The Student Room Group

gsce biology ISA on diffusion

i'm doing an isa right now on school on as the concentration of hydlochoric acid increases so does the rate of diffusion
anyone got any tips to get an A star and the hazards involved
thanks any help will be much appreciated

Scroll to see replies

Original post by foreverluigi
i'm doing an isa right now on school on as the concentration of hydlochoric acid increases so does the rate of diffusion
anyone got any tips to get an A star and the hazards involved
thanks any help will be much appreciated

Heya, I'm going to put this in the biology exams forum for you as you should get more responses there.:smile:

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=370
I guess I am not alone on this! I shall too be doing it! I have done paper 1 which asks you for the hypothesis, why you have chosen the hypothesis so mention the affect diffusion has on concentration, a question on method, risk etc. what you hadpve changed in your experiment to make it easier. I am not quite sure how the last question was worded but u need to know how your method was suitable and how u changed it to make it easier.

Paper 2........ ARGH!!!!!! I am doing that on Friday and I too am worried about that!!! Any one help!!! I think the case studies is really the one that is really keeping us biting our nails.....
Reply 3
have u done paper 2 if so what was in there
I'm doing this tomorrow - so scared!! When the rest of my year did their chemistry one before summer, I was away, but the school is not letting them have their marks for that one because apparently the all did terrible in it, so haven't got high hopes....
Reply 5
Original post by Mojam99
have u done paper 2 if so what was in there

please could you let me know what was in paper 2 if you've done it?:smile:
I am will doing the isa in my next lesson and in one of the questions it asks you to draw an empty results table and about how you will measure how far the acid has diffused in the jelly.
Reply 7
Thank you so much!! how do you measure how far the acid has diffused in the jelly? do you use an indicator?
Reply 8
http://www.animatedscience.co.uk/2014/diffusion-in-solids-liquids-gases-and-jelly

i think this link is quite good for anyone else needing help :smile: thanks so much for helping me freakkk1999 that's so helpful!! have you done paper 2?
Reply 9
Original post by UmmTameem786
I guess I am not alone on this! I shall too be doing it! I have done paper 1 which asks you for the hypothesis, why you have chosen the hypothesis so mention the affect diffusion has on concentration, a question on method, risk etc. what you hadpve changed in your experiment to make it easier. I am not quite sure how the last question was worded but u need to know how your method was suitable and how u changed it to make it easier.

Paper 2........ ARGH!!!!!! I am doing that on Friday and I too am worried about that!!! Any one help!!! I think the case studies is really the one that is really keeping us biting our nails.....

I'm doing paper 1 this week. Can you tell me exactly what questions were in paper 1? Thanks so much cos our teacher isnt helping us at all
xx
Paper one is the easier one - I think, anyway. It asks you about you hypothesis (just state it. Make sure it's a decent one), and then asks you why you have decided upon this hypothesis. Explaining a little it of the science behind the hypothesis here will (hopefully) get you the marks. It the asks you to pick out two sources that you used to help you develop this hypothesis (you can take the weblinks in with you on the sheet that you take into the ISA). Here comparison is the key. State why one source was better than the other (more detailed, more relevant to the investigation, better graphics/diagrams) and why the other was worse (wasn't relevant, diagrams were unclear, too complex/simple). It then asks you for a method. Here include your equipment list (including safety goggles, and don't forget anything!), method (as if you were explaining it to a 3 year old. It must be VERY simple so that a child could follow it.), variables (Independent, Dependent and Control - that stuff) and your risk assessment (I find that HRC works well (Hazard - why it's dangerous, Risk - the harm it could cause, and Control - what you will do to prevent this happening. Simple ones like:
Hazard - Acid
Risk - Could splash into my eyes
Control - I will wear safety glasses.
This is one that you could perhaps expand upon/adapt to use)
I believe there is only one more question on that paper, and that is to draw a table. Put sensible headings and DO NOT FORGET UNITS!! They are what gets you the marks.
Consistently good spelling and grammar (and use of scientific keywords - but nothing difficult) throughout will also give you another (I believe it is) 9 marks.
I hope you do well on your paper, and that I have helped!!
Good luck. I apologise sincerely if what I just wrote is not relevant to you at all!
Reply 11
Original post by ExamParanoia@me
Paper one is the easier one - I think, anyway. It asks you about you hypothesis (just state it. Make sure it's a decent one), and then asks you why you have decided upon this hypothesis. Explaining a little it of the science behind the hypothesis here will (hopefully) get you the marks. It the asks you to pick out two sources that you used to help you develop this hypothesis (you can take the weblinks in with you on the sheet that you take into the ISA). Here comparison is the key. State why one source was better than the other (more detailed, more relevant to the investigation, better graphics/diagrams) and why the other was worse (wasn't relevant, diagrams were unclear, too complex/simple). It then asks you for a method. Here include your equipment list (including safety goggles, and don't forget anything!), method (as if you were explaining it to a 3 year old. It must be VERY simple so that a child could follow it.), variables (Independent, Dependent and Control - that stuff) and your risk assessment (I find that HRC works well (Hazard - why it's dangerous, Risk - the harm it could cause, and Control - what you will do to prevent this happening. Simple ones like:
Hazard - Acid
I believe there is only one more question on that paper, and that is to draw a table. Put sensible headings and DO NOT FORGET UNITS!! They are what gets you the marks.
Consistently good spelling and grammar (and use of scientific keywords - but nothing difficult) throughout will also give you another (I believe it is) 9 marks.
Good luck. I apologise sincerely if what I just wrote is not relevant to you at all!

WOW, thanks so much, this is perfect and will really hlep!
Original post by Max.sch
WOW, thanks so much, this is perfect and will really hlep!

Happy to have helped :smile:
can someone pleasee answer this?!!! how do you measure how far hydrochloric acid has diffused across jelly????
(edited 9 years ago)
how do you measure how far hydrochloric acid has diffused across block???
Reply 15
use phenopthalein (check the spelling on that) its a pink indicator which goes clear when acid diffuses into it
Reply 16
how is my method suitable? i am using agar jelly cubes in different molar solutions thanks so much for all previous help!!! if you'd prefer to you can inbox me :biggrin: thanks everyone!!!!!
I need help too! Doing it on Tuesday. And I have no idea what to do. I really need an A* on it.
Original post by habbababba
how do you measure how far hydrochloric acid has diffused across block???

You would have to use a stop watch in order to time how long hcl diffuses into the cerosalt jelly.
Thnx for helpin
Original post by ExamParanoia@me
Hazard - Acid

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending