The Student Room Group

Should it be a criminal offence for teachers to fail to act on bullying?

Or at least incur civil liability?

Obviously you would need to set a high threshold, but the offence would be failing to act on a report of bullying or when witnessing an instance of bullying.

"Act" would be defined as taking reasonable steps to follow LEA guidance.

"Bullying" would be defined as threatening or abusive behaviour which is likely to cause the victim harassment, alarm or distress.
(edited 9 years ago)
If they let 1400 children be sexually abused, that should be though.
The thing is, they're happy for you to be mentally scarred as long as you don't hit them. The guy that plays Joffrey in Game of Thrones looks like someone who bullied me at school and although he's a calm cooler and likeable person in interviews of the actor I've seen, when he's in character it feels very intimidating. I guess that makes him a subjectively more effective character.

This has probably contributed to how I am nowadays, less likely to join groups of people, thinking people hate me etc.

**** you, school.
It should not be criminal, but it should civil.
Reply 4
Original post by DiddyDec

This.
Original post by DiddyDec

Why not?

Civil will hardly be a deterrent for teachers to turn a blind eye to bullying/not take it seriously enough. All it will mean is the school's insurers paying out.
Original post by Lady Comstock
Why not?

Civil will hardly be a deterrent for teachers to turn a blind eye to bullying/not take it seriously enough. All it will mean is the school's insurers paying out.

They shouldn't be criminally liable when there is so little they can actually do.

We need school reform and the ability to punish children before we can even start blaming teachers for not doing anything.

What can a teacher actually do to stop bullying or punish the children?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Lady Comstock
Why not?

Teachers have enough pressure on them to deal with already without the thread of criminal liability hanging over them if they fail to deal with bullying properly, which lets not forget is not something that is easily dealt with. There should a lot more guidance and pressure on teachers to make more of an effort to deal with bullying of course and needless to say we should not be still hearing about stories of schools seemingly ignoring it, but I don't think this idea is the way to go as its a very difficult area for teachers and just because a teacher doesn't act properly on a report of bullying, doesn't necessarily mean they don't care, they just simply might not know how to handle the situation effectively. So improved guidance and training on how to effectively deal with bullying and helping teachers, rather than looking to punish them would be a better approach I'd say.
Only if a murder/suicide happens. I feel the bully as well should be incarcerated or at least expelled.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending