The Student Room Group

AQA A2 CHEM4 & CHEM5 June 2015 [official discussion thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hudl
Oh thats really good, just clocked who you are when I got the quote notification, because you changed your icon didnt recognise you. You had that black and white clown icon previously.

the jokers had many previous faces mate..
Original post by ThatMadClown
look at the substance being reduced, an oxidising agent is reduced, because it takes the electrons from something else to itself, a reducing agent is oxidised because it gives electrons away, apply OILRIG to this.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know what is meant by the CL bond being shorter?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anybody using n goalby notes to revise for chem4? If so, do we need to know all of these calculations: https://chemrevise.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/mod-4-revision-guide-3-acid-base-equilibria.pdf because the spec (http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/specifications/alevel/AQA-2420-W-SP-14.PDF) is quite vague on section 3.4.3.
Original post by domcandrews
Is anybody using n goalby notes to revise for chem4? If so, do we need to know all of these calculations: https://chemrevise.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/mod-4-revision-guide-3-acid-base-equilibria.pdf because the spec (http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/specifications/alevel/AQA-2420-W-SP-14.PDF) is quite vague on section 3.4.3.

Yeah I would say learn the equations. There's not really that many tbh, if you do past papers you'll see the main equations you need to know. But lots of the calculations on the goalby notes are similar to the types of questions in the papers. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just thought I'd post this just in case it's a possible question in CHEM 4.

Remember the mechanism for the formation of an anime using nucleophilic substitution? They could possibly ask us to draw out one to get a diamine so for example how to get ethane-1,2-diamine from 1,2-dibromoethane, it's the same thing but just add the arrows on both the -Br

:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by emitch97
Struggling with Chem4 as I need a B overall so need a B in this as I have done most of the past papers (Kept 2 back to do just before the exam) and keep getting C's and now redoing the past papers. Anybody else got any other ideas on how to improve my grade?

I got a D in my January mock, and now getting high A's - my method was to go through the past paper and make a list of every mark I lost, revise the topics, ask for help if needed, then try those same questions again. The papers are pretty formulaic, so it's probably similar marks you're losing each time? :smile:
Original post by nishuchh
Yeah I would say learn the equations. There's not really that many tbh, if you do past papers you'll see the main equations you need to know. But lots of the calculations on the goalby notes are similar to the types of questions in the papers. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah ok thanks! just finished learning all the content, starting past papers tomorrow, so will hopefully more clearer then! Thanks for your help
ah ok thanks! just finished learning all the content, starting past papers tomorrow, so will hopefully more clearer then! Thanks for your help

That's fine! Once you start doing past papers then you'll see which ones you need to know. :smile: How are you feeling about chem5?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's fine! Once you start doing past papers then you'll see which ones you need to know. :smile: How are you feeling about chem5?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah hopefully they all follow a "trend", but like you said there's not that many, i think its just cos there's like 2 examples for each one i got a bit freaked out ah! I find chem5 so much better than chem4, purely because there's no mechanisms/organic to learn and i learnt all the transition metal eqautions and colours a while back! Feel a lot more prepared for chem5 than chem4, even worse got an exam everyday next week, then 4 the following week. How about yourself?
yeah hopefully they all follow a "trend", but like you said there's not that many, i think its just cos there's like 2 examples for each one i got a bit freaked out ah! I find chem5 so much better than chem4, purely because there's no mechanisms/organic to learn and i learnt all the transition metal eqautions and colours a while back! Feel a lot more prepared for chem5 than chem4, even worse got an exam everyday next week, then 4 the following week. How about yourself?

Haha dw, I'm sure you'll be fine once you do a few :smile: omg really? I'm so worried about chem5. I was really struggling with chem4, but I did loads of practise over Easter because I had a mock, but I've literally forgotten everything since then 😭 so I just need to re-memorise all of that. But chem5, I just can't do it! Like there's so many things to learn, and I haven't even started doing past papers yet!
Woah, why do you have so many exams? How many subjects do you take?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Haha dw, I'm sure you'll be fine once you do a few :smile: omg really? I'm so worried about chem5. I was really struggling with chem4, but I did loads of practise over Easter because I had a mock, but I've literally forgotten everything since then 😭 so I just need to re-memorise all of that. But chem5, I just can't do it! Like there's so many things to learn, and I haven't even started doing past papers yet!
Woah, why do you have so many exams? How many subjects do you take?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah hopefully will be, I dunno it just kinda clicked when i started to learn it, probably need to look over redox stuff again with the electrode potentials, lol same done 2 past papers so far, literally have zero time whatsoever. Taking 3 sciences, maths and further maths so f214 bio on monday, maths on tuesday, chem4 wednesday, phys thurs, c3 friday :frown: and then all the unit 5 modules the week after! And i've done 6 resits aswell just to add to it.
Yeah hopefully will be, I dunno it just kinda clicked when i started to learn it, probably need to look over redox stuff again with the electrode potentials, lol same done 2 past papers so far, literally have zero time whatsoever. Taking 3 sciences, maths and further maths so f214 bio on monday, maths on tuesday, chem4 wednesday, phys thurs, c3 friday :frown: and then all the unit 5 modules the week after! And i've done 6 resits aswell just to add to it.

wow u, my man are a legend. i was wondering if you can explain to me how did you go about learning transition metals, i just cant get my head around them.
Original post by examrush
wow u, my man are a legend. i was wondering if you can explain to me how did you go about learning transition metals, i just cant get my head around them.

Ahah hmm not sure about legend but cheers! Ok so there's still time, but admittedly I started learning them around March, once we'd finished the chem5 course. Our teacher advised us to use the oxford purple textbook, there's a good few pages towards the end with all the compounds, colours and equations. so i wrote each one out separately on a new piece of paper and spent about 30 mins everyday for 10 days rewriting each compound, colour and equation. I did them in batches so all of cobalt at once, then all of copper, chromium was the worst cos there's a lot but yeah that's what I did. Then I'd cover it up and see if I can write all of them, then eventually by the end, write all the colours and compounds out onto one piece of paper. Since then i've not even looked at them, will need to recap chromium most likely! If i was to do it a different way, I would have probably tried to spot a trend in colours of each compound, so it might be quicker/easier to learn. Hope this makes sense/sorry for the long post!
Ahah hmm not sure about legend but cheers! Ok so there's still time, but admittedly I started learning them around March, once we'd finished the chem5 course. Our teacher advised us to use the oxford purple textbook, there's a good few pages towards the end with all the compounds, colours and equations. so i wrote each one out separately on a new piece of paper and spent about 30 mins everyday for 10 days rewriting each compound, colour and equation. I did them in batches so all of cobalt at once, then all of copper, chromium was the worst cos there's a lot but yeah that's what I did. Then I'd cover it up and see if I can write all of them, then eventually by the end, write all the colours and compounds out onto one piece of paper. Since then i've not even looked at them, will need to recap chromium most likely! If i was to do it a different way, I would have probably tried to spot a trend in colours of each compound, so it might be quicker/easier to learn. Hope this makes sense/sorry for the long post!

lol i wish i was joking, oh my god man if you can give me a link to any source where i can find All these reactions, their colour changes ect you will truly be a legend, you will make my life so much easier, i'm holding my breath while i wait for yr reply no homo
Original post by examrush
lol i wish i was joking, oh my god man if you can give me a link to any source where i can find All these reactions, their colour changes ect you will truly be a legend, you will make my life so much easier, i'm holding my breath while i wait for yr reply no homo

Aha i'm thankful for your comments! Didn't use any online resource, do you have the purple aqa oxford textbook?
I know i'm over-complicating this but could somebody explain to me how to do question 4 a)
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM4-QP-JAN12.PDF
Original post by JulietR
I know i'm over-complicating this but could somebody explain to me how to do question 4 a)
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM4-QP-JAN12.PDF

Use C1V1=C2V2. If you don't know about that let me know.
Original post by randlemcmurphy
Use C1V1=C2V2. If you don't know about that let me know.

Sorry I don't know about that :redface:
Original post by JulietR
Sorry I don't know about that :redface:

So before water is added:

C1=0.0850 moldm-3
V1=25x10-3 dm3

Then water is added:

C2=to be calculated
V2=(100+25) cm3 =125x10-3 dm3

Then just rearrange for C2 and as HCl is monoprotic the pH will just be -log10(C2)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending