The Student Room Group

AQA A2 CHEM4 & CHEM5 June 2015 [official discussion thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ilovemaths96
i'd say the most important thing for carbonyl is you're synthetic routes and tests. All the other conceptual understanding like why are primary and secondary amines stronger bases than ammonia are not too difficult

Okay thanks, going to try and go topic by topic and see how far I get, this is what I get for neglecting chemistry!
Original post by Shruti12
Aldehyde is oxidised to a carboxylic acid.

but you could also use acidified potassium dichromate and heat it under reflux to go from aldehyde to carboxylic acid right?
Original post by baffledchick
Okay thanks, going to try and go topic by topic and see how far I get, this is what I get for neglecting chemistry!

same neglected it for far too long. Hopefully aqa wont be too harsh tomorrow, in fact for the rest of the exam session
same neglected it for far too long. Hopefully aqa wont be too harsh tomorrow, in fact for the rest of the exam session

I wish I had done some revision last night... my bed was too comfy and I fell asleep :frown: yeah hopefully! Definitely for chem 5 ahh, which I find easier than this but still, let's just pray there are loads of simple mechanism questions with no cyclic stuff,
I hope the paper follows the predictable pattern that it normally does. Hope a big chunk is on pH calculations.
Original post by baffledchick
I wish I had done some revision last night... my bed was too comfy and I fell asleep :frown: yeah hopefully! Definitely for chem 5 ahh, which I find easier than this but still, let's just pray there are loads of simple mechanism questions with no cyclic stuff,

haha I prefer chem 5, actually interests me as opposed to the organic stuff. If there are cyclic compounds that would be terrible.
haha I prefer chem 5, actually interests me as opposed to the organic stuff. If there are cyclic compounds that would be terrible.

I used to be like that, but now I have taken a liking to organic chemistry. CHEM5 bores me because it is all about remembering colours etc. Although redox equilibria is very enjoyable for me.
Original post by randlemcmurphy
I used to be like that, but now I have taken a liking to organic chemistry. CHEM5 bores me because it is all about remembering colours etc. Although redox equilibria is very enjoyable for me.

redox is fun, always liked half equations. True but for some of the ions whatever you add they remain the same. And i guess its less understanding more learning and memorising
just to confirm

aryl amines are weaker bases than ammonia as the aryl groups withdraw electrons from N aton as lone pair overlaps with delocalised system making lone pair less available to incoming protons
would it be a good idea to start from question 5 onwards, then do the easier questions (q1-4) afterwards?
would it be a good idea to start from question 5 onwards, then do the easier questions (q1-4) afterwards?

I'd go in order, I used to do this and ending up wasting time flicking back through the pages.
Anyone gimme some help with question 1c in the jan 12 paper chem4, that **** aint in the book right?
Do we need to know how exactly nmr works? Like with nuclear spin etc?
I'd go in order, I used to do this and ending up wasting time flicking back through the pages.

yeah good point
How do u revise when you've done all the papers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1595
I hope the paper follows the predictable pattern that it normally does. Hope a big chunk is on pH calculations.

I sure hope so, they've done it even in the old spec... How are you feeling about it? and are what's your revision plan for tonight?
You know when you write the equation, showing the radical and + molecule formed, is structural formula OK? Or do I always need displayed, even for the radical???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shiney101
Do we need to know how exactly nmr works? Like with nuclear spin etc?

I looked through the spec, they say the structure determination section is more on problem solving.
Reply 1598
Original post by Thebest786
You know when you write the equation, showing the radical and + molecule formed, is structural formula OK? Or do I always need displayed, even for the radical???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Structural is fine, unless they tell you otherwise. Some questions ask to give the displayed formula of the free radical produced specifically so watch out for the wording in the question
Original post by yfp786
Anyone gimme some help with question 1c in the jan 12 paper chem4, that **** aint in the book right?

It is, it is G because k increases with temperature. On page 13 of the book

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending