The Student Room Group

Is It Socially Acceptable To Be Fat?

There seems to be a double standard in society nowadays. If someone (a guy or girl) is clearly fat/overweight and you even do so much as point out it's unhealthy, that's seen as bad because fat is seen as the norm.

But if someone takes care of their health/exercises a lot they're often labelled a "fitness freak" or other stupid term. And people (especially women) with perfectly healthy BMIs/body fat levels who are in shape are told to "eat a burger" and "real women have curves." (:rolleyes:)

So is it more socially acceptable to be fat than fit?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just to be clear: healthy BMIs aren't a signifier of healthiness.
No, it's just a sort of taboo. You dont point it out specifically that someone's unhealthy/a fitness freak simply because it's rude! It's bad to be unhealthy like that so saying that to someone can be taken as rude.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Mackay

I'm aware that they aren't a totally clear indicator (e.g. someone with a lot of muscle, like an athlete, can be very fit and still have a supposedly "overweight" BMI). But people (especially women, and even those who work out) are often labelled "underweight" when they're perfectly healthy, because we see unhealthiness as almost being normal.
Reply 4
Lol obviously not in general society. People still get teased for it and it is still seen as a social "issue." If someone is hella chunkay ok and? I got over making fun of someone for being fat since ...well I never did it :s-smilie: My mom is overweight :colonhash: And cries about it all the time.
It's generally seen as OK to mock people for advantages, but not disadvantages. Hence why it's OK to mock someone for being posh, but considered poor form to mock someone for being poor or chavvy. It's OK to mock a smart person for being a nerd, but not OK to insult someone for being stupid. It's more acceptable to generalise white people than black people.

Being fat is seen as a bad thing and a disadvantage. That is why it has this social protection from ridicule.
Reply 6
no, it's our responsibility to point and laugh at fatties
I don't think we should mock people for how they look (or eat) at all; it's their choice.

I mean, I'm losing weight for my own health benefit at the moment, but I bloody love food; I completely relate to other people loving food.

I have a housemate who works out most days and wouldn't dream of slagging her off for that either.

Stop being so concerned about other people and concentrate on being happy yourself; life's too short.
Of course not. People make fun of fat people all the time. Whether it should be acceptable or not is another question entirely. Personally, I'm not sure what the answer to that is...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Being fat is an individuals business if it is causing no adverse effect to other than the individual.
Reply 10
Original post by Mackay

Pretty sure the Chief Health Officer said in her annual report that BMI might not be perfect, but was a good guide to this sort of stuff.

Also just pointing out, not willing to cause an argument or the like
Socially acceptable hahaha no way. Definitely not in school, you usually get bullied hard.

I'd rather date a fitness freak than a fatty.
It depends what you mean. If you aren't in a healthy BMI range (that includes underweight too) then you should change your lifestyle as it isn't healthy.

In terms of appearance wise, weight doesn't mean anything. We all have different bone structures so it depends whether you look good or not. I think we should portray healthy images rather than skinny. Eg, Holly Willabooby ain't skinny but she looks good.

NB: I have lost 2 St in the last year :P
Reply 13
No.
Reply 14
Original post by shamzaabbas
Pretty sure the Chief Health Officer said in her annual report that BMI might not be perfect, but was a good guide to this sort of stuff.

Also just pointing out, not willing to cause an argument or the like

I totally get that - but I know a lot of people who are probably overweight in terms of BMI but really healthy and not at all effected by it. I, personally, was in the healthy range of BMI for a long time but was battling with an eating disorder and my habits were nowhere near healthy.

It isn't as black and white as it may seem - but obviously it's an indicator for the majority.
Y'all mad cuz you aint got curves
Fat is definitely the norm around here.

I'm thin and often feel a bit of an odd one out the UK, especially in summer when in shorts and short dresses. But when I was on holiday in France I was actually amazed by how much slimmer French young women were. I didn't think our country was that much different, but it is so noticeable.

I think because fat is more or less the norm it is becoming les acceptable to criticise fatness. Because you're essentially criticising a significant proportion of the population.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by TolerantBeing
Fat is definitely the norm around here.

I'm thin and often feel a bit of an odd one out the UK, especially in summer when in shorts and short dresses. But when I was on holiday in France I was actually amazed by how much slimmer French young women were. I didn't think our country was that much different, but it is so noticeable.

I think because fat is more or less the norm it is becoming les acceptable to criticise fatness. Because you're essentially criticising a significant proportion of the population.

It's interesting - I've read studies on French culture and cuisine.

British people are said to "love their food" but only 40% of Brits said they enjoyed eating compared to a whopping 95% in France. That's because the French take great care with their food - they eat communally as an experience, eating fresh ingredients and wholesome dishes and take pleasure in it.

Even in fast food restaurants, French people eat on average ten minutes faster than Brits and Americans. The "eat fast, get out quick" mentality is really detrimental in our country I think.
Being fat is definitely a lot more socially accepted compared to other parts of the world. Be a fat women in Eastern Europe or South America and you will be treated like a lepa. Due to these reasons is why there is a lot less fat women in these countries...if fat women were treated as badly as they are in those countries there would be less obesity amongst women.

I work with some Eastern European women who have got fat since coming to the UK...I can guarantee if they went back to Eastern Europe they would be slim again due to the pressure there.

I actually think it is a good thing that there is not a lot of pressure to be slim in the UK, it just irritates me when people say there is loads, purely because it is false.
Reply 19
Original post by Magnetist-Master

I actually think it is a good thing that there is not a lot of pressure to be slim in the UK, it just irritates me when people say there is loads, purely because it is false.

That's a very blinkered view.

There IS a lot of pressure to be slim in the UK - especially for young women. Try telling your opinion to people with eating disorders up and down the country.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending