The Student Room Group

Change.org complains about drink/rape poster

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cole-slaw
Those posters are really no better. Anything that seeks to shift blame away from the personal responsibility of the perpetrator is unhelpful.

Do you not have any cool buzzwords to insult the people who made these posters?

Keep your wits about you when you're drunk is eminently sensible advice but I won't be getting into it again, as I have a perfectly good brick wall next to me.
Original post by pane123
Mugging is a violent crime.

Never said it wasn't.

The first poster though is about traffic accidents either Drink driving or people stumbling into the road.

The second poster is largely referring to drunk brawls, if mugging is part of that stat the poster doesn't say.

If it referenced mugging in particular (i.e. x% of mugging victims have been drinking) and was along side the rape poster, that would be something as both are violent crimes where the victim is not responsible in anyway. Lumping mugging in with other violent crime means that the "victim" or atleast the person that got there arse kicked could be atleast partially responsible, indeed from the framing of the second poster it is inferring the drinker is responsible.

The point I'm trying to make is if a similar poster was made specifically about mugging, that would mitigate some of the appearance of victim-blaming. As it is all these posters are inferring that the drinker is responsible regardless of the circumstance when the victims of muggings and rape are not responsible even if they have drunk.
(edited 9 years ago)
Your argument was so imprecise as to be effectively meaningless.

Not really. It was clear what I meant and the argument was clear. And the fact that you're nitpicking for a win instead of actually addressing my point is telling.
Original post by pane123
Do you not have any cool buzzwords to insult the people who made these posters?

Keep your wits about you when you're drunk is eminently sensible advice but I won't be getting into it again, as I have a perfectly good brick wall next to me.

How about authoritarian neo-prohibitionists? I believe that's the word used for people who deliberately exaggerate the dangers of alcohol to try and control people's behaviour.
Original post by limetang
Not really. It was clear what I meant and the argument was clear. And the fact that you're nitpicking for a win instead of actually addressing my point is telling.

It wasn't clear, in fact I'm still not sure what you're driving at with your fanciful tales of margarine consumption and marital breakdown.
Those posters are really no better. Anything that seeks to shift blame away from the personal responsibility of the perpetrator is unhelpful.

So why is the rape one the one that gets all the attention?
Reply 186

Nobody is saying that the perpetrator is not entirely responsible, but that doesn't mean potential victims can't take steps to reduce their risk. Drinking heavily makes you vulnerable, and not just to rapists. It is important people at least acknowledge that fact.
It wasn't clear, in fact I'm still not sure what you're driving at with your fanciful tales of margarine consumption and marital breakdown.

Oh, just pointing out that there may not be a causal link between alcohol and rape just as there probably isn't one for margarine consumption and divorce (despite correlation) and so your demand for the correlation to be explained may not even be possible, and even if it is possible it's not the job of the person you quoted to explain it seeing how they're not his statistics.
Original post by james22
So why is the rape one the one that gets all the attention?

Because the insinuations are that much more alarming at a time when misogyny in this country is reaching worrying proportions.
Because the insinuations are that much more alarming at a time when misogyny in this country is reaching worrying proportions.

But it isn't misogyny.
Original post by lucaf
Nobody is saying that the perpetrator is not entirely responsible, but that doesn't mean potential victims can't take steps to reduce their risk. Drinking heavily makes you vulnerable, and not just to rapists. It is important people at least acknowledge that fact.

As i have said before, not nearly as much as simply leaving the house in the first place. Yet we don't see statistics about that. Why the double standard? Ask yourself, what ulterior motives are there to present a misrepresentation of the truth.
Original post by james22
But it isn't misogyny.

It's a buzzword, you can't expect it to be used correctly.
Original post by limetang
Oh, just pointing out that there may not be a causal link between alcohol and rape just as there probably isn't one for margarine consumption and divorce (despite correlation) and so your demand for the correlation to be explained may not even be possible, and even if it is possible it's not the job of the person you quoted to explain it seeing how they're not his statistics.

Clearly whoever put the posters up thinks there is a causal link, otherwise it would be as ridiculous as warning people of the implication of margarine consumption for their marriage.
Original post by james22
But it isn't misogyny.

The implication that its at least partly women's fault for getting raped because they were drunk isn't misogyny?

and don't try to tell me that implication isn't there in the poster.
The implication that its at least partly women's fault for getting raped because they were drunk isn't misogyny?

and don't try to tell me that implication isn't there in the poster.

It isn't saying that, but even if it were it wouldn't be misogynistic since it applies equally to both genders.
Reply 195
As i have said before, not nearly as much as simply leaving the house in the first place. Yet we don't see statistics about that. Why the double standard? Ask yourself, what ulterior motives are there to present a misrepresentation of the truth.

It is about risk assessment, everybody does it to some degree. Everybody has to strike a balance between doing what they want to do and keeping themselves safe, but you can't do that without knowledge of the risks. Most people find the risk of leaving the house worth the trade off, most people find the risk of unlicenced cabs not worth it. Alcohol has associated risks, and while people may think it is worth it it is impotant they are at least mindful of the risks so they can act to minimize it. I do the same when I am drunk, and I am sure you do to.
Original post by joker12345
No one said being drunk is 'advertising your puss', it's advertising vulnerability that any sort of criminal could exploit. You could be kidnapped, bulged from, sexually assaulted or raped. A criminal would more likely choose you as a target as they'd be able to see you're vulnerable, and you'd be less likely to notice the danger to avoid it due to your intoxication, maybe not even able to cry for help whilst in a sober state you would. You might also make unwise decisions putting yourself in a further vulnerable state, like going off alone, walking in dangerous areas, trusting strangers.

Nobody becomes that oblivious after one or two drinks. And this poster does not differentiate between those who drink sensibly and those who "make themselves vulnerable". That is why it is wrong.

Re telling men not to rape I explained in a post above - men don't rape rapists/criminals do and these people aren't normal members of society unlike the rest of the population who the ad is targeted at, so are very unlikely to take the advice on board.

*facepalm*. It's not as simple as telling men not to rape. It's teaching men to respect women. From a very young age, many of us are indoctrinated with a sense of entitlement to sex/women from a very young age. And I beg to differ about rapists not being normal members of society. What of all those college rapes on prestige college campus performed by those who previously offered promise and had no criminal record prior?
Original post by Truths
*facepalm*. It's not as simple as telling men not to rape. It's teaching men to respect women. From a very young age, many of us are indoctrinated with a sense of entitlement to sex/women from a very young age. And I beg to differ about rapists not being normal members of society. What of all those college rapes on prestige college campus performed by those who previously offered promise and had no criminal record prior?

Post #141 addressed this.
It's not 'men' that rape, it's a select number if criminals. These criminals are likely mentally a little messed up - all normal, functional members of society know rape is wrong, so if these criminals don't understand that they're unlikely to pay heed to a sign. The people who are attacked though are normal members if society, who could actually take on board the advice to avoid the risk of being attacked.

That's a very simplistic way of seeings things. Not all Sex offenders have some sort of mental illness, or are the biologically predisposed crime/sex crimes. Especially if we are taking pedophiles out of the equation. So yes, you can teach rapists to respect women. There is no conversion therapy. That is not what I am talking about. I'm talking about the values we teach children from a young age, to abate the rate of potential rapists.

all normal, functional members of society know rape is wrong, so if these criminals don't understand that they're unlikely to pay heed to a sign.

So many rapists are seen as "functional members of society" before they rape. So many rapists are still seen as "functional members of society" after...
although we will never get rid of rape entirely (because there will always be some mentalists around), a lot of our problems are caused by our dreadfully misogynistic culture in which young men are taught to objectify and dehumanise women, to feel entitled to sex if they have enough money or big muscles or say the right chat up lines.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending