The Student Room Group

Pls reply gcse result

Hi so i got 7As and 2Bs in GCSEs and im aware it isnt a good result at all I was expecting more but nevertheless please recommend me unis that will actually accept me with this result i have to start sending applications
Original post by vampirefey
Hi so i got 7As and 2Bs in GCSEs and im aware it isnt a good result at all I was expecting more but nevertheless please recommend me unis that will actually accept me with this result i have to start sending applications

You've said "please recommend me unis that will actually accept me". Do you really mean "unis"?

Universities don't accept applicants based upon their GCSE results (although they do tend to expect a minimum standard in GCSE Maths and English Language). Instead, that accept applicants based upon their level 3 qualifications. Those would be A levels, the International Baccalaureate, Level 3 BTECs, T-Levels, etc. etc. No university will accept you based upon your GCSE grades alone. (And, by the way, those GCSE results are very good.)

Do you have any level 3 qualifications (you can see a full list here). If so, what are they, and what course were you hoping to study at university? If you don't have any level 3 qualifications, then you'll need to start studying some before applying to university. You can do so at many schools and colleges.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You've said "please recommend me unis that will actually accept me". Do you really mean "unis"?

Universities don't accept applicants based upon their GCSE results (although they do tend to expect a minimum standard in GCSE Maths and English Language). Instead, that accept applicants based upon their level 3 qualifications. Those would be A levels, the International Baccalaureate, Level 3 BTECs, T-Levels, etc. etc. No university will accept you based upon your GCSE grades alone. (And, by the way, those GCSE results are very good.)

Do you have any level 3 qualifications (you can see a full list here). If so, what are they, and what course were you hoping to study at university? If you don't have any level 3 qualifications, then you'll need to start studying some before applying to university. You can do so at many schools and colleges.

Hi yep i'm in my a levels right now. I'm applying early and my school counselor told me they look a great deal into your GCSE grades so and told me I might not make into a Russell group uni, even though my predicted grades are good enough (A*AAB), as competition's high and my predicted grades might change subject to the exam. So basically she laid out great emphasis on my GCSE result saying it's not good enough and i'm scared.
Hi yep i'm in my a levels right now. I'm applying early and my school counselor told me they look a great deal into your GCSE grades so and told me I might not make into a Russell group uni, even though my predicted grades are good enough (A*AAB), as competition's high and my predicted grades might change subject to the exam. So basically she laid out great emphasis on my GCSE result saying it's not good enough and i'm scared.

OK, well first let's get the Russell Group thing out of the way first. It's a vehicle used to help member universities market themselves. It is not a guarantee of quality, and many excellent universities are not members. The university which currently tops both The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2024 and the Guardian University Guide 2024 is not a member of the Russell Group. Of the top 10 universities according to the Complete University Guide's University League Tables 2024, four are not Russell Group. It's absolutely fine to target top universities which have high grade requirements, but please don't focus exclusively on the Russell Group.

Some top universities (e.g. Oxford) place a lot of emphasis on GCSE grades, but even then their importance will vary depending upon the course for which you're applying. Others place less importance on them. For example, Bristol rank applicants based upon a combination of their GCSE grades and their A level grades (actual or predicted) - normally in a 20:80 ratio (this can vary depending on the course). This means that for Bristol, for example, A level grades are four times as important as GCSE grades.

I think your school counselor is placing more emphasis on your GCSE grades than the top universities themselves do, and has scared you unnecessarily. Set their concerns to one side. What subject to you want to study at university? Once you've decided that, take a look at some of the courses offered by different universities and see which seem of interest to you. Check their entry requirements (which will cover both A level and GCSE grades) on their web sites. If you're still concerned, then return to this thread with some specifics (i.e. course X at university Y) and people will be in a much better position to guide you.

(By the way, you school counselor is talking utter nonsense when they say that you "might not make into a Russell group uni" with those GCSE grades and your predicted A level grades. You might not, but it won't be because of those grades.)
Reply 4
thank you soso much i looked at the requirements for some of the universities and i feel a tab bit better. Also can I please ask you more questions if i have any? And again thanks alot for the vote of confidence!!

Original post by DataVenia
OK, well first let's get the Russell Group thing out of the way first. It's a vehicle used to help member universities market themselves. It is not a guarantee of quality, and many excellent universities are not members. The university which currently tops both The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2024 and the Guardian University Guide 2024 is not a member of the Russell Group. Of the top 10 universities according to the Complete University Guide's University League Tables 2024, four are not Russell Group. It's absolutely fine to target top universities which have high grade requirements, but please don't focus exclusively on the Russell Group.

Some top universities (e.g. Oxford) place a lot of emphasis on GCSE grades, but even then their importance will vary depending upon the course for which you're applying. Others place less importance on them. For example, Bristol rank applicants based upon a combination of their GCSE grades and their A level grades (actual or predicted) - normally in a 20:80 ratio (this can vary depending on the course). This means that for Bristol, for example, A level grades are four times as important as GCSE grades.

I think your school counselor is placing more emphasis on your GCSE grades than the top universities themselves do, and has scared you unnecessarily. Set their concerns to one side. What subject to you want to study at university? Once you've decided that, take a look at some of the courses offered by different universities and see which seem of interest to you. Check their entry requirements (which will cover both A level and GCSE grades) on their web sites. If you're still concerned, then return to this thread with some specifics (i.e. course X at university Y) and people will be in a much better position to guide you.

(By the way, you school counselor is talking utter nonsense when they say that you "might not make into a Russell group uni" with those GCSE grades and your predicted A level grades. You might not, but it won't be because of those grades.)
thank you soso much i looked at the requirements for some of the universities and i feel a tab bit better. Also can I please ask you more questions if i have any? And again thanks alot for the vote of confidence!!

Of course you can. You can ask on this thread, and I'll see them. Or you can create a new thread for a new question. If you tag me (with @DataVenia) I'll see those too.

(It's always best to ask questions in public, rather than via PM, as it means others can answer too - and it means that others can see all those answers and benefit from the same advice).

Quick Reply

Latest