The Student Room Group

KCL MSci/BSc Chemistry with Biomedicine Questions/Disscusion Thread

Hello everyone,

I'm a current student at King's College London (KCL) studying Chemistry with Biomedicine. Seeing as this is a fairly new and unique course, I thought it'd be beneficial for everyone to start a general discussion and question/answer thread so that you all have a platform on TSR to discuss the course and have any questions answered directly.

Just to be clear, this thread is for anyone applying for or interested in the MSci Chemistry with Biomedicine course at KCL

So, enjoy, and I'll try to answer any questions as quickly and as best I can :smile:
Reply 1
Hi
I have just been offered a place for this course through clearing today and am interested in studying it. I was hoping you could help me answer a few questions I have:
1. As this is a fairly new course, is there enough course material for revision?
2. Would you say that this is a well structured and planned degree?
3. How would you rate the lab, study and IT facilities?
4. Are you given sufficient guidance for future options in terms of career or further studies?

I would really appreciate it if you could help me out with these questions by the end of the day as I need to confirm the choice by 9 AM tomorrow.

Thanks.
Hello

Apologies for the belated response however I'm sure these answers will be of value to someone! I hope your choice of university is the right one and I hope your experience is fantastic.

1. Your question here is slightly ambiguous. I believe you may be referring to the amount of past papers and if this is the case then by the 2014/15 entry there will be sufficient amounts of this material. Take the Organic Chemistry module for example; students take a midterm in December and a final in May with a resit option in August. For the 2 years preceding you there is a total of 6 past papers plus specimen papers.

2. I believe the degree is well structured after modifications from previous years. The amount of content is challenging but you are given a sufficient amount of time to prepare for exams. One feature of this programs structure which is beneficial is that the experiments are synchronised with the lecture content. For example if in Organic Chemistry you are learning about stereochemistry you will synthesis a chiral molecule in lab the same or following week. This greatly reinforces the content you have learnt in lectures with direct application almost immediately.

3. I would say the lab facilities are adequate. There is huge variety over the 20 experiments in the first year and a chance to get experience of all the basic equipment required for later years; IR Spectroscopy, rotary evaporation, vacuum filtration, distillation and UV Spectroscopy will become second nature after first year (we hope!). At Kings there are a variety of libraries to use which are spread out across Central London all with adequate computer facilities. I'm sure there is a preferred space for everyone.

4. As this is a new course (our latest cohort of students have reached 3rd year) there are no graduates. However, the society has planned a series of career events which include the lecturers giving talks on their career path to date and we are also planning to bring in companies to give talks to chemistry students at Kings. Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical and Intellectual property are all potential industries to go into after this program.

We look forward to hearing from you again

Kind Regards

KCL ChemSoc Committee
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Is the course accredited by the RSC?

What guarantees do students have that the department won't be deemed ''unsustainable'' by the powers that be and closed suddenly, like it was 10 years ago?
Reply 4
Original post by Farseer
Is the course accredited by the RSC?

What guarantees do students have that the department won't be deemed ''unsustainable'' by the powers that be and closed suddenly, like it was 10 years ago?

Those are a good couple of questions.

Firstly, the course is not yet accredited by the RSC as, in order to gain accreditation, you'd need graduates first. If you're applying for 2015 entry, then the course will have graduates by then and so it will be accredited.

Secondly, after having a conversation with our Head of Department, its evident that this highly unlikely to happen for two reasons. The first being that King's want a Chemistry Department because it's important for them and the uni's standing. Secondly, the course's intake is growing faster than expected, indicating that its popular/gaining popularity.
Reply 5
Hi! I don't know if this thread is still active but I've received an offer for this course back in October and I still haven't heard back from UCL and I might not be invited to a Cambridge interview.
I was wondering if it worths going to KCL or I should make a gap year and reapply for Cambridge or UCL
I don't actually understand the course structure and why there are no biology/biomedical related courses in the first year.
Thank you 😊
does chem with biomedicine degree - allow you to proceed to medicine graduate entry after?
Original post by Tench
Hello everyone,

I'm a current student at King's College London (KCL) studying Chemistry with Biomedicine. Seeing as this is a fairly new and unique course, I thought it'd be beneficial for everyone to start a general discussion and question/answer thread so that you all have a platform on TSR to discuss the course and have any questions answered directly.

Just to be clear, this thread is for anyone applying for or interested in the MSci Chemistry with Biomedicine course at KCL

So, enjoy, and I'll try to answer any questions as quickly and as best I can :smile:

hi pls suggest are u happy with your choice. I m also planning the same. does it have good future prospective.

in post there is an option for management, law and finance right

Original post by joseph9299
does chem with biomedicine degree - allow you to proceed to medicine graduate entry after?
hi pls suggest are u happy with your choice of chemisty with biomedice at Kings . I m also planning the same as i got offer for it . does it have good future prospects. In post there is an option for management, law and finance right or any others options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending