The Student Room Group

AQA A2 CHEM4 & CHEM5 June 2015 [official discussion thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adorablegirl1202
Great, I feel good on that! Another question heading your way,http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM4-W-QP-JUN11.PDF how do we do 3h? Initially i thought it would be the reciprocal but it isn't.

just rearrange the formula so the new products are at the top, they've just swapped the reactants and products so rearranging the formula to get the new products at the top means you can find kc :smile:
Original post by _Caz_
Thanks for all of you help :smile:
I didn't know it oxidised further than v3+... This is going to sound really stupid but how do I know which is the most oxidised form of a transition metal? I know that it will be the one with the highest oxidation state but how do you know what the highest oxidation state for each metal is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For these type of questions you will always have data to refer to. Just make sure you read all the electrode potentials so you can see whether further oxidation occurs. To be honest I have been thinking of the point you brought up as well. I'm going to ask my teacher next week.
Original post by ThatMadClown
just rearrange the formula so the new products are at the top, they've just swapped the reactants and products so rearranging the formula to get the new products at the top means you can find kc :smile:

Thank you!
Original post by _Caz_
I think you have to follow the mechanism through again but with the 3- hydroxybutanal as one of the reactants and ethanal as the other one. I've attached a picture of my working if that helps. (Ignore the scribble on the last line sorry its a bit messy)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I was just looking at this again and I thought I got it but I'm still confused :frown: So step 1 was identical to the step 1 they did. Then how did you know how to do the following steps?
Great, I feel good on that! Another question heading your way,http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM4-W-QP-JUN11.PDF how do we do 3h? Initially i thought it would be the reciprocal but it isn't.

Why do you say it isn't the reciprocal? I'm fairly sure it should be
Reply 585
Hey I was just looking at this again and I thought I got it but I'm still confused :frown: So step 1 was identical to the step 1 they did. Then how did you know how to do the following steps?

It's the same as the first mechanism but replacing one of the ethanals with the 3hydroxybutanal. So the c=o bond opens up on the 3hydroxybutanal and an ethanal joins on to it rather than it happening between two ethanals. Because it says further substitution I just assumed that it would be another ethanal adding to the previous product. I'm not sure what it means by trimer though. Looking back on it I think I missed a hydrogen on the product as well (sorry) :frown:

I'm not sure if this helps at all.
Original post by LookIts_Liam
Why do you say it isn't the reciprocal? I'm fairly sure it should be

You're completely right, I just checked again and I think I was plugging in the wrong value- I couldn't understand for the life of me yesterday what mistake I was making but now it's apparent. Thanks :smile:.
Original post by _Caz_
It's the same as the first mechanism but replacing one of the ethanals with the 3hydroxybutanal. So the c=o bond opens up on the 3hydroxybutanal and an ethanal joins on to it rather than it happening between two ethanals. Because it says further substitution I just assumed that it would be another ethanal adding to the previous product. I'm not sure what it means by trimer though. Looking back on it I think I missed a hydrogen on the product as well (sorry) :frown:

I'm not sure if this helps at all.

It does help, thank you! :smile:
Reply 588
Original post by randlemcmurphy
For these type of questions you will always have data to refer to. Just make sure you read all the electrode potentials so you can see whether further oxidation occurs. To be honest I have been thinking of the point you brought up as well. I'm going to ask my teacher next week.

I'll ask as well :smile: let me know if you find out anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone know where to find the june 2014 CHEM5 question paper?

would be massively grateful
Original post by _mistyeye
I've basically taught myself over half the chemistry course this year as my school hasn't been able to provide me a teacher... and I have a basic understanding of it all but I really don't understand buffer calculations. I understand the theory behind buffers but whenever a question comes up asking to calculate the pH of buffers etc I just don't get it. I've tried reading textbooks that explain how to do it hundreds of times but I still can't do it. Does anyone have a really simple method explaining how to do them?? As they're normally 6 mark questions and that's quite a lot of marks to drop etc :/

Yeh, I might actually make a video before the CHEM4 exam going over all the types of buffer questions you can get!
If not, ill explain them to you over PM c:
Original post by _Caz_
Hi :smile: could you help me with this please? The correct answers are in red on the picture. I just don't understand how they got that answer. I've attached the data table the question refers to as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dont worry!
Vanadium isnt on the new specification!, It was on the old one and they commonly asked questions about it.

I remember my teacher clearing this up
Reply 592
Original post by Cobalt_
Dont worry!
Vanadium isnt on the new specification!, It was on the old one and they commonly asked questions about it.

I remember my teacher clearing this up

Oh okay! Thanks for letting me know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone got chem5 2014 paper?
Original post by shloke123
anyone got chem5 2014 paper?

you can have it for £10?
Original post by hukdealz
you can have it for £10?

lol im not a sideman :')
Does anyone have the link to the chem 4 or chem 5 2014 papers please! Pm me if you do
How many times has everyone done each past paper for chem4 from 2014-2006? Is it worth doing the papers from 2009-2002 and if so how many times u recommend?
Original post by Chelsea1796
How many times has everyone done each past paper for chem4 from 2014-2006? Is it worth doing the papers from 2009-2002 and if so how many times u recommend?

From last year I found doing papers (Old spec 2002-2009) was super effective. I only did them once but it was enough!

Good luck.
Original post by Cobalt_
From last year I found doing papers (Old spec 2002-2009) was super effective. I only did them once but it was enough!

Good luck.

You know where i can find them? Extreme papers always seems to crash on my laptop/desktop

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending