The Student Room Group

AQA A2 CHEM4 & CHEM5 June 2015 [official discussion thread]

Scroll to see replies

Guys I wanted to ask if I can draw mechanisms in pencil? I prefer pencil because its neater and i can show bonds clearly, but will AQA accept it? Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 981
Original post by Thebest786
Guys I wanted to ask if I can draw mechanisms in pencil? I prefer pencil because its neater and i can show bonds clearly, but will AQA accept it? Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If its a Hb pencil or something that will show up on the scanners yes (basically the same pencils use in maths to draw graphs)
I would recommend doing it in pen to be safe though
Original post by Hudl
If its a Hb pencil or something that will show up on the scanners yes (basically the same pencils use in maths to draw graphs)

I would but i always make the bonds rough in pen. I use a Staedtler pencil and it says HB on it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would but i always make the bonds rough in pen. I use a Staedtler pencil and it says HB on it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

draw it in pencil, and go over it in pen? :smile:
Original post by Ezme39
draw it in pencil, and go over it in pen? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Hudl

I always draw mechanisms in pencil, then just to be safe I write a note in pen, saying I drew it in pencil.
Original post by randlemcmurphy
I always draw mechanisms in pencil, then just to be safe I write a note in pen, saying I drew it in pencil.

Hmmm... I'll have to see then. Another question if you don't mind. In electrochemical cells, is every metal rod coated in platinum?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmmm... I'll have to see then. Another question if you don't mind. In electrochemical cells, is every metal rod coated in platinum?

Posted from TSR Mobile

its my understanding platinum electrodes only come into use when one electrochemical cell contains no substances in the solid state i.e hydrogen reference electrode, and hence platinum is used as it can conduct electricity and is inert.
Original post by tw15st3d
its my understanding platinum electrodes only come into use when one electrochemical cell contains no substances in the solid state i.e hydrogen reference electrode, and hence platinum is used as it can conduct electricity and is inert.

Ok so if it has no metal, then it has platinum. But if it has no metal, what does platinum cover?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok so if it has no metal, then it has platinum. But if it has no metal, what does platinum cover? And in which case does platinum coat a metal?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
A sample of 0.220 mol dm–3 solution of ethanoic acid was titrated against sodiumhydroxide solution.

(i) Calculate the volume of a 0.150 mol dm–3 solution of sodium hydroxide requiredto neutralise 25.0 cm3 of the ethanoic acid solution.
Ok so if it has no metal, then it has platinum. But if it has no metal, what does platinum cover?

Posted from TSR Mobile

it doesn't matter if there is a metal present or not- you use the platinum electrode where there is no solid present.

i.e even if there is no metal present, but the electrochemical doesn't contain a solid, then you need a platinum electrode.
how do you work out moles at equilibrium when they give you moles of reactants before equilibrium and 1 products mole at equilibrium e.g. Jan10 chem 4 1a
Reply 992
Original post by purplecloud
how do you work out moles at equilibrium when they give you moles of reactants before equilibrium and 1 products mole at equilibrium e.g. Jan10 chem 4 1a

They tell you the equilibrium mixture contained 0.54 of Ethyl propanoate.

We can use this info to calculate the moles of both products and reactants.

Considering its a 1:1 ration this is relatively straight forward.

So they tell you that Propanoic acid has 1.00 Mol. In equilibrium it will be (1-0.54) = 0.46.

Ethanol 2.00 Mol, at equilibrium its (2-0.54) = 1.46

For H2O they have given you 5.00 Mol so in equilibrium it would be (5+0.54) = 5.54

Just remember you always take away on the left hand side and add to whatever is on the right handside.
Original post by Ozy96

So they tell you that Propanoic acid has 1.00 Mol. In equilibrium it will be (1-0.54) = 0.46.

For H2O they have given you 5.00 Mol so in equilibrium it would be (5+0.54) = 5.54

Just remember you always take away on the left hand side and add to whatever is on the right handside.

Right I get it now thx :smile:
Original post by Ozy96

hey man can you elaborate on this point 'Just remember you always take away on the left hand side and add to whatever is on the right handside'. thanks i always mess up here
Reactants are always used up in a chemical reactions. So u would expect the moles of them to decrease. . And products are always produced so they increase in moles
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM5-QP-JUN13.PDF

Need help with 8c calculation question how do you work out the mol ratio?
Original post by Kill3er
A sample of 0.220 mol dm–3 solution of ethanoic acid was titrated against sodiumhydroxide solution.

(i) Calculate the volume of a 0.150 mol dm–3 solution of sodium hydroxide requiredto neutralise 25.0 cm3 of the ethanoic acid solution.

I got 0.327cm3, but that seems really wrong to me... :lol:

Where's this from and do you have the answer?
Original post by Peaches and Cream
I got 0.327cm3, but that seems really wrong to me... :lol:

Where's this from and do you have the answer?

I think the answer is 36.7cm3...well that's what I had anyway!

You first need to work out the moles of the acid so 0.220x25/1000= 0.0055

Then volume= 0.0055 x 1000/ 0.150 which gives you 36.7cm3

Also just looked it up and it's from the jan 2002 paper :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 999
Hey guys,

Can someone outline what we need to know about chromatography? I don't understand the process of it and how to apply it to a question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending