The Student Room Group

A shocking experience with dentistry/medicine students!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Chief Wiggum
If you think maths is the hardest subject, that's fine. I just disagree with you claiming that mathematicians and physicists are "above" medical students. Surely that is a very arrogant statement?

You can disagree, no problem. And this is not arrogant. It is what it is. I don't say that mathematicians and physicists are above medics.
This is not right. Because medics save lifes, this has infinite value.
As you see it depends on from which angle you look.
If you are ill you go to a doctor, not to a mathematician. In this case they are above everything clearly. And this is not an arrogant statement.

But if you look from a different view, if we consider the intellectual point, yes, maths is clearly above everything else.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by shiggydiggy
It's really odd how medicine/dentistry students seem to be open season for blanket criticism, justified by some stereotypical notion that they're all arrogant and rude. This phenomena only seems to exist for med/dent. On top of that, I can't say I've ever actually met any meds/dents who genuinely sneer at other professions/degrees.

My brother and his girlfriend (medic and dental) sneer at hairdressers, and my brother was amused when he used to meet the psychology students, who he saw as failed dentists/medics. I'm not sure if he's changed.
Original post by nohomo
It does depend on the maths student. A lot of maths and physics students are not more intelligent than medical students, but the ones getting firsts from Cambridge in maths are likely to be really bright.

I think it's pretty uncontroversial to say that mathematicians and physicists (the top students of maths and physics who go on to do original maths/physics as a career) are brighter than most medical students.

I've met plenty of medical students, and knew some at school. Some were pretty regular people, but I guess having that common touch is good for relating to patients. This doesn't mean they're brighter. It's a personality type.

Yes, absolutely. I am definitely not disputing any of that. My real issue was with the statement that medics/dentist are "below mathematicians/physicists and they know it". To me "below" doesn't just mean "less intelligent".
Reply 83
Original post by sbj
I said if you meet those kind of arrogant ones. Just if you want to make them feel the same.

And academically every subject has its own value of course. And we can not compare these things.

Wiggum and you make a real big mistake, I see that your logical thinking is not very good.
Because with that explanation Pop musicians would be the better musicians than classical musicians which is clearly the opposite.
But Pop is popular and there are many who follow it and want to become a popstar (because it is also much much easier than to be a real musician).

So medicine is really popular, that means many people go for it. That is why the level is high and you know it, everyone knows it. They must select the bests because they don't have enough slots obviously.

Think for a second logically. Why does maths have low numbers of applicants? Because it is hard. You know it, everyone knows it.
You will be paid great, better than in most other jobs. Yet the numbers of applicants are low...

Mathematics is the most challenging thing for our intellect, not medicine clearly.
But this is like argueing with people who have no clue about music and claiming xxx singer/band is the best and so on.
No, they are not. And medicine is below mathematics if we compare the challenge for our minds. Academically there is nothing like below or above.

I never said that being a dentist or doctor was 'better' than being a mathematician, I simply said that they get more recognition. So no, my logic wasn't bad.
Maths has a low number of applicants because not a lot of people enjoy it and they don't want to pursue a career in it.
Maths/Physics degrees are not higher paying than medicine and definitely not dentistry for the most part.
Reply 84
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Yes, absolutely. I am definitely not disputing any of that. My real issue was with the statement that medics/dentist are "below mathematicians/physicists and they know it". To me "below" doesn't just mean "less intelligent".

Cool :smile:

I agree that dentists/medics are not "below". I don't really agree with labeling anyone as below anyone else based on a career path. Medics/Dentists are clever, and regardless of their reasons, they do work which is highly useful and that not many could do. There are loads of other reasons why they aren't "below", too.
Reply 85
When you meet people like that, punch them in the face. As uncivilized as it is they deserve it.

Most of my friends want to study both medicine/dentistry and they are the nicest people I'd ever came across. It just makes me so angry seeing ***holes like that lurking around and giving a bad name to all other medic/dentists that have and still are trying their hardest to achieve their dreams.
Dentistry student here. Can't say anybody is my year has ever acted like this infront of me. But every course has the odd few dicks, so can't just generalize this to all medics/dentists.

My own two cents on this topic is rather than think biomeders are 'l0l look at those medicine/dentistry rejects', I just think 'Wow I was lucky to get an offer, they weren't so lucky.'
Reply 87
Original post by nohomo
My brother and his girlfriend (medic and dental) sneer at hairdressers, and my brother was amused when he used to meet the psychology students, who he saw as failed dentists/medics. I'm not sure if he's changed.

Sneering at hairdressers? Seriously? wtf?
Were they born with silver spoons?
Reply 88
Original post by teen1234
I never said that being a dentist or doctor was 'better' than being a mathematician, I simply said that they get more recognition. So no, my logic wasn't bad.
Maths has a low number of applicants because not a lot of people enjoy it and they don't want to pursue a career in it.
Maths/Physics degrees are not higher paying than medicine and definitely not dentistry for the most part.

Well, my English is bad. I missunderstood you then. I thought you said that like wiggum.
But the next part is like a lame excuse. Not a lot of people enjoy it? But many people enjoy being a medic without ever having a clue about it, yet maths you had like 10 years?
The number of applicants is an indicator of how difficult a subject is.
It is always the same result.
Many people never had contact in their lifes with medicine or business studies yet these are really popular.
The one because it gives a big status to people and the other one because it is easy and people dream of being rich.
But go on. Believe in what you want.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by ando181
I was just at a family party and there were a number of medicine/dentistry students. i was talking to them about other degrees apart from dentistry and medicine and I was talking about bio-medicine pharmacy, optometry and some other courses. They all started laughing and said those courses are for rejects of medicine/dentistry. They said they often use their degree as a way to pick up girls too! I even heard about them saying that some of the students would bully the bio-med and pharmacy students calling them rejects.
They genuinely considered all these other degrees 'below' them, I really hope I dont turn into one of these guys because Im really considering medicine/dentistry

I think its more of a private joke "banter" so to speak do not yake them seriously there are nice medics (i hope as i start med school soon haha)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also regarding the guy who said that maths student are better, I got an A* in A-level maths so wouldn't be so sure about that as I bet some people are doing maths degrees with less than that.

But I do imagine maths is a harder degree. Dentistry has a high volume of work but not much is difficult to get your head around.
Reply 91
Sneering at hairdressers? Seriously? wtf?
Were they born with silver spoons?

Kind of. Her parents are pretty loaded, and my parents and grandparents are doctors.
Reply 92
Original post by sbj
Well, my English is bad. I missunderstood you then. I thought you said that like wiggum.
But the next part is like a lame excuse. Not a lot of people enjoy it? But many people enjoy being a medic without ever having a clue about it, yet maths you had like 10 years?
The number of applicants is an indicator of how difficult a subject is.
It is always the same result.
Many people never had in their lifes contact with medicine or business studies yet these are really popular.
The one because it gives a big status to people and the other one because it is easy and people dream of being rich.
But go on. Believe in what you want.

The number of applicants is not an indicator to how difficult a subject is. Why are the courses in clearing often the 'easier' courses?
Medicine and Dentistry students have to do a lot of work experience and volunteering in order to learn about the profession as well as interviews testing what they know about it.
Medicine and Dentistry are professional degrees, this is where it is different from a maths or physics degree.
everyones below architecture students :aetsch::aetsch: jokes
Original post by sbj
If you meet those kind of students, just tell them you study maths. It works perfect. Because they are below Mathematicians/Physicist by far and they know it.

The irony is strong.

Care to explain what makes Medics far below Mathematicians etc.?
Original post by Margo_
These degrees lost all credibility when universities started choosing males over females; despite the females having superior qualifications for the course.

Ahh a clear cut example of a feminist that doesn't know real facts. Why on earth would they favour men over women. Please use your brain and look at facts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty73
That just further proves the idea that most students who go into medicine and dentistry don't do it for the right reasons and so don't deserve to have a career in healthcare. They are only moved by wealth, status and power and lack compassion, sympathy, understanding and an open mind, preventing them from becoming great doctors in my opinion.

Yes. Lets all have doctors who get so emotionally attached to their patients they can't treat them properly. A surgeon who is sobbing during an operation. An oncologist who can't draw blood from a child because it brakes their heart to see them screaming so much, when it might find out if they're dying.

Doctors are better when they are emotionally distant. They can see the case objectively, and act accordingly.
A doctor who lets their emotions decide their method of treatment, is going to end up at the bottom of a bottle if things go bits up.
Reply 97
Original post by PsychadelicScarf
Yes. Lets all have doctors who get so emotionally attached to their patients they can't treat them properly. A surgeon who is sobbing during an operation. An oncologist who can't draw blood from a child because it brakes their heart to see them screaming so much, when it might find out if they're dying.

Doctors are better when they are emotionally distant. They can see the case objectively, and act accordingly.
A doctor who lets their emotions decide their method of treatment, is going to end up at the bottom of a bottle if things go bits up.

You're so bad at sarcasm :p:
Reply 98
The number of applicants is not an indicator to how difficult a subject is. Why are the courses in clearing often the 'easier' courses?
Medicine and Dentistry students have to do a lot of work experience and volunteering in order to learn about the profession as well as interviews testing what they know about it.
Medicine and Dentistry are professional degrees, this is where it is different from a maths or physics degree.

It is an indicator.

Medicine and dentistry works with human beings. They work with us. That is why it is really important to do volunteering and so on.
In future they will control human life (at least an aspect of it).
As I said, if we look from the angle of life, medicine is clearly above anything.
But different angle, different result. Deal with it.

Original post by Plasticity
The irony is strong.

Care to explain what makes Medics far below Mathematicians etc.?

My sentence was not completed.
Below if we consider intellect chalenge as a scale.
If we take a different scale, the result is different.

The OP talked about some arrogant people and the scale was in this case intellect. And I just said how to response to that kind of people.
Reply 99
Original post by PsychadelicScarf

I completely agree. I think so would the patients.
You'd rather have a great doctor/dentist than one who was 'lovely' but hadn't got a clue what they were doing.

Quick Reply

Latest