The Student Room Group

Did you like fighting when you were a child?

Poll

Do you / did you like fighting?

I was just thinking somewhat randomly about medieval times, when boys dreamed of becoming a knight, and half of noble boys' education consisted of learning to fight with the quarterstaff, sword and lance and whatnot.

Then I thought back to when I was a little kid and how I loved "fencing" with my little brother (each picking up a stick and going for it). It was great fun and is probably at least as natural as kicking a ball. This particular brother also had two friends who greatly enjoyed wrestling on the bus. (Seriously, they loved it and were great chums.)

So then I was thinking, maybe in society today, with our current methods of parenting and education, we are missing out on something instinctive, not particularly harmful and possibly beneficial, which is physical exercise through fighting with a stick? Most little boys (and probably quite a few girls) want to be strong and brave. Have we taken away one of the best ways to learn how to be that? Just a random thought, I'm not sure myself...

Imagine learning the quarterstaff in school. Would have been great fun, I think, although I would probably not have been particularly good at it. :h:
Yeah, I do think we're missing out these days. I used to 'swordfight' with knitting needles with my sister when we were little :redface:
I really want a sword though and I hope to buy one with a beautiful hilt one day :colondollar:
I loved a good scrap as a young kid. Our football matches at primary school usually just turned into a huge brawl after a particularly bad tackle. It was great fun!
Who didnt?
Lightsaber fights with my brother

:moon: life was good
Loved it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending