The Student Room Group

How would you cure the obesity epidemic across the world?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JulietheCat
I've known people who eat 2,000-3,000 calorie meals just because of the honey glaze sauce.

If a monopoly on sauces didn't exist in restaurants, I'm sure they wouldn't be obese by now.

For competition reasons, unfortunately the best way to not eat at those places is to find recipes online and hack at it until you make something similar. It's the only way.
Don't get why people are so keen to restrict personal liberty by reducing choice in supermarket/introducing punitive taxes on so-called 'unhealthy' food to deal with this problem.

The much, much simpler, fairer and more efficient method is to tax people extra based on their weight (or body fat %/waist size if worried about muscularity). Ultimate freedom then to let people eat what they want - if they wish to pay less taxes, they'll get healthy; and if they don't get healthy, they'll pay for themselves with the extra taxes.
Original post by Larissa14
but its to the people to learn the basic facts.
like if someone wanted to live in France they would learn french . If you wanted to get healthy you would look for advice , search up sports you enjoy and maybe even take up a course in college. Many people are not really interested in healthy living and are looking for an easy way out but life doesn't work like that so they will still remain obese

When you have a problem as a society, it's up to you as a society to try to solve it, is it not? We educate our kids about contraception to cut down on teen pregnancies. We don't just say "its to the people to learn the basic facts" [sic] and that it's their own fault if they get pregnant too young, because as a society we'd like to reduce the number of teenage pregnancies.
Original post by e aí rapaz
When you have a problem as a society, it's up to you as a society to try to solve it, is it not? We educate our kids about contraception to cut down on teen pregnancies. We don't just say "its to the people to learn the basic facts" [sic] and that it's their own fault if they get pregnant too young, because as a society we'd like to reduce the number of teenage pregnancies.

I guess that's true. A lot of school have healthy eating programmes within the school . I think it's more the adults that need educating than the kids. :smile:
i don't really know how we can solve that.
By the way the arguments for taxing sugary food/fast food are stupid, I eat that **** everyday and am 170lbs, why should I be punished for others being ignoramuses
Reply 165
Lol, yes it . Most people who are fat don't exercise enough and have high metabolism which means that they are slower to burn fat which mean to burn fat they need to do high cardio sports like marathon running and rowing.
low metabolism people who burn fat quicker are like trained to do sports like sprinting.

So wrong its funny.
Original post by Maker
So wrong its funny.

Yeah when I re read it now, I have relized what mistake I wrote, I ment it the other way round. High metBolism -burns fat quicker and low metabolism - burns fat slower.
cba to change this now, lol :colondollar:

But if it's still wrong can you tell me why?
Reply 167
Take away the cake and make them run
Reply 168
Yeah when I re read it now, I have relized what mistake I wrote, I ment it the other way round. High metBolism -burns fat quicker and low metabolism - burns fat slower.
cba to change this now, lol :colondollar:

But if it's still wrong can you tell me why?

Exercise can help with weight lose but its not essential. You just need to reduce your calorie intake below your calorie expenditure.

You can sit around all day and lose weight if you eat less than you expend.
Original post by Maker
Exercise can help with weight lose but its not essential. You just need to reduce your calorie intake below your calorie expenditure.

Yeah, i know , I think I actually wrote that,just not in that post. But exercise doesn't really help cut down heart disease and type 2 diabetes .
But I agree what you are,saying too
Original post by Maker

Said near enough the same thing on page 7 , would quote it but I really don't know how to quote on tsr
Original post by bertstare
By the way the arguments for taxing sugary food/fast food are stupid, I eat that **** everyday and am 170lbs, why should I be punished for others being ignoramuses

Damn right. At uni I ate digustingly greasy burgers/kebabs 3-4 nights a week and copious amounts of alcohol with the same frequency. I still lost more than 10kg (while also putting on muscle) in my first year because I did intense sport 1-3 hours a day. And that's also despite doing 0 exercise and eating whatever I wanted for the 6 months of the year that were holidays.

From an optimization/economist's perspective, taxing sugary food is an inefficient solution to the problem of obesity; taxing obesity itself is the way to go.
taxing unhealthy food wouldn't work - too much demand. Although it would be a good way to generate tax revenue.
If people want to ruin their health by making themselves as disgusting as possible, that is none of my business. Nor the state's.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending