The Student Room Group

How to get A/A* in A level chemistry

As the title suggests, I'm looking to get the higher grades at A-level but I'm really struggling (not putting in enough work)
At the start of Yr 12, I was predicted AAAA, but I'm finding it really difficult (Chemistry in particular)
Does anyone have any good revision notes/websites/ tips/past papers that they would be willing to share with me? I'm going into Yr 13 in September and I'm determined to get the highest possible grades.
Thanks in advance
Reply 1
I'd reccomened E Rintoul on YouTube to cover content you don't understand fully as he explains it all and then goes through questions with you. then the official AQA A level chem past papers and specimens, but also the website A-level Chemistry is an amazing resource with loads and loads of revision material and past papers. I just finsihed a level chem and those things helped me out loads. Good luck!
Hey I got an A in A-level Chemistry and I am going to study it at university. I have a few tips which really worked for me (went from B at AS to A at A level)

1. Past papers for days! Honestly just knowing the content isn’t enough for chemistry because most exam question will require problem solving and exam technique. I used physics and maths tutor and did every exam question by topic (at least twice) and then I did every exam paper 2/3 times. You will be sick of them by the end but it will make the exams so much easier

2. Understand the content don’t just memorise it, most exam questions will require an understanding of the topic rather than being able to regurgitate information. Ask questions on topics you’re stuck on I’d recommend chemguide it’s very good at explaining concepts. However they’re are some things you just need to remember e.g colours of transition elements etc

3. Focus on the things you really struggle with first/ find difficult to remember and don’t leave all your revision until the last minute. Start revising asap

Hope this helps, I really enjoyed chemistry a level and I hope you find this useful. Feel free to message me for anything else I didn’t want to go on for too long lol 😊
Original post by xchloeann
Hey I got an A in A-level Chemistry and I am going to study it at university. I have a few tips which really worked for me (went from B at AS to A at A level)

1. Past papers for days! Honestly just knowing the content isn’t enough for chemistry because most exam question will require problem solving and exam technique. I used physics and maths tutor and did every exam question by topic (at least twice) and then I did every exam paper 2/3 times. You will be sick of them by the end but it will make the exams so much easier

2. Understand the content don’t just memorise it, most exam questions will require an understanding of the topic rather than being able to regurgitate information. Ask questions on topics you’re stuck on I’d recommend chemguide it’s very good at explaining concepts. However they’re are some things you just need to remember e.g colours of transition elements etc
3. Focus on the things you really struggle with first/ find difficult to remember and don’t leave all your revision until the last minute. Start revising asap

Hope this helps, I really enjoyed chemistry a level and I hope you find this useful. Feel free to message me for anything else I didn’t want to go on for too long lol 😊

this is the best advise id like to add that you should do past papers from different specifications as well especially for the practicals for example edexcel ocr have a wider array of practical past papers which relate very well to the new specification
papers are key
learn how to format your answers for all type of questions. good luck
Reply 4
which board are you doing? I got an A* in OCR b salters for which I have some detailed notes and summary notes
Reply 5
Original post by Unknown1819
As the title suggests, I'm looking to get the higher grades at A-level but I'm really struggling (not putting in enough work)
At the start of Yr 12, I was predicted AAAA, but I'm finding it really difficult (Chemistry in particular)
Does anyone have any good revision notes/websites/ tips/past papers that they would be willing to share with me? I'm going into Yr 13 in September and I'm determined to get the highest possible grades.
Thanks in advance

What did you get at GCSE may I ask ?
Chemrevise.org
I obtained B at AS and got A at A-Level. My revision technique is slightly different to others.

Majority of people I know made notes to help memorise information properly. I did that the most at AS for Chemistry and for Chem specifically, it didn't help. So at A2, I did things differently. I only made notes on things that really needed it e.g. Organic Chemistry and then used the student notes I was given to learn the rest of Inorganic, Physical and Practical skills. Any notes I made was in flash card form and kept to bare minimum.

This allowed me more time to do a lot of exam practise, something which I struggled to do with excessive notes last year. I did lots of A-Level chemistry.com practise and unit tests and did them repeatedly for things I struggled on. I used the Mock exam papers on their websites too which was incredibly useful. I used Chemrevise for my practical skills notes and these are as comprehensive as they need to be for exams.

As someone who used to under-perform in chemistry exams, doing practise questions and past papers really helped buff up my grade and I think I could have done even better if I spent more time on practical skills. It really just takes a lot of time to develop exam technique and once you do, there really isn't a lot of things that can stop you!

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 8
Core science A
Additional Science A
Further additional B

Original post by Yn1602
What did you get at GCSE may I ask ?
Reply 9
Original post by Dat1Guy
which board are you doing? I got an A* in OCR b salters for which I have some detailed notes and summary notes

OCR A (2015 onwards spec)
I just got an A in chemistry at A level (Edexcel). I really struggled in both year 12 and year 13, getting Bs and Cs in all my class tests etc when I needed As. The best way I found to pull my grade up for end of year exams (instead of AS levels) and then the real thing was by doing past papers. I did TONS. However I found the best revision method was to do the paper then within the next week add it to my 'Bulletproof Booklet'. That is a word document containg a table with the column titles 'Past Pare' (so which one I'd just completed), 'Topic', 'Question', 'What I did wrong', 'Correct answer'. I filled in this table, adding rows as I went, for every single question I got wrong. 1 markers, multiple choice, 6 markers, diagrmas and equations. All of them. It highlighted the areas I was weakest, such as on particular types of questions I wouldn't use a particular key word or even wider areas I needed to go over the textbook again. Oh and before any tests a friend of a similar ability level and I woudl go through the topics we needed to know verbally. We skimmed through them and chatted about it so very informal but very quick so we got through a lot. Don't panic if you're not getting the grades you want in class, just persist with the work and every little bit of effort you put in, even 10 minutes thinking about the colours of flame tests, will help. Sorry I haven't put in any paragraphs, my enter key is broken!
To be honest, chemrevise notes was a large factor in me getting an A*. Lots of past papers as well.
Original post by alevelphysicist
To be honest, chemrevise notes was a large factor in me getting an A*. Lots of past papers as well.

love a bit of "you don't need to know this for current UK A level syllabus' "
Original post by Dat1Guy

Hi

I hope you are well I doing OCR A for Chemistry can you give tip I am a home’s student I need chemistry for uni that what YouTuber to watch and how to make notes.
Congrats on your A*! I'm currently doing ocr b chemistry and Im really struggling, i was wondering if you could share your notes perhaps- it would be extremely helpful!
Original post by Dat1Guy
Original post by Dat1Guy

Hey could you please send the notes to me? I'm doing OCR B as well and would massively appreciate them (:
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest