The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by geokinkladze
blame the Electoral Reform Society... They were the main pressure group which lobbied for compulsory registration. Why? Well it's a means to an end. Their end is Proportional Registration and I guess they feel voluntary registration would damage that end.

One might say "How come Clegg didn't push for that to be in it in the 1st place, Proportional Rep's been Liberal policy for decades", there again, it wouldn't be very liberal to use force, and I seem to remember the whole reform got watered down by Cons soon after coalition started.
Original post by morgan8002
The problem is that it doesn't encourage young people to become politically active. They still won't let us vote, so there's no chance of increasing political activity. All sending threatening letters extorting people does is lead young people to hate the government.

im not talking about under 18's im talking about the 18-24's who have the lowest voting percentage of any other age group in society. i agree they should lower the voting age but thats another argument, in my opinion however you look at it theres always going to be a government. even in the extreme case the government was overthrown there would soon be another governing body formed. its against human nature to live in complete anarchy. so i think anyone that doesnt vote is pretty unintellegent because noting is going to change if people arent politically active
Original post by penfoldemily
im not talking about under 18's im talking about the 18-24's who have the lowest voting percentage of any other age group in society. i agree they should lower the voting age but thats another argument, in my opinion however you look at it theres always going to be a government. even in the extreme case the government was overthrown there would soon be another governing body formed. its against human nature to live in complete anarchy. so i think anyone that doesnt vote is pretty unintellegent because noting is going to change if people arent politically active

If you're going to insult the intelligence of all under 18s, at least learn how to spell unintelligent.
would appreciate it if you'd care to explain how I've insulted the intelligence of all under 18's as I'm under 18 myself. Lets be serious now i don't think spelling is a measure of overall intelligence now is it?

That's a bigger argument.. how to get the predominantly young to vote. I do think the Greens are pushing in this area but it is a tall order and I'm sure is completely exasperating for people of that age group who do vote. The paradox is that most political parties represent voters, if you don't vote you effectively ask to be ignored. Yet it seems this age group don't vote BECAUSE they are being ignored.

Maybe they need to let people do it via their phone.
would appreciate it if you'd care to explain how I've insulted the intelligence of all under 18's as I'm under 18 myself.

This:
i think anyone that doesnt vote is pretty unintellegent

Lets be serious now i don't think spelling is a measure of overall intelligence now is it?

It is a crude indicator of intelligence.
I assumed you were over 18. When you're declaring that a large subset of the population is less intelligent than you, you should try to feign intelligence.

As you are under 18 and hence a part of the group you were insulting, a much more compelling statement would be "ime unner ayeen an me thin alla peepl hoo dun voh iss stoopid".
im not talking about under 18's im talking about the 18-24's who have the lowest voting percentage of any other age group in society...... so i think anyone that doesnt vote is pretty unintellegent because noting is going to change if people arent politically active

Original post by morgan8002
If you're going to insult the intelligence of all under 18s, at least learn how to spell unintelligent.

@Morgan8002 Are you intelligent enough to understand what context means? It is pretty obvious @penfoldemily believes people who refuse to vote are unintelligent. That is the context in which this was said.
Reply 47
I'm 17 and I won't even be old enough to vote in the May election and I got sent three letters saying I would get fined £80 if I didn't register. I got a letter sent to my house telling me that I am now registered but I am still no eligible? I could have told them that! And now I'm getting campaign letters and emails from everyone in my area about voting this May and I can't even vote!
Original post by JJEH
I'm 17 and I won't even be old enough to vote in the May election and I got sent three letters saying I would get fined £80 if I didn't register. I got a letter sent to my house telling me that I am now registered but I am still no eligible? I could have told them that! And now I'm getting campaign letters and emails from everyone in my area about voting this May and I can't even vote!

Contact your local council's electoral services. I sent an email to them about something and got a response within a couple of hours, so they shouldn't take long to respond to you. They'll retract all the fine notices and anything else you received when they realise you're 17.
I havent registered to vote for the past 30 years, plenty of threats, never any action taken against me....
Original post by balotelli12
Utter rubbish!
If you don't vote, don't complain about any aspect of Life.

Are you aware of how much of an immense **** you are?
Reply 51
I just got one of these idiots at my door. Its not about the right to vote or census. Its about forcing people to do jury duty.
I don't like people and they scare tactics about voting it is my right not to vote or where I want to live and not have all my personal details on endless machines in don't care about who died to vote or about the Bnp lot's voters, don't tell me how to live or what to do with my life or insult or threaten me to do so it's my choice you lot are bullies. Leave click music alone if he doesn't want to be on it he doesn't have to over 20million of you registered who still don't vote so leave him be
Original post by cgimusic
I decided to register to vote in the MEP elections last year as well as the local elections. This turned out to be a massive mistake as when I returned to my student house this year I have a letter threatening me with an £80 fine if I don't reregister by July! Obviously July is long gone and after this crap I don't really want to stay registered to vote any more and I certainly don't want to give up more personal information to make it easier to fine me in future for other things. Do I just ignore the letter and tell them to piss off if they try and fine me? Is there a way to opt-out of voter registration?

bruv jus dnt vote u pleb
Original post by barnetlad
People died for the right to vote and continue to be persecuted in parts of the world today. So would you like to be represented by some UKIP person or the BNP? You can be sure their supporters register.All that it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.

Oh totally. I mean who doesn't want to choose between identical parties that will do exactly the opposite of what everyone wants?Certainly not me. I'm a good little drone.

Now should I pick the party who will cut funding to schools and hospitals or the party who will cut funding to schools and hospitals OR the slightly more racist party that will cut funding to schools and hospitals? Hm, which color looks nicer?

Thank goodness people died for this right. I mean we wouldn't have any meaningful choice in how our governments run otherwise, would we? I bet if they were alive today they would just be beaming at what their sacrifice has led to and nodding in complete agreement to your lecture.
Please, tell us more how UKIP will form the seeds of the next third reich when they can't even get cigarettes unbanned from pubs. -.-
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey guys, I just got the letter through my door today asking for a vote and if I do not vote I may be fined. To be that is absolutely disgraceful purely due to the fact that we are practically being forced to make a choice whether we do or not want to. Voting can make a change I'm not saying don't do it, but what I have came to realize is that no matter who you vote for nothing changes, the world is still going to have it's issues and war is still going to continue. The governments and corporations related to the gov have gone out of control and personally I think they're screwing the whole planet up. Voting should be a free choice without a fine being involved, the way I see it is this whole situation is just a form of control. (Voting should be a personal choice, if you don't want to then we shouldn't have to.) <-- That is my opinion on it anyway :smile: I just don't want to be getting fined for not taking part with something that they have threw through my letter box...
Since most of you getting this letter vote for big government, why you so mad?
Original post by barnetlad
People died for the right to vote and continue to be persecuted in parts of the world today. So would you like to be represented by some UKIP person or the BNP? You can be sure their supporters register.

All that it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.

Why link UKIP with the BNP? The BNP are left / centre, UKIP right. The BNP are authoritarian and UKIP Libertarian.
I'm in the same boat, got letter but forgot about it completely and today found note that the guy was present but no one was at home and that he will come back.. The reason I don't like voting is that parties just throw promises that rarely become a reality :erm:
Original post by ForgetMe
I'm in the same boat, got letter but forgot about it completely and today found note that the guy was present but no one was at home and that he will come back.. The reason I don't like voting is that parties just throw promises that rarely become a reality :erm:

The canvasser usually has a few goes afaik
-
being on the roll doesn't make it compulsory to vote - you can abstain from voting or turn up and draw cock 'n' balls all over the ballot paper for all anyone would care :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending