The Student Room Group

AQA A2 CHEM4 & CHEM5 June 2015 [official discussion thread]

Scroll to see replies

What is the value of Kc affected by?
What is the value of k affected by?

Is the answer to both these questions, concentration, pressure and temperature, and catalyst has no effect?
Original post by Kill3er

Is the answer to both these questions, concentration, pressure and temperature, and catalyst has no effect?

I thought K was only affected by temperature?
How does everyone find the timing for this paper? What is the best way to do it?
Original post by Kill3er

temp alone for both
Original post by Ilovemaths96
whats the equation page no.?

the example I have in notes is CH3COOH + Na -> CH300-Na+ + H2

Another thing can you or anyone else explain to fat and oils and that bit, it's kinda confusing me - does it always break into propane-1,2,3-triol and some sorta long chain carboxylic acid?
Original post by baffledchick
How does everyone find the timing for this paper? What is the best way to do it?

some people say start with harder questions and then do easy questions.
Or just go through it in order
spelling it seems :smile:

I meant WEAKKKK OMG that was a total accident im tired ok and I didn't read over !!! im an A grade English student .. haha no but seriously it was an accident. spelling police.
Original post by adorablegirl1202

Another thing can you or anyone else explain to fat and oils and that bit, it's kinda confusing me - does it always break into propane-1,2,3-triol and some sorta long chain carboxylic acid?

put a 2 infront of h2 and its balanced?

yeah i think so but you'll have to verify that
rate = k[NO]2[O2]
Units of k
mol dm-3

is the mark scheme on the specimen wrong there^?
put a 2 infront of h2 and its balanced?

yeah i think so but you'll have to verify that

Oh yeah of course well that's easy haha, the notes my teacher gave didn't have it balanced when usually it is so I got a bit confused - thanks!!!
Original post by student_anonnn
I meant WEAKKKK OMG that was a total accident im tired ok and I didn't read over !!! im an A grade English student .. haha no but seriously it was an accident. spelling police.

lol relax! Chem 4 has that effect haha
Oh yeah of course well that's easy haha, the notes my teacher gave didn't have it balanced when usually it is so I got a bit confused - thanks!!!

:smile:
so when fats and oils are hydrolysed by NaOH they give propane 1,2,3-triol (glycerol) and a soap right?
so when fats and oils are hydrolysed by NaOH they give propane 1,2,3-triol (glycerol) and a soap right?

Yep, and to form biodiesel which is a methyl ester of long carboxylic acid chain is it a triglyceride ester + alcohol gives you glycerol and biodiesel?
is it just me that's finding a tonne of errors in the specimen paper/ms?
Original post by baffledchick
Yep, and to form biodiesel which is a methyl ester of long carboxylic acid chain is it a triglyceride ester + alcohol gives you glycerol and biodiesel?

to form biodiesel add long carboxylic acid to methanol to give glycerol and biodiesel
to form biodiesel add long carboxylic acid to methanol to give glycerol and biodiesel

Thank you! This was confusing me! And a strong alkali catalyst I think

It's CH3COOH +NaOH ===> CH3COONa + H20
Original post by EdwardLees
It's CH3COOH +NaOH ===> CH3COONa + H20

Yeah I think the equations are
Acid + metal - Salt + Hydrogen
Acid + Alkali/Metal oxide - Salt + Water
Acid + Metal carbonate - Salt + Water + CO2
how did everyone find the jan 2011 paper ? chem 4

Quick Reply