The Student Room Group

Biology help please

I'm stuck on this question in my homework:
Explain the need for co-transport of the products of glucose and protein digestion while lipids are able to simply diffuse through the phospholipid bilayer

I pretty much understand the concept of co-transport, but this question is tricky.
Original post by murrayma767
Explain the need for co-transport of the products of glucose and protein digestion while lipids are able to simply diffuse through the phospholipid bilayer

I pretty much understand the concept of co-transport, but this question is tricky.

As it is about the digestion, I think that a co-factor supports in biological transformation of glucose and protein into their chemical components. In this case the co-factor works as a catalyst to faciliate a metabolism and increases the rate of enzymatic catalysis and thus the enyzme kinetics. Just an idea, I am not sure.

Click here for the source!

Original post by murrayma767

It's probably to do with the fact that products of glucose digestion aren't lipid soluble and are too large to simply diffuse. Proteins get digested into amino acids which are charged so also can't diffuse through the phospholipid bilayer as only small, non-polar, lipid soluble molecules can diffuse without transport proteins.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending