The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Chemistry Unit 5, F325 15th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dr. Django
Our methods are pretty similar, and the answer checks out so hopefully we are right? I got the question from this video at 3:30

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLbJbCQgCpBPumOYeiFH8IRpjqSAjX6dQn&v=VCMDm3ISkBY

And then I googled the question as I wasn't satisfied with that answer and found this (nice few questions)
http://www.stjoe.k12.in.us/ourpages/auto/2011/2/8/56759726/buffers_key.doc

I think you're right and perhaps they just forgot about ha being in excess
Number 7 is the question we're doing, and they give 0.2 as the answer!

Yeah it seems like we are in agreement.. Surely we can't both be wrong?!
I might ask my Chemistry teacher about it tomorrow though just to be certain as I am going to see her anyway :smile:
Original post by Octarine_Flame
Yeah it seems like we are in agreement.. Surely we can't both be wrong?!
I might ask my Chemistry teacher about it tomorrow though just to be certain as I am going to see her anyway :smile:

Yeah, thanks for the reassurance. It'd be nice if you could get your teacher to check it but no pressure :smile:

I'm pleased I'm finally getting the hang of these buffer calculations as I used to find them impossible!

IF ANYONE WANTS A GOOD REVISION RESOURCE:

Look up 'Machemguy' on YouTube, the buffers stuff is quality and he had loads of different content, all explained really well.
Yeah, thanks for the reassurance. It'd be nice if you could get your teacher to check it but no pressure :smile:

I'm pleased I'm finally getting the hang of these buffer calculations as I used to find them impossible!

Look up 'Machemguy' on YouTube, the buffers stuff is quality and he had loads of different content, all explained really well.

I did it again and I agree with you two. The crux is that there's an excess of acid in the buffer, which is something I always forget :-/
Original post by the1akshay
I did it again and I agree with you two. The crux is that there's an excess of acid in the buffer, which is something I always forget :-/

Thanks, that's really reassuring as I still wasn't 100% convinced!

Up until a few days ago the whole excess thing massively confused me but 'Machemguy' finally made me understand, on my 3rd year of a-level chemistry :tongue:
Original post by the1akshay
So the reaction they're talking about is the combination of the first and the last half equations from the data. The electrode potential as well as the question's wording (V2+ present) tells you that permanganate is reduced and vanadium oxidised. So combine the reactions, multiplying the top one by 5 to match electrons:

MnO4- + 8H+ + 5V2+ -> 5V3+ + Mn2+ + 4H2O.

Their specific questions: Vanadium has an oxidation state of +3, and the species is V3+. The half equation is the reverse of the equation at the top.

Is that correct?

Thank you so much for response! :smile: // That's exactly what I thought, but if you look at the answer (which is the third image attachment), it is completely different. I just didn't understand how that could be the answer. I am thinking that it might be a mistake, but the resst of the answers follow suite, so I don't know. :s-smilie:

For buffer calculations;

[H+] = Ka x [acid] / [salt]

Just learn how to rearrange it
Original post by kate8
How can you tell if a transition metal complex will be square planar shape or tetrahedral?Thanks! :smile:

Firstly most of your complexes will be octahedral [Cu(H2O)6] for example. In other words, a complex with a coordination number of 6 will be octahedral.

To figure out which are tetrahedral just look for ones which have a coordination number of 4; [CoCl4] etc.

However, there is an exception; cis-platin...this one is unique. You need to know that cis-platin has a shape of sqaure-planar. All the other with a coordination number of four are tetrahedral.

I hope this helped
Original post by AnshulK
For buffer calculations;

[H+] = Ka x [acid] / [salt]

Just learn how to rearrange it

Thanks, I know that, there's just often a whole lot more to it than that! Anyway I'm fine with buffers now :smile:
Guys in the textbook can anyone explain how to work out 2.2.9 question 2a? The answer in the textbook doesn't make sense to me because the number of hydrogen's aren't balanced or maybe it's me just going crazy 😓

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AbiiZola
Guys in the textbook can anyone explain how to work out 2.2.9 question 2a? The answer in the textbook doesn't make sense to me because the number of hydrogen's aren't balanced or maybe it's me just going crazy 😓

Posted from TSR Mobile

2HBr + H2SO4 -> Br2 + SO2 +2H2O

I think its a typo, it should just be 2H2O
Yh that's what I got thank you! I've been staring at my book for ages wondering what's wrong with me 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
is it the Kc that we don't add water ( even though its in the equation?????? so confused?
Original post by games211
is it the Kc that we don't add water ( even though its in the equation?????? so confused?

no , its for K stab
Original post by TheLegalDealer
no , its for K stab

is that the transition elements section?
Original post by games211
is that the transition elements section?

Yes , because K stab measures the stability of transition metal complex ions
Original post by TheLegalDealer
Yes , because K stab measures the stability of transition metal complex ions

thnks
Reply 1796
For the alkali hydrolysis of ester with NaOH you form an alcohol and carboxylate ion (COO-Na+) why doesn't the alcohol go O-Na+ aswell?
Original post by kate8
For the alkali hydrolysis of ester with NaOH you form an alcohol and carboxylate ion (COO-Na+) why doesn't the alcohol go O-Na+ aswell?

This is what I was thinking
Wrong thread by the way

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kate8

You need excess NaOH to turn the alcohol group into O-Na+ I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kate8

Because the alcohol hydroxyl group does not dissociate to the same extent as the carboxylic acid group, hence you cannot form a salt from an alcohol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending