The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

I don't understand the UKCAT mark scheme, could someone kindly explain to me please.
Reply 1181
FINALLY got an interview! It's not HCA but a NA job in a psychiatric ward. My undergraduate is in psychology and even though we didn't do much abnormal, I'm hoping it'll work in my favour.

Anyone got any tips for interview? Also - I'm right in not telling them that I'm applying for medicine? I'm worried if I do they won't give me the job as I won't be long-term......

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, when Barts say they'd be 50:50 weighting applied to ukcat score and academics, does that mean good grades will make up for a lower ukcat?
Anyone planning on applying to Imperial? If so, is there anywhere I could find admissions statistics for graduate entry? Cheers.
Original post by DoeADeer
Anyone planning on applying to Imperial? If so, is there anywhere I could find admissions statistics for graduate entry? Cheers.

Just to make you aware (if you weren't already) that Imperials graduate course is now 5 years and you don't get tuition fee support etc. The funding works as if it was a normal 5 year degree as a second degree.
Original post by Mr Men
Just to make you aware (if you weren't already) that Imperials graduate course is now 5 years and you don't get tuition fee support etc. The funding works as if it was a normal 5 year degree as a second degree.

Damnnnnn! I knew it was 5 years, but didn't realise there wasn't any financial support. Thanks for letting me know. I loved Imperial. :frown:

You could call the college or send them a FOI request.
Original post by Rose256
Hey guys, when Barts say they'd be 50:50 weighting applied to ukcat score and academics, does that mean good grades will make up for a lower ukcat?

Probably, as one could offset the other, and the overall score will be used.

Is that right?
Just had a look at Barts and it says points weighting on degree classification or postgraduate degrees. I have a 1st in my BSc and I'm due to start my MSc in September. I know that some places will only look at the highest qualification at the time of application whilst others are fine as long as you've completed prior to entry. So does anyone know whether they look at BSc and postgrad degree or only one or the other, and if they want to qualification to be completed at the time of application.

Sorry for the ramble. I'm just trying to ascertain what sort of hoop jumping is required this year.
Original post by tw781
FINALLY got an interview! It's not HCA but a NA job in a psychiatric ward. My undergraduate is in psychology and even though we didn't do much abnormal, I'm hoping it'll work in my favour.

Anyone got any tips for interview? Also - I'm right in not telling them that I'm applying for medicine? I'm worried if I do they won't give me the job as I won't be long-term......

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, not sure if you're aware but hospitals tend to use the terms NA and HCA interchangeably - it's the same job. The hospital where I work some people call us NAs and some call us HCAs but it means the same thing. I assume other hospitals are the same.
Original post by ladybird198
Probably, as one could offset the other, and the overall score will be used.

Is that right?

I hope so coz I'm worried my ukcat won't be good
How do we actually input our UKCAT scores on the application? I've heard that the UKCAT people send your score along with our application but how do they know which score is for which applicant?
Original post by sampowell92
How do we actually input our UKCAT scores on the application? I've heard that the UKCAT people send your score along with our application but how do they know which score is for which applicant?

You have an ID number and it gets sent from Pearson Vue to UCAS. No need to put it in UCAS

Posted from TSR Mobile

You input your details (ucas ID, uni choices) into their system when they ask you for it. I think they said it would be around September.
Original post by liam__
You input your details (ucas ID, uni choices) into their system when they ask you for it. I think they said it would be around September.

They don't ask you for your UKCAT score. At least not in previous years? Pearson Vue send it automatically by matching your name, DoB etc.
Original post by MJK91
They don't ask you for your UKCAT score. At least not in previous years? Pearson Vue send it automatically by matching your name, DoB etc.

Some of the UKCAT documentation I have says that I'll have to log back into my Pearson account at some point to input my uni choices and UCAS personal ID. Did they automatically send the scores without this stuff last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MJK91

Yeah, I did the UKCAT a few years ago and they did it all automatically, but when I registered this year it said that after we've taken the UKCAT or when we've sent our ucas off (can't remember which one) we have to log in and send it off to the unis outselves or something like that. No idea why. :confused:
Who else is applying to just UKCAT unis? I decided to not do the GAMSAT as my UKCAT is only a week before it and I wanted to focus on that and I know the GAMSAT requires a lot of prep. Kinda regretting it now as I've realised there are hardly any UKCAT unis at graduate entry. Majority seem to be GAMSAT.

The only ones I can apply to are King's, Barts and Southampton (can't apply to Warwick as don't have 90hrs work experience), and I don't really fancy going to Southampton. Can someone just check that I'm not missing any off or if the entry aptitude tests have changed for any unis pls? Thanks.

This is all assuming I get over 750 on the UKCAT. If not then I guess I'll have to apply the following year. :frown:
Who else is applying to just UKCAT unis? I decided to not do the GAMSAT as my UKCAT is only a week before it and I wanted to focus on that and I know the GAMSAT requires a lot of prep. Kinda regretting it now as I've realised there are hardly any UKCAT unis at graduate entry. Majority seem to be GAMSAT.

The only ones I can apply to are King's, Barts and Southampton (can't apply to Warwick as don't have 90hrs work experience), and I don't really fancy going to Southampton. Can someone just check that I'm not missing any off or if the entry aptitude tests have changed for any unis pls? Thanks.

This is all assuming I get over 750 on the UKCAT. If not then I guess I'll have to apply the following year. :frown:

Newcastle is also an option. Any reason you don't fancy Southampton? It requires a chemistry A-level so I would assume there will be a lower number of applicants than some others..

Other than that, those are the only UKCAT unis. However there is a choice of 6, and you can only apply to 4, so it's not too bad for choice
Newcastle is also an option. Any reason you don't fancy Southampton? It requires a chemistry A-level so I would assume there will be a lower number of applicants than some others..

Other than that, those are the only UKCAT unis. However there is a choice of 6, and you can only apply to 4, so it's not too bad for choice

Ideally I'd want to go to a London one so I can commute there so I don't have to pay for accommodation and living costs haha. But, if I get an offer from any uni on a graduate course I'd definitely go. I probably will end up applying for graduate entry at King's, Barts and Southampton, then possibly use the 4th choice for an undergrad 5 year course somewhere else (maybe Barts again).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending