The Student Room Group

Bulgarian Medical University Admission 2022

Hello!

I am an American student and have found this forum more useful than Reddit, etc. so I decided that this would be the best place to ask. Sorry, this might be a little long though.

I am preparing to take the April entrance exam for Plovdiv MU currently and have overall decided that Bulgaria is the best place for me to study. For anyone wondering, the reason I am choosing to study medicine elsewhere is because I would have to first earn a bachelor and then apply to med school if I were to study in the US. The length of education is not a problem for me. However, I have not been able to figure out a major that I would enjoy and would prepare me for med school but also secure me a job if for some reason I decide not to attend med school. Also the level of education is crazy expensive here, even for families that are really well off.

I am still interested in attending residency in the US and was wondering if anyone can confirm that this would be possible. I have intensively researched and know the process that I would have to go through but it would still be nice to receive some confirmation. Also, please feel free to share your experiences in why you are also choosing Bulgaria or, if you are a current student, what are some cons to studying there.

Another thing, I am interested in St. Kliment Ohridski as well but have heard that the medicine program is not as accepted compared to the MUs. Can anyone comment on this?

Scroll to see replies

Hello 1st year medical student in PMU. I would like to give you some info about the uni and what to expect and not to. So first of all dont expect that the amount of work is less than america or Uk Etc. Because actually matierals are alot. Only the test system is a bit more not strickt or I would say not every class has a test during semester but they all have a final exam and some courses like anatomy has a whole section of writting an essay in the final exam and thats just a part of the exam. So dont think its easier it is really not… so many ppl failed in 1st semester exams. Do expect to study alot byyourself because sometimes proffesors presentations arent detailed or some even has only pictures which u really cant study from. Expect to have exam formats that they would say wont come but they will by surprise💀 some proffesors dont explain good but that usuall in every uni and some explain very nice. Lectures and practicals are fun only language lessons are so boring. When u graduate from here u can work anywhere including us. Do not expect for proffesors to explain everything as I said be ready to self study. I would suggest u not to go to at kliment because they arent experianced in medical field yet they are new. Grading in the uni is flexable adn there are exemptions. Thats it for now İf u have further questions :smile: dont hesitate
Reply 2
Thank you for the information!

I have also heard that the education is much tougher and a lot of self-study is involved, so thank you for clarifying that. For me this is actually a plus because I will need to take the notorious USMLE in order to practice in US/Canada. And self-study is nothing new to me.

I should also mention I am Bulgarian and speak the language, which is why I am interested in Bulgaria specifically.

I was wondering what the class schedule is like? Is it weekly and how many classes do you have a day? Do you have classes everyday?
Original post by Gigiana8
Thank you for the information!

I have also heard that the education is much tougher and a lot of self-study is involved, so thank you for clarifying that. For me this is actually a plus because I will need to take the notorious USMLE in order to practice in US/Canada. And self-study is nothing new to me.

I should also mention I am Bulgarian and speak the language, which is why I am interested in Bulgaria specifically.

I was wondering what the class schedule is like? Is it weekly and how many classes do you have a day? Do you have classes everyday?

The schedule is such a pain to understand when the publish its so confusing 🤣🤣. And yes u have classes everyday max for a day is 4 u gave class on saturday as well which is sports 🤣 duration of lessons are long 3 hour to 4 hour sometimes but most are 2 .
Original post by Annonymous9999
Hello 1st year medical student in PMU. I would like to give you some info about the uni and what to expect and not to. So first of all dont expect that the amount of work is less than america or Uk Etc. Because actually matierals are alot. Only the test system is a bit more not strickt or I would say not every class has a test during semester but they all have a final exam and some courses like anatomy has a whole section of writting an essay in the final exam and thats just a part of the exam. So dont think its easier it is really not… so many ppl failed in 1st semester exams. Do expect to study alot byyourself because sometimes proffesors presentations arent detailed or some even has only pictures which u really cant study from. Expect to have exam formats that they would say wont come but they will by surprise💀 some proffesors dont explain good but that usuall in every uni and some explain very nice. Lectures and practicals are fun only language lessons are so boring. When u graduate from here u can work anywhere including us. Do not expect for proffesors to explain everything as I said be ready to self study. I would suggest u not to go to at kliment because they arent experianced in medical field yet they are new. Grading in the uni is flexable adn there are exemptions. Thats it for now İf u have further questions :smile: dont hesitate

Hi, what are the minimum grade requirements for A level students?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, what are the minimum grade requirements for A level students?

Tbh I dont know because I applied as an american student and all my grades were A+ so they were a 6/6 which is full here :/
Tbh I dont know because I applied as an american student and all my grades were A+ so they were a 6/6 which is full here :/

But you should not get less than a 3 to apply here
Reply 7
Hey Im in my final year at Plovdiv, feel free to message with any questions:smile: The uni is what you make of it, and speaking Bulgarian will make you're learning experience here 100 times better. Don't worry, you can work anywhere in the world with this degree! (Well, after taking the specific countries medical licensing exam). Theres quite a few students at the uni studying for the Usmle atm and quite a few Professors (that originally studied here) have worked in the US. Plus our final year, is basically a recap of med school and so is a great time to prepare for the Usmle. Im not too well up with the process in the US, but im sure you're aware medical careers are competitive everywhere and tend to give priority to their home grown med students haha, so bare in mind you will probably have to work harder than you're US trained counterparts to get your desired residency, really nail your CV and get networking, but its deffo doable!
Reply 8
I've not heard of St. Kliment... But if you're doing medicine in Bulgaria, go either Sofia or Plovdiv Medical university (They are joint 1st in the Bulgarian uni rankings). Sofia is the capital, so that's where more international conferences and guests are found, its also been going longer than plovdiv, and I hear the semesters are done via rotations Ie: You go on your paediatric rotation for a month and then take that exam and so on. Plovdiv is a nicer place to live imo, prettier, smaller, cheaper city, the uni is also more modern, it has a sim centre, and I've really seen it develop in the past few years and can only see it getting better, the semester/exam format is; you study like 5-10 different subjects at once for one or two semesters, then you take all those exams in the exam period.
Reply 9
Original post by Exx
I've not heard of St. Kliment... But if you're doing medicine in Bulgaria, go either Sofia or Plovdiv Medical university (They are joint 1st in the Bulgarian uni rankings). Sofia is the capital, so that's where more international conferences and guests are found, its also been going longer than plovdiv, and I hear the semesters are done via rotations Ie: You go on your paediatric rotation for a month and then take that exam and so on. Plovdiv is a nicer place to live imo, prettier, smaller, cheaper city, the uni is also more modern, it has a sim centre, and I've really seen it develop in the past few years and can only see it getting better, the semester/exam format is; you study like 5-10 different subjects at once for one or two semesters, then you take all those exams in the exam period.

Thank you for your input! St. Kliment Ohridski (Sofia University) is the most prestigious university in Bulgaria, that is why I was interested in it. I referred to it as St. Kliment because it can get confused with Sofia Medical University. They work with a really great hospital (Lozenetz) but, apparently, their program for medicine in English is fairly new and not as developed.

I am still thinking of applying to Sofia Medical University because it has more international connections however I am not so worried about it right now because its entrance exams are in the fall. And, as you mentioned, Plovdiv is a better place to live overall. I have family that lives nearby and they are all telling me that I would enjoy Plovdiv more.

I am also thinking of taking the April entrance exam for Varna. I have already registered for the Plovdiv one but am wondering if I should do another before May since I have to decide what I am going to do with the US universities I am accepted in before then. Does anyone have any input about Varna Medical University?

Also, does anyone know what minimum score I would need to get on the entrance exams to be "safe" and start planning my move. I am just paranoid about that since ranking isn't until September.
Thank you for your input! St. Kliment Ohridski (Sofia University) is the most prestigious university in Bulgaria, that is why I was interested in it. I referred to it as St. Kliment because it can get confused with Sofia Medical University. They work with a really great hospital (Lozenetz) but, apparently, their program for medicine in English is fairly new and not as developed.

I am still thinking of applying to Sofia Medical University because it has more international connections however I am not so worried about it right now because its entrance exams are in the fall. And, as you mentioned, Plovdiv is a better place to live overall. I have family that lives nearby and they are all telling me that I would enjoy Plovdiv more.

I am also thinking of taking the April entrance exam for Varna. I have already registered for the Plovdiv one but am wondering if I should do another before May since I have to decide what I am going to do with the US universities I am accepted in before then. Does anyone have any input about Varna Medical University?

Also, does anyone know what minimum score I would need to get on the entrance exams to be "safe" and start planning my move. I am just paranoid about that since ranking isn't until September.

I had for diploma
Bio 6
Chemistry 6
Entrance exam
And I was ranked 35th. I am in plovdiv univeristy and alot of people couldnt get in the ranking because there were alot of ppl that applied. So I would say score the highest you can so are safe.
Reply 11
I had for diploma
Bio 6
Chemistry 6
Entrance exam
And I was ranked 35th. I am in plovdiv univeristy and alot of people couldnt get in the ranking because there were alot of ppl that applied. So I would say score the highest you can so are safe.

Thank you. How many people were ranked? Also, what is the lowest combined score that you saw on the ranking? The one that is from 24-36.
(edited 2 years ago)
Thank you. How many people were ranked? Also, what is the lowest combined score that you saw on the ranking? The one that is from 24-36.

29 was the lowest my friend got 28 and she wasnt addmitted she had a 2nd chance on 2nd ranking list and 2nd ranking is not safe because there might not be one if all asmitted students for -st ranking make it up to the uni and I heard that more than 800 applied to pmu
Reply 13
29 was the lowest my friend got 28 and she wasnt addmitted she had a 2nd chance on 2nd ranking list and 2nd ranking is not safe because there might not be one if all asmitted students for -st ranking make it up to the uni and I heard that more than 800 applied to pmu

That's really interesting. When I decided to apply for Bulgaria I was not expecting that much international interest. Not even my family was aware of this. I am estimating that the lowest score I can get is a 30, but that really is worst case scenario. It all depends on if they will count my AP Biology and Chemistry courses etc. Realistically I am looking at a 34 so hopefully it all works out. Thanks for the inside information :smile:.
That's really interesting. When I decided to apply for Bulgaria I was not expecting that much international interest. Not even my family was aware of this. I am estimating that the lowest score I can get is a 30, but that really is worst case scenario. It all depends on if they will count my AP Biology and Chemistry courses etc. Realistically I am looking at a 34 so hopefully it all works out. Thanks for the inside information :smile:.

I got 34, 30 and above is safe. Btw there are alot of international students applying every year the max capacity to acceot students are full.
hey, im appling for dentistry in plovdiv medical university this year. i was wondering if you could answer a few questions i have. are the rankings different for dentistry and medicine? is dentistry popular there as im wondering if admission for a seat is not as difficult compared to medicine. thanks
Reply 16
Does anyone know how people finance this? Purely from parents/ savings? I wonder if it’s possible to work in Bulgaria to fund the rest? 6 years is a long time for me to find fees and living costs for that would be a lot
Original post by Exx

Hi, do you have any tips for the entrance exam? im not going with an agency

hi how much was the 28 as a percentage from the entrance exam? im having a hard time figuring out the 24-36 grading system.
Original post by sash08
Does anyone know how people finance this? Purely from parents/ savings? I wonder if it’s possible to work in Bulgaria to fund the rest? 6 years is a long time for me to find fees and living costs for that would be a lot

Hi, I think it's best for you to ask the university... they might know more about scholarships and financial aid

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending