The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you plan to leave the UK after university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trustmeimlying1
and you dont like it:?

why not ....ud think it would be one of the nicer countries

It definitely has great aspects, but for me they outweigh the bad ones. I think it's a country that you either love or hate and can't really be impartial about.

I love the relaxed atmosphere, the beauty of Paris, the architecture and the amount of public holidays!

But, the power of unions here is ridiculous. The trains have been on strike for over 3 weeks meaning the whole of the Paris region basically hasn't worked for 3 weeks. Can you even imagine if all trains in London went on strike for 3 weeks?! And I can speak French, but I really can't deny that French people are rude. I don't think they mean to be, but their attitude really isn't great. I've even been in shops where I've practically had to beg the owner to sell my something and take my money, rather than the other way around. So in that sense, whilst I live here, all my good friends are British/American/Canadian etc. which isn't exactly like fully moving abroad. The french culture is very closed to those on the outside, especially British, and that is just confirmed with the recent election of the French equivalent of UKIP.

Also, I'm from London so I'm used to shops being open, but here everything is closed on a Sunday, and most shops are closed for 2 hours during the day too. That just gets frustrating, but that's probably just because I'm used to London.
I'm almost 100% moving abroad.
Original post by Sanctimonious
Difference is France is very different. They speak a different language, different culture and way of life. This will make a lot of things different so I'd imagine its a lot harder to integrate and feel at home as opposed to English speaking countries. I've considered Norway too but again I'd face similar issues there although a lot of them speak good English.

Exactly how I feel!
Original post by i-love-coffee
It definitely has great aspects, but for me they outweigh the bad ones. I think it's a country that you either love or hate and can't really be impartial about.

I love the relaxed atmosphere, the beauty of Paris, the architecture and the amount of public holidays!

But, the power of unions here is ridiculous. The trains have been on strike for over 3 weeks meaning the whole of the Paris region basically hasn't worked for 3 weeks. Can you even imagine if all trains in London went on strike for 3 weeks?! And I can speak French, but I really can't deny that French people are rude. I don't think they mean to be, but their attitude really isn't great. I've even been in shops where I've practically had to beg the owner to sell my something and take my money, rather than the other way around. So in that sense, whilst I live here, all my good friends are British/American/Canadian etc. which isn't exactly like fully moving abroad. The french culture is very closed to those on the outside, especially British, and that is just confirmed with the recent election of the French equivalent of UKIP.

Also, I'm from London so I'm used to shops being open, but here everything is closed on a Sunday, and most shops are closed for 2 hours during the day too. That just gets frustrating, but that's probably just because I'm used to London.

yeh I dont like the attitudes over there overly much

but the food weather and general architecture is something else

I wana travel a good bit..so probably be on my list

hmm what job yeh work as then:? and 3 weeks is cray cray..
Hopefully planning to leave after working for a couple years after finishing my degree. I've narrowed it down to Germany, Holland, Australia and France. However Australia is something I haven't looked into much, I just like the weather :tongue:

It's too expensive to live a good life over here, and with the majority of people going for either UKIP or Conservatives over Green (my first choice) I see this country heading in a bad direction.
Original post by tommydeaks
That last statement was more rhetorical than aimed at anyone in particular.

Do you think the freedom of movement for workers has a more detrimental effect on the UK's economy (tip - it doesn't) than it does in France? How can you be annoyed at free movement of persons in the EU when you've taken advantage of it yourself?

It's quite simple. When EU people move to the UK they can use the NHS, they can claim benefits, they can claim jobseekers, they can be put on the list for social housing etc. etc even if they are inactive. That's just not the same in France. There's basically no right to get any of those things here just because your from the EU. For example, inactive EU immigrants in the UK cost the NHS £1.5 billion, whereas in France, they cost £3.4 million. Still a lot, but none the less nothing compared to the UK bill.

If you want to come to France and make it, you have to work and pay for all these things yourself. Since I've been here, all I have done is worked and contributed to their economy. I'm not saying EU immigrants coming to the UK don't do this, but we certainly have way more inactive EU immigrants than France. So it's quite easy to be annoyed at it.

And for the stats: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/10375358/True-scale-of-European-immigration.html
Original post by trustmeimlying1
yeh I dont like the attitudes over there overly much

but the food weather and general architecture is something else

I wana travel a good bit..so probably be on my list

hmm what job yeh work as then:? and 3 weeks is cray cray..

English teacher! :-) I think it's deffo worth visiting, if anything, but just not for a long period. I've gained a new appreciation for the UK so it's not a wasted experience!
English teacher! :-) I think it's deffo worth visiting, if anything, but just not for a long period. I've gained a new appreciation for the UK so it's not a wasted experience!

yeh see Il defo being living away from home due to my degree

so far uni away from home has been grand

I dont miss my family or anything..and like i only go home at holidays these days..

yeh deffo I hope to travel a wee bit

enjoy your time and bonne chance mademoiselle
Original post by Sanctimonious
I want to leave and move to Canada so will finish my education here and then head off to Canada in search of work so I can then stay long term.

Anyone else leaving the UK?

South Asian from France,moved in the UK 4 years ago,after my studies I'm planning to move to Canada and to live there for the rest of my life.

WHY?

Because Canada is much better than the UK,less crimes,and I got family over there,and there are lots of Tamils from Sri Lanka over there.:wink:Also the house are way more bigger than in the uk and much cheaper.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's quite simple. When EU people move to the UK they can use the NHS, they can claim benefits, they can claim jobseekers, they can be put on the list for social housing etc. etc even if they are inactive. That's just not the same in France. There's basically no right to get any of those things here just because your from the EU. For example, inactive EU immigrants in the UK cost the NHS £1.5 billion, whereas in France, they cost £3.4 million. Still a lot, but none the less nothing compared to the UK bill.

If you want to come to France and make it, you have to work and pay for all these things yourself. Since I've been here, all I have done is worked and contributed to their economy. I'm not saying EU immigrants coming to the UK don't do this, but we certainly have way more inactive EU immigrants than France. So it's quite easy to be annoyed at it.

And for the stats: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/10375358/True-scale-of-European-immigration.html

The UK is heading down the pan because politicians won't wake up to the realities of what's going on. They are so focused on London that the rest of the country comes second and this will have an extremely negative impact on the quality of life in the UK. The housing market is making it incredibly difficult to get on the housing ladder and you don't even get a great house at all in the UK compared to the size of house and land you can get elsewhere. I just don't think in the UK people get a fair deal.
I would like to leave but that is easier said than done I have a house here, families and friends here, speak the same language etc.... If I go somewhere else settling in may be harder due to not knowing anyone, buying a house, living in a near environment etc..
maybe in a few years, I am sick of these people
Original post by ineedtorevise127
I would like to leave but that is easier said than done I have a house here, families and friends here, speak the same language etc.... If I go somewhere else settling in may be harder due to not knowing anyone, buying a house, living in a near environment etc..

Sounds like utopia.
Original post by HashimKF
Hopefully planning to leave after working for a couple years after finishing my degree. I've narrowed it down to Germany, Holland, Australia and France. However Australia is something I haven't looked into much, I just like the weather :tongue:

It's too expensive to live a good life over here, and with the majority of people going for either UKIP or Conservatives over Green (my first choice) I see this country heading in a bad direction.

Normally when people say they're moving to France they mean Paris, which has notoriously high living costs even compared to London (2nd only to Tokyo I believe) Oh, and look up the French National Front... Then please tell me more about how you want to move to a country where people vote for political parties that are more liberalImageUploadedByStudent Room1403623731.668598.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by FishLover
This is what's happening to me...:cry2:

I'm sorry to hear that. Where do you live?
Yes, definitely.

Not because I hate the UK or anything like that, of course not... Well, not much :/

Think it would be good to live somewhere else, new that is. Bit boring staying the same place your whole life isn't it :smile:

EDIT: Thinking about it, I do hate a fair amount of the UK but I still guess I would be proud to say I'm British... Now it sounds like I'm turning this in a "do you like being British thread". Whoops, sorry.
(edited 9 years ago)
I can't see myself living here for the rest of my life, ideally i'd like leave 2 years after graduating.
Original post by I love shopping
I'm sorry to hear that. Where do you live?

Currently living in India. I'm actually from Malaysia and only moved to India recently.

I'm still pretty sad about the whole thing. It hit me really hard because I was never particularly realistic and thought as long as I've got the grades and drive I could even make it to oxbridge. Never thought about the financial aspect. *sighs*
Im going to eastern Europe to study :smile:
Original post by FishLover
Currently living in India. I'm actually from Malaysia and only moved to India recently.

I'm still pretty sad about the whole thing. It hit me really hard because I was never particularly realistic and thought as long as I've got the grades and drive I could even make it to oxbridge. Never thought about the financial aspect. *sighs*

I'm originally from India. Getting into uni there is hard enough because of limited places compared with millions of applicants, but uni education is also only for the rich :frown:

I really hope something works out for you; it would be a shame to miss out on uni because of money problems :hugs:

Latest

Trending

Trending