The Student Room Group

AQA A2 CHEM4 & CHEM5 June 2015 [official discussion thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thebest786
Does anyone know why you have to square root KC in June 13 Chem4 2biii ? Got units right, but slightly confused on answer.

Thanks in advance.

Ok from Q2b)i) you'll have your Kc equation to be:

Now when you get to Q2b)iii) a new equation is given to you.

NOCl(g) NO(g) + ½Cl2(g)

From here you should form a new Kc equation which should look like this:

You should notice that the powers in this equation has been multiplied by ½ when compared to the fist Kc equation.
This implies that the initial Kc equation has been multiplied to a power of
½.

Hence why you must do
√(7.4 × 10–3).

I hope that helps. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Question: why, in the titration of Fe2+ with dichromate (6) ions, is the end product orange...because the titration produces Cr3+ ions which are green, however every book I look in says the end is orange
Chemistry University student here.

Got an A* in chemistry (AQA) if anyone has any questions about A2 Chemistry let me know.
Always happy to help.

Good luck to everyone!
You guys/girls will be fine c:
Original post by Cobalt_

Got an A* in chemistry (AQA) if anyone has any questions about A2 Chemistry let me know.
Always happy to help.

Good luck to everyone!

Would you recommend doing 1 past paper more than once?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheGemini

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup, I redid a few.

I recommend doing old spec past papers too!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do every past paper you can get your hands on, and then redo them! Rinse and repeat.
Original post by Cobalt_
Yup, I redid a few.

I recommend doing old spec past papers too!!

Thankyou :smile: well done on your A* btw :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wick3d
Do every past paper you can get your hands on, and then redo them! Rinse and repeat.

Haha "Rinse and repeat" yessir!!!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thankyou :smile: well done on your A* btw :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem, only repeat them if you have forgotten most of them and or you dont have much else to do! c:
Yes, I understand now. Thank You.
The number of moles of new stoichiometric equation is 1/2 that of the previous stoichiometric equation .So the answer is (old Kc) to the power of a 1/2 which is square root of Kc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! :gthumb:
Original post by Cobalt_

Always happy to help.

Good luck to everyone!

Hi there!

What did you do to help get your A* and did you find A2 Chemistry challenging during your A Level course?

I hope you don't mind my asking as to which University you attend and why you decided to do Chemistry at University?
Original post by Disney0702
Hi there!

What did you do to help get your A* and did you find A2 Chemistry challenging during your A Level course?

I hope you don't mind my asking as to which University you attend and why you decided to do Chemistry at University?

What helped me get the A*?
- I used ChemRevise notes, made sure i knew the content fully. I pretty much knew the notes from memory aha. Then I moved on to past papers, old spec first so I could get a feel of the papers and type of questions being asked. If I couldnt do a question and had to refer to notes it would show I dont know the content probably so I would go over the content again.
Then I started new spec past papers. I set myself an aim. The first paper I do; I must get at least a A/High B and then move up my 4 marks each paper.
Doing this caused me to get around 98ish in the 2013 series (last past paper available for me)
Thats all there is too it tbh, I wish there was a simple way but there isnt. Just learn the chemrevise notes and do past papers and you should get an A/A*!

Did I find it challenging?
-Tbh with you I found AS harder at the time, when I entered A2 I really started to enjoy chemistry and because of that I found it easy(ish)
I found A2 biology at lot mroe challenging.

Why you decided to do Chemistry at University?
- Really enjoyed it, wanted to learn more about chemistry. Amazing job prospects and I want to be a scientist so c:

Im glad I study chemistry, nearly finished first year and ive learnt so much and the labs are amazing!!!!

If you have anymore questions just let me know c:
anyone done the a2 practical yet? we have been told basic details but any more information would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by Cobalt_
- I used ChemRevise notes, made sure i knew the content fully. I pretty much knew the notes from memory aha. Then I moved on to past papers, old spec first so I could get a feel of the papers and type of questions being asked. If I couldnt do a question and had to refer to notes it would show I dont know the content probably so I would go over the content again.
Then I started new spec past papers. I set myself an aim. The first paper I do; I must get at least a A/High B and then move up my 4 marks each paper.
Doing this caused me to get around 98ish in the 2013 series (last past paper available for me)
Thats all there is too it tbh, I wish there was a simple way but there isnt. Just learn the chemrevise notes and do past papers and you should get an A/A*!

-Tbh with you I found AS harder at the time, when I entered A2 I really started to enjoy chemistry and because of that I found it easy(ish)

- Really enjoyed it, wanted to learn more about chemistry. Amazing job prospects and I want to be a scientist so c:

Im glad I study chemistry, nearly finished first year and ive learnt so much and the labs are amazing!!!!

I do something pretty similar to that.

Instead of ChemRevise I use my CGP Student Book for AQA A2 Chemistry to cover my understanding on content and then I move on to past papers, old and new.

Woah 98(ish) marks! Did you then get 100% UMS in June 2014?

Thanks for the advice and good luck with uni. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by katy1996
anyone done the a2 practical yet? we have been told basic details but any more information would be appreciated :smile:

No, the teacher hasn't even told us our topic yet! Although I know task 1 is titration with buffer and task 2 just some observations with metals or something. Any help would be much appreciated.
Original post by Disney0702
I do something pretty similar to that.

Instead of ChemRevise I use my CGP Student Book for AQA A2 Chemistry to cover my understanding on content and then I move on to past papers, old and new.

Woah 98(ish) marks! Did you then get 100% UMS in June 2014?

Thanks for the advice and good luck with uni. :smile:

Nope, Got 111 in both I think :frown:
Thank you!, Good luck with your alevels. You'll be fine c:
Original post by Cobalt_

Thanks for the advice. I totally agree with the fact that I found AS harder compared to A2. I think it's because at A2 I knew what to expect.
I'm aiming for an A overall in chemistry. I got a Low B is AS so I'm retaking unit 1 to boost my UMS marks. From the start of A2 I've been achieving A/A* in the tests for each topic. Although my weakest topic is structure determination.
If you don't mind me asking what did you get for the ISA/EMPA? Any advice as to how to do well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, I just thought I'd share my notes because a few people have asked. I've basically been typing them and then explaining them to myself and I've made a few YouTube videos which should be helpful, they're really helping me! I'm hoping to have everything uploaded (unit 4 and 5) very soon. I will also attach the actual typed notes so you can print them when I get time.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRshP-45QuHOXr-8EzXmjeWfH0r9EQtC8

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Itsmonique
Thanks for the advice. I totally agree with the fact that I found AS harder compared to A2. I think it's because at A2 I knew what to expect.
I'm aiming for an A overall in chemistry. I got a Low B is AS so I'm retaking unit 1 to boost my UMS marks. From the start of A2 I've been achieving A/A* in the tests for each topic. Although my weakest topic is structure determination.
If you don't mind me asking what did you get for the ISA/EMPA? Any advice as to how to do well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh, I got a lot higher in A2 than AS, you will be fine tbh.

In terms of the ISA/EMPA's
My school did EMPA's for both (we had to choose either the isa or empa for a2; I picked empa)
I got: AS: 58 and A2: 50 something (cant remember, was an A* though)

For A2, dont underestimate the experiment. The observations were tricky tbh, check for everything! temp change, ppt formation, solution colour change, effervescence etc etc.
I remember for mine there was a change in colour from blue to brown I think, but when I poured it down the sink it was yellow. Be careful of this, the solution may appear a different colour in the test tube. AQA accepted both answers but yeh just be careful.

In terms of the exams, I cant really give advice. They are based on your experiment so my advice is gonna be pretty invalid. Section A for A2/AS hardly changes though so look at the past papers and apply the same questions to your experiment. Its normally a titration calculation. So providing you can remember your average titre, you can bag like 20 marks from section A before you even do the exam!

Good luck, feel free to ask me anything else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending