to it, nor do I have any claim to the resources there, if you get it out its yours.

A country cannot be owned in practice, the Queen owns this place you do know that right? But hypothetically if she was to claim it all and tell everybody to get out, would you do it? I'm guessing no and that is against what you say about the British natives.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Either way you cannot argue that native British people have done much more for the country and deserve to call it their own country more than anybody else, can you?
Reply 72
Original post by Kamakazi145
To be fair, it wasn't the British people who live today who made it an economic power, their ancestors did, so I don't believe it can be claimed that they made Britain as great as it is today. The Brits who living today did not choose to be native British when they were born, they were just lucky enough to be born in a country that their ancestors (if it was even their ancestors) made great a long time ago. Sure, they are maintaining the economic power but they did not build it.

yes but even maintaining it in current economic conditions is difficult. But even with that said it was still the British who made Britain what it is today.
Reply 73
Original post by MadMO
Either way you cannot argue that native British people have done much more for the country and deserve to call it their own country more than anybody else, can you?

I'm sorry, surely this is agreeing with my point.

And no, because since everybody has the same origins the Native British are the same as me, I am the same as them, we have the same roots so everybody is entitled to as much as you are.

Original post by MadMO
yes but even maintaining it in current economic conditions is difficult. But even with that said it was still the British who made Britain what it is today.

Was it you though? Maybe even maintaining it is hard, but what have YOU done to maintain it more than me or my family, my family pay taxes, we abide by all the laws, I am entitled to this land as much as you are, because as far as I know, you have done nothing more than me to contribute
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MadMO

It is difficult, yes, but anyone can maintain economic & political conditions, it's nothing particularly special, they were just lucky enough to be born into a democratic country that had already figured out how to create a good economy, and learnt from them. On the other hand, not everyone can build economic power from scratch.

And any native British person deserves to call it their country more than others, purely because they were lucky enough to be born in Britain, even if they've done little to nothing to contribute to the 'greatness' of Britain? Because a few Brits (in government/corporations) are maintaining its 'greatness', all Brits can lay claim to making Britain great?

A generation's power should not be defined by the acts of their ancestors.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by Mubariz
I'm sorry, surely this is agreeing with my point.

And no, because since everybody has the same origins the Native British are the same as me, I am the same as them, we have the same roots so everybody is entitled to as much as you are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I certainly do not agree that Britain doesn't belong to British people because they have put blood and sweat in this country. I am not saying immigrants have not benefited Britain hugely but I'm saying British people put more work in it and deserve this "land mass" more than others.
Original post by MadMO
No I certainly do not agree that Britain doesn't belong to British people because they have put blood and sweat in this country. I am not saying immigrants have not benefited Britain hugely but I'm saying British people put more work in it and deserve this "land mass" more than others.

Immigrants who come here from a young age put the same amount of work in as anyone else, so surely they have the same 'claim' to Britain that everyone else does, right?
Reply 77
Original post by MadMO

So tell me what have you done? The other person put it very well. Some British people may well have benefited Britain greatly, but that doesn't mean it's passed on to you just because you happened to be born here with British parents, I'd you have not done that much to make a country, you do not deserve to say it is yours,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by Kamakazi145
It is difficult, yes, but anyone can maintain economic & political conditions, it's nothing particularly special, they were just lucky enough to be born into a democratic country that had already figured out how to create a good economy, and learnt from them. On the other hand, not everyone can build economic power from scratch.

And any native British person deserves to call it their country more than others, purely because they were lucky enough to be born in Britain, even if they've done little to nothing to contribute to the 'greatness' of Britain? Because a few Brits (in government/corporations) are maintaining its 'greatness', all Brits can lay claim to making Britain great?

A generation's power should not be defined by the acts of their ancestors.
Ye you speak wisely but I am still a firm believer that hardworking British people still have the right to call Britain theirs. However I do agree with you that some people who do put effort into earning an honest living and paying their taxes cannot claim it as theirs simply because they do not contribute towards it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Mubariz
So tell me what have you done? The other person put it very well. Some British people may well have benefited Britain greatly, but that doesn't mean it's passed on to you just because you happened to be born here with British parents, I'd you have not done that much to make a country, you do not deserve to say it is yours,

Posted from TSR Mobile

what makes you think I am a native British?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending