The Student Room Group

Housewives...

Some time ago, a woman being a housewife was obviously more common and normal but now with the empowerment of women and availabilities would you guys accept the fact that your wife wanted to be a housewife (due to reasons as she was unemployed/could only get a job with low pay/didn't finish university)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No she should work ...
Reply 2
Depends on the guy doesn't it?
I find that the ultra-ambitious manly types aren't necessarily attracted to their mirror image in female form so to speak.

Whereas the opposite of the guy above would probably want a domineering ambitious woman.
Reply 3
mums a house wife

she chose to stay at home, look after the kids etc

dad earns more than enough, a ok
Reply 4
Original post by P357
Depends on the guy doesn't it?
I find that the ultra-ambitious manly types aren't necessarily attracted to their mirror image in female form so to speak.

Whereas the opposite of the guy above would probably want a domineering ambitious woman.

oh yes true! It's same with many men wanting to earn more than their wives!
Original post by iamu
mums a house wife

she chose to stay at home, look after the kids etc

dad earns more than enough, a ok

yes I guess men who earn enough to support the entire family wouldn't mind!
Reply 5
I would gladly accept her being a housewife if I bring in enough cash for us to live without a worry :smile:
No, I'll earn enough for that, but I think her being financially dependent on me would create a fundamental imbalance in the relationship.
Reply 7
Original post by TheBBQ
I would gladly accept her being a housewife if I bring in enough cash for us to live without a worry :smile:

Original post by Le Nombre
No, I'll earn enough for that, but I think her being financially dependent on me would create a fundamental imbalance in the relationship.

It's interesting to hear different responses.
I've always thought it's easier for a man to cheat on his wife if she's financially dependent on him as most of the time in such situations she'd just have to accept that fact and brush it off. Same if he suddenly divorced her - if she was dependent on him financially most of her life she'll have a hard time.
Original post by Meduza
I've always thought it's easier for a man to cheat on his wife if she's financially dependent on him as most of the time in such situations she'd just have to accept that fact and brush it off. Same if he suddenly divorced her - if she was dependent on him financially most of her life she'll have a hard time.

Yeah, I also think it can breed resentment on both sides, as you just don't get each other's lives. It's easy for the breadwinner to feel the housewife/husband is just at home spending money, when they can be very bored, and it's easy for the one left at home to feel abandoned in favour of their other half's work, particularly amongst City/general London workers who commute in from the HCs and are probably away from home 12-14 hours a day.
Reply 9
Original post by Meduza

I just like the idea of having a wife with a strong motherly instinct who wants to do her best for the kids and bond with them as much as possible.. because there is nothing stronger than a maternal bond tbh. But that's only if I could handle all the finances myself :tongue:
Just my opinion on what would be best :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by TheBBQ
I just like the idea of having a wife with a strong motherly instinct who wants to do her best for the kids and bond with them as much as possible.. because there is nothing stronger than a maternal bond tbh. But that's only if I could handle all the finances myself :tongue:
Just my opinion on what would be best :smile:

that's interesting :tongue: I didn't hear this reason before ahha!
Reply 11
Original post by Meduza
that's interesting :tongue: I didn't hear this reason before ahha!

That's what I think anyway. Probably because I'm Asian though.. and also that you just see it in nature. Like how babies require their mum for milk for their immune system and a mother just somehow knows what her baby is crying about and no one else does.. :redface:
Reply 12
Original post by TheBBQ
That's what I think anyway. Probably because I'm Asian though.. and also that you just see it in nature. Like how babies require their mum for milk for their immune system and a mother just somehow knows what her baby is crying about and no one else does.. :redface:

oh yes true :wink: and how during divorces the child usually stays with mom :wink: and I might be wrong, but in general I believe mothers love their children more than dads... :colondollar:
Reply 13
Original post by Meduza
oh yes true :wink: and how during divorces the child usually stays with mom :wink: and I might be wrong, but in general I believe mothers love their children more than dads... :colondollar:

I'm not sure about that, but they definitely show it more :smile:
As young women who has babysit and done all the housecleaning and up-keeping for the duration of my teenage years.
I think I'm right to say I would rather work than be a housewife, it's all abit too tedious and then you have little cretins come back from school only to mess **** up again. Nah f- that. Stuck in the house all day would drive me loco.

*However* I do like the idea of being a housewife but putting in practice, not for me. That maybe due to the fact they were not my kids and I'm lazy, I definitely think when I have kids and a husband in the future I will enjoy doing that. Until then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
No. Desiring to be a housewife conveys very unattractive qualities like submisiviness, lack of ambition, and a general willingness to take a back seat in life.

I wouldn't be able to respect someone who just lives off my money.
I'm sure I could provide a small stipend for her provided she did all of her housewife duties to a reasonably high standard.
As long as she is happy I don't really care what she does. As long as we could make ends meet, I don't really care what she did for a living (to an extent).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by DiddyDec
As long as she is happy I don't really care what she does. As long as we could make ends meet, I don't really care what she did for a living (to an extent).

Posted from TSR Mobile

glad you put that :toofunny:
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
I'm sure I could provide a small stipend for her provided she did all of her housewife duties to a reasonably high standard.

hahaha
Reply 19
Yes. In my opinion, I always think the husband should be bigger than the woman. It's very rare that the woman aims beneath her, it most doesn't work out well. I'm not fussed about whether she's a house wife, she can have some independance to a degree. But she will not be the main bread winner, because that would entitle her as the boss in the relationship. I'm not here for that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending