The Student Room Group

AQA A2 CHEM4 & CHEM5 June 2015 [official discussion thread]

Scroll to see replies

Hey could someone please help me with Jan 11 queston 7bii) (Chem 5)

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM5-W-QP-JAN11.PDF

I understood that the reduction of hydrogen peroxide to hydroxide ions is H202 + 2e- --> 2OH- but I'm not sure how to do the following bit
Original post by adorablegirl1202

I understood that the reduction of hydrogen peroxide to hydroxide ions is H202 + 2e- --> 2OH- but I'm not sure how to do the following bit

Do you know what the "chromium (III) complex" is?
Reply 782
Original post by randlemcmurphy
Good question, I have thought about that same point as well. Hopefully it will be cleared up later on!

I hate buffer calculations :frown:

Okay I've just done it. The ''chromium complex'' from reaction 3 is [Cr(OH)6]3- and its just knowledge that the final solution is yellow (Im fairly sure it is anyway).

As for the equation, you now know the half equation of the H2O2, but you have to work out the ration in which it reacts with the complex. Well, the chromium goes from [Cr(OH)6]3- to CrO42- so in the first part it has an oxidation state of 3+ and in the second it has an oxidation state of 6+, so it is oxidised losing 3 electrons.

To get rid of electrons on both sides you'd need to multiply the peroxide equation by 3 and the chromium one by 2, to get 6e- on each side, therefore they cancel, then just stick the equations together and add any water needed to balance etc. Quote me if you need anything clearing up!
Original post by LookIts_Liam
Okay I've just done it. The ''chromium complex'' from reaction 3 is [Cr(OH)6]3- and its just knowledge that the final solution is yellow (Im fairly sure it is anyway).

As for the equation, you now know the half equation of the H2O2, but you have to work out the ration in which it reacts with the complex. Well, the chromium goes from [Cr(OH)6]3- to CrO42- so in the first part it has an oxidation state of 3+ and in the second it has an oxidation state of 6+, so it is oxidised losing 3 electrons.

To get rid of electrons on both sides you'd need to multiply the peroxide equation by 3 and the chromium one by 2, to get 6e- on each side, therefore they cancel, then just stick the equations together and add any water needed to balance etc. Quote me if you need anything clearing up!

If I understand correctly,
the half equation for the chromium one is [Cr(0H)6]3- ---> Cr207^2- + 3e+?
And then you just put it in one like AS? but is that correct though? Because it's not balanced and I'm a bit confused how to balance it
And then you just put it in one like AS? but is that correct though? Because it's not balanced and I'm a bit confused how to balance it

It goes to CrO42-. To balance oxygens add water, to balance hydrogens add H+, then to balance the overall charges on either side add electrons.

no no, because it says in the question that the final solution is crO42-..but yes it is 3 electrons. Well, if you write out both half equations, you know that to form a full equation you need to make the electrons cancel on both sides. Meaning you have to multiply the Chromium equation by 2 and the peroxide one by 3 to get 6 electrons on both side which cancel.

H2O2 + 2e- ---> 2OH-
[Cr(OH)6]3- ---> CrO42- + 3e- + 2H2O + 2H+

So you'd get something like:

2[Cr(OH)6]3- + 3H2O2 ---> 2CrO42- + 6OH- + 4H+ + 4H20

But the OH- and H+ will form H2O so your final equation will be:

2[Cr(OH)6]3- + 3H2O2 ---> 2CrO42- + 2OH- + 8H20
Original post by randlemcmurphy
It goes to CrO42-. To balance oxygens add water, to balance hydrogens add H+, then to balance the overall charges on either side add electrons.

no no, because it says in the question that the final solution is crO42-..but yes it is 3 electrons. Well, if you write out both half equations, you know that to form a full equation you need to make the electrons cancel on both sides. Meaning you have to multiply the Chromium equation by 2 and the peroxide one by 3 to get 6 electrons on both side which cancel.

H2O2 + 2e- ---> 2OH-

Thanks so much! I completely get it now!!!

H2O2 + 2e- ---> 2OH-

Would you have to cancel the H2O's at the end so you have no H2O's on the left and 5 on the right. (-3H2O from both sides?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 789
Original post by sleepisheaven
Would you have to cancel the H2O's at the end so you have no H2O's on the left and 5 on the right. (-3H2O from both sides?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes you should!
Original post by Hudl
Yes you should!

I just realised I read it wrong. On the left is H2O2 not H2O so you don't need to do what I said :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
on question 5e(ii) of june 11 it asks to draw an overall equation for the cell being recharged, but could someone please explain how they got that answer from the mark scheme because it make no sense!
Does anyone have a complete list of all the 'test-tube' experiments you can do to find out what is inside for CHEM4?
So...are we allowed to discuss the EMPA now?
So...are we allowed to discuss the EMPA now?

We don't need to ask for special permission to discuss it. It's impossible that any college would take the EMPA tomorrow which is the deadline because that's the deadline for submission. Having said that, there is no point discussing that nonsense. For example why containers of samples in colorimetry should have the same dimensions?
I know that those that want to study or have a strong interest in chemistry answered this question because they went and searched for it. If I'm expected to be questioned from beyond the scope of the specification then I certainly don't need to take exams so that a handful of people would tell me that I'm wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will upload the mark scheme of the EMPA hopefully on the 25th of May, if not then on the 26th.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone have a nice table or something of all the colours of the transitions metals/reactions we need to know?
Original post by chem@uni
Anyone have a nice table or something of all the colours of the transitions metals/reactions we need to know?

There's a table in the blue CGP revision book, if you haven't got it let me know and I'll post it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jan 2010 Question 7 b)

It says that C which is CH3CH2CH2CH2CH3 has 3 peaks in its H nmr spectra but i only see two peaks of 1 quatret and 4 triplets. Where does the third peak come from? So confused, pls help :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending