The Student Room Group

ISIS in Iraq megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Enoxial
More Russian jets have arrived in Iraq and air strikes were carried out which also killed an important ISIS Commander.

Whoever he was, if he was an ISIS commander he must have died an unguided man. May it be that God forgives all his sins and unites him with the nation of Muhammad in the hereafter though he broke away from it while he was yet alive.
Chechens Chechens everywhere!
http://news.sky.com/story/1293797/red-bearded-chechen-fighter-is-face-of-isis
This particular individual came from Georgia, faced prison, went to Turkey when released and emerged in Syria in 2013.
His Father describes him as
a man with no job, no prospects - so he took the wrong path
Original post by Enoxial
More Russian jets have arrived in Iraq and air strikes were carried out which also killed an important ISIS Commander.

apparently they're iranian jets. loool

iran could really take advantage of the situation and seriously dent America's influence in the middle east by sending some IRGC soldiers and take out ISIS permanently.

replace nouri maliki with someone who both the kurds and sunnis are happy with. set up a military base in Karbala and/or Najaf. Win over the iraqi people. humiliate the wahhabis and americans at the same time. :sogood:

next stop Syria.

or am i just gassed.
Indeed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28125687

When I first noticed the headline on the frontpage just ("'Iran aiding Iraq' with attack jets"), I thought it read "Iran invading Iraq...", long time since I clicked a link that fast. Was rather confused when it then said Iraq and Iranian jets :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 985
Original post by Basiji

iran could really take advantage of the situation and seriously dent America's influence in the middle east by sending some IRGC soldiers and take out ISIS permanently.

replace nouri maliki with someone who both the kurds and sunnis are happy with. set up a military base in Karbala and/or Najaf. Win over the iraqi people. humiliate the wahhabis and americans at the same time. :sogood:

next stop Syria.

or am i just gassed.

Gassed in the rave

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
Gassed in the rave

Posted from TSR Mobile

:biggrin::colondollar:
Original post by Basiji

next stop Syria.

or am i just gassed.

History says Iran wont.
1) Previously it had option to maintain Bahrain as a part of Iran but accepted the UN report.
2) During Iran-Iraq War it had gone on the offensive and entered Iraq but returned to pre-war borders as per UN resolution.
Reply 988
The president of the Kurdish Regional Government, Massoud Barzani, asked the parliament of the autonomous region on Thursday to set a date for a referendum on independence from Iraq, Al Arabiya correspondent reported.

Farhad Sofi, a member of the Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP), also told Reuters that Barzani asked the parliament to “to form an independent electoral commission to carry out a referendum in the Kurdistan region and determine the way forward.”*

President Barzani did not offer a timetable on the proposed committee's work of organizing a referendum, several Kurdish lawmakers said.

The Kurdish leader blamed Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki for the instability in Iraq.

“We warned Maliki six months ago about what's happening but he did not listen and these are the consequences,” Barzani reportedly told the Kurdish lawmakers.

“What we see today on the ground is due to the failure of Maliki's policy in Iraq,” he added, insisting that the Peshmerga force will not leave areas it has controlled last month.

Peshmerga moved in to seize the northern city of Kirkuk, and other disputed areas in the provinces of Nineveh and Diyala, after the Maliki’s forces collapsed when rebels led by the Islamist militants launched a surprise onslaught last month.

Kirkuk and the other areas have mixed Arab and Kurdish population and their fate was supposed to be decided under Article 140 of the constitution in a referendum that never took place.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2014/07/03/Kurdish-president-calls-referendum-on-independence-from-Iraq-.html
Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys! Meet Shannon Maureen Conley...

Shannon Maureen Conley (Female), 19, allegedly told FBI agents before her arrest that she was going to be with a member of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, or ISIS, that she had met through the Internet.1

She told investigators she was going to Turkey to await word from her suitor1

Conley, a certified nurse aide, had told FBI agents she was going to be the man's wife and a nurse in a ISIS camp near the Turkish border, documents showed1

The alleged co-conspirator is believed to be a Tunisian man claiming to be fighting for the al Qaeda splinter group ISIS2

Conley and YM (ISIS Member) shared a view of Islam "as requiring participation in violent jihad against any non-believers"2

Are the whole of Syria and Iraq non-believers!?

1 http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/02/justice/colorado-woman-arrested-isis/index.html
2 http://news.sky.com/story/1294313/teen-arrested-on-her-way-to-help-syria-militants
(edited 9 years ago)
Interesting...

IMO Iraq should just divide into two or three parts. Karbala downwards to the shia, Baghdad upwards to the Sunnis. Or maybe drive out all the ****ing shiites to Iran. Saves a lot of lives that way. But unfortunately those Shia *****ers in Parliament think otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheKingOfTSR
Interesting...

IMO Iraq should just divide into two or three parts. Karbala downwards to the shia, Baghdad upwards to the Sunnis. Or maybe drive out all the ****ing shiites to Iran. Saves a lot of lives that way. But unfortunately those Shia *****ers in Parliament think otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It will be a sad day to see Iraq divided up and cut into pieces, nor will it solve the problem.
Take sudan and south sudan as an example.
What is needed is the right kind of leadership and the right kind of unity government and disarming the tribal militias. But a snowflake has a better chance in hades than that happening, what you have is a bunch of self interest only individuals clashing with the self interest of other greedy self interest only people using clan/religious/ethnic divides to suit their individual agendas.
Good bye bilad al rafidain:frown:
Interesting...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your clearly deluded.

A bunch of extremists want to take over the Country and instead of dealing with them you want to divide the Country and let these Foreign Terrorists maintain their presence.

A few days ago the Iraqi Parliament came together and no conclusion was reached, no one was serious.
(For you I'd like to point out the Parliament has Shia and Sunni members)

In the end, just one question:
Do you think ISIS are giving a true representation of Islam and that the Caliph is lawful?
Original post by Al-farhan
It will be a sad day to see Iraq divided up and cut into pieces, nor will it solve the problem.
Take sudan and south sudan as an example.
What is needed is the right kind of leadership and the right kind of unity government and disarming the tribal militias. But a snowflake has a better chance in hades than that happening, what you have is a bunch of self interest only individuals clashing with the self interest of other greedy self interest only people using clan/religious/ethnic divides to suit their individual agendas.
Good bye bilad al rafidain:frown:

No. I don't agree.

Take Iran for example, it has been very stable in recent times. With no sectarian conflict, mainly due to because the vast majority is of one sect. But in Iraq, the sects are fairly balanced...but this would lead to people claiming that their sect has been oppressed and some other groups will exploit this for their own ideologies and gains. The best is to have a shia country and a sunni country. Then no one would claimed to be oppressed and there would be no rebellion. I know this has drawbacks, huge political and economical conflict could arise but this could save a lot of lives!

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. I don't agree.

Take Iran for example, it has been very stable in recent times. With no sectarian conflict, mainly due to because the vast majority is of one sect. But in Iraq, the sects are fairly balanced...but this would lead to people claiming that their sect has been oppressed and some other groups will exploit this for their own ideologies and gains. The best is to have a shia country and a sunni country. Then no one would claimed to be oppressed and there would be no rebellion. I know this has drawbacks, huge political and economical conflict could arise but this could save a lot of lives!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know iraqis of both sects and they have lived next door to each other for decades and there was no hatred or thoughts of oppression amongst the people on the ground towards their fellow countrymen and muslim brothers. Heck they told me they used to even go knock next door to the shia or sunni family to ask for things like salt or sugar.
The emotions and the fears of the people on the ground have been played with and manipulated by those with their own agenda to create enmity among the population and they have succeeded spectacularly.
Division is not the answer reconciliation and unity is.
No. I don't agree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you think Iraq should be divided to so that respective sects can be happy so shouldn't King Hamad (A sunni King) hold elections so that people can choose their own leader?

I know iraqis of both sects and they have lived next door to each other for decades and there was no hatred or thoughts of oppression amongst the people on the ground towards their fellow countrymen and muslim brothers. Heck they told me they used to even go knock next door to the shia or sunni family to ask for things like salt or sugar.
The emotions and the fears of the people on the ground have been played with and manipulated by those with their own agenda to create enmity among the population and they have succeeded spectacularly.

I would like to strengthen this by saying that even Shias and Sunnis in Iraq marry from one another.
Reply 996
Hmm Bashur says Kurds will defeat ISIS. While it is true that Arabs are horrible at war and in their entire history never won a single fair fight and that the tiny SAA and NDF have been able to fend off hordes upon hordes of the savages armed by the best weapons and training the decadent Gulf Arabs and the Western world provide as well as a tiny group of Jews being able to defeat the combined might of every single Arab country Kurds are still basically the same as Arabs brown savages murdering their superior betters just in case of Arabs murder Persian and Berber Kurds murder Armenians and Assyrian

In the past they would have lived together in peace but war was always coming. I think a country like Iraq or any other with almost equal population of the two sects is most prone to outside exploitation.. from the US for example.
A couple of decades ago, if the US were to interfere in any country it would be Iraq. If there were separate countries/govts for both sects then the Muslims would be united.

I'm not telling that they should not and would not be united. I'm just saying that politically the Sunnis in Iraq won't never be satisfied under a shia ruler/govt. So why not give them a seperate land with fair amount of resources etc and allow them to have their own parliament. Everyone would then be in peace and therefore united, right?

Original post by Enoxial
If you think Iraq should be divided to so that respective sects can be happy so shouldn't King Hamad (A sunni King) hold elections so that people can choose their own leader?

I dunno who King Hamad is , but I can tell you having Kings and a royal family ain't Islamic. Just that when the British rulers at that time left the ME lands, they installed Kings and families who would be loyal to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Take Iran for example, it has been very stable in recent times. With no sectarian conflict, mainly due to because the vast majority is of one sect. But in Iraq, the sects are fairly balanced...

I think a country like Iraq or any other with almost equal population of the two sects is most prone to outside exploitation.. from the US for example.

In the above 2 quotes you say both sects are equal and thus should be divided whereas I'd like to point out:

Shias in Iraq are 60%-65% (CIA.Gov)

Shias in Iraq are 62.5% (This doesn't mean Sunni's constitute 37.5% as this 37.5% includes people of other Islamic Sects, Christians and Hindus aswell)

Whatever the percentage, shias are Majority in Iraq.
In four countries Iran, Azerbaijan, Bahrain and Iraq Shia Muslims make up a majority of the total population.

Source

This doesn't mean I'm implying that Sunni's should be oppressed.

I dunno who King Hamad is , but I can tell you having Kings and a royal family ain't Islamic. Just that when the British rulers at that time left the ME lands, they installed Kings and families who would be loyal to them.

This is King Hamad.

Answer me this, how many times have you said to yourself 'Bashar needs to go, hes oppressive' and how many times have you said 'King Hamad needs to go aswell'

Give me an honest reply, as I can see you are a Muslim and in the spirit of the Holy Month you certainly wont lie.
Original post by Enoxial
In the above 2 quotes you say both sects are equal and thus should be divided whereas I'd like to point out:

Shias in Iraq are 60%-65% (CIA.Gov)

Shias in Iraq are 62.5% (This doesn't mean Sunni's constitute 37.5% as this 37.5% includes people of other Islamic Sects, Christians and Hindus aswell)

Whatever the percentage, shias are Majority in Iraq.

Source

This doesn't mean I'm implying that Sunni's should be oppressed.

This is King Hamad.

Answer me this, how many times have you said to yourself 'Bashar needs to go, hes oppressive' and how many times have you said 'King Hamad needs to go aswell'

Give me an honest reply, as I can see you are a Muslim and in the spirit of the Holy Month you certainly wont lie.

Well..62.5% is just the right amount for the minority to claim that oppression is the reason to do things what the ISIS is doing. If it were too large around 85%+ then the Sunnis won't even take up arms. If it too less 35%-..then the opposite will occur..the shia will do what the ISIS is doing and try to gain control of the entire land.
I just think that whoever is in power should be from a community that makes up 80%+ of the population. The minority community should either live with it or emigrate (and they should be freely allowed to do so). For this to be possible Iraq should be divided.

IMO Sunnis and shias can never unite in anything. But there can be a united group of states where each state had a parilament and each state was either sunni or shia. And of course, something like the UN to prevent invasion etc.

Oh! So he is Hamad! I've seen Al Jazeera programs on his oppression and I agree he should go. (But being sunni maybe if he could chase away all the Shiites off then that would be better :biggrin:). But generally I don't agree with the concept of King and heir. Every ruler should be elected. And in the case of Bahrain and Syria an election should be held. But then again you'd have this sunni/shia conflict. If maybe all the shiites go to Iran (like the way Jews flock to Is real) then maybe the ME would be a better place. Loool

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending