This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Sick of seeing cyclists on pavements

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Skip_Snip
I thought it was for flying bicycles.

E.T. springs to mind... XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think cyclists should cycle on the pavement unless cruising at walking pace. Equally though pedestrians should be more aware of cyclists. I've had to slam on my brakes and swerve to avoid people crossing the road because they assume the fact I'm not a car means I don't have the right of way or something. What they don't seem to realise is being hit by me full speed on my bike doesn't exactly give great chances of survival.
All these Sky Ride events are doing my head in.
Original post by queensboy
Roads were designed for cars.

If you have ever driven a manual car, you will realise how much of a pain cyclists are.

No they weren't. Roads have been around much longer than cars.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Philip_Philtrum
I cycle on the roads...but pedestrians flap way too much on a pavement when a cyclist is coming...they jump side to side in a panic. Just carry on walking normal and maybe let the person on the bike who can easily weave round you do the weaving.

I do my best to get in the way of any cyclist illegally on the pavement.
Original post by Mackay
It just winds me up. One of my bug bears.

"I turn around 4 dead cyclists, all my responsibility"

Denholm Renholm IT Crowd
I'd rather cause a very very small inconvenience to some pedestrian than end up with my scrote up the nearest tree and my head lodged into someone's window screen.

I can understand in massive cities but otherwise cyclists have just as much as a right as you unless the road is clear.
Original post by ThatNorthernLad
I'd rather cause a very very small inconvenience to some pedestrian than end up with my scrote up the nearest tree and my head lodged into someone's window screen.

I can understand in massive cities but otherwise cyclists have just as much as a right as you unless the road is clear.

Are you kidding? It's ILLEGAL to ride a bike on the pavement. They have absolutely no right to ride on the pavement.
Original post by queensboy
Why judge my driving skills from my opinion of cyclists?

We're not, we're judging your skill from your post about how you find it difficult to drive a manual and pay attention to the road around you, how you consistently fail to understand the concept of safe overtaking and how you seem to place a few seconds of your time above the health of other road users.
Original post by falling
I'm the opposite- I HATE seeing cyclists on the road. A few years ago there were major roadworks in my area and huge interference and delays to build a cycle path the whole way from where I live to the town (5 miles or so) and cyclists literally cycle on the road when there's a specific cycle path RIGHT NEXT TO THEM.

As far as I know this is totally legal? Also often sensible given the quality of UK cycle paths. Is it really any different from a car choosing to scream down a nice quiet country lane when it would be more pleasant for others if it stayed on the adjacent motorway?

Cyclists have every right to be on the road as long as it's not a motorway and should be treated with due respect. Worth remembering it's somebody's son, daughter, husband, cousin, friend, mum, dad.... Prejudice is one thing...the worry if it makes you put their lives at risk/
So I went on a bike-riding journey yesterday - I was so tired that I rode slower than a jogger at one stage, and that really irritated some drivers. But I had no choice but to keep cycling because home was the only place I could store my bike safely. I guess from now on I can only cycle towards the nearest railway station and back
I agree, I have no problem with cyclists being on the pavement where there is a designated cycle path or where the road is dangerous and the pavement is sufficiently empty but if they are on the pavement they should be cycling cautiously and not just expecting people to move, both for their own sake (cars pulling out of drives etc) and for the pedestrians... that said, where there is a cycle path and pedestrians think it's their god given right to meander all over the bloody place makes me really angry, if I have to pass someone I will alert them early and be right over at the side so please stop being so selfish and move your bratty little child over to the other side and keep them there

I really don't think roads in general are as dangerous as a lot of people like to claim if you cycle sensibly but pavements are dangerous and as much as you think people should just move there will be children/dogs on the pavement who do not have the awareness to stay out of the way
Original post by Lady Comstock
Unless the road is particularly dangerous at that time, there is no excuse. I am sick of near misses when cyclists roll down busy pavements at speeds.

It's a criminal offence but the police never seem to enforce it.

Considering how incompetent 90% of drivers are lately, I completley refuse to ride on the road, I'd much rather knock someone over, Possibly breaking a leg(Big woop) Than getting squashed under some dickheads car thanks. Stop whining.
Urgghhh, last week I was walking my bike along the pavement on a one way street (as the traffic right of way was against me), and I had this rude old lady tell me off. I politely tried to squeeze past her, and she said "You shouldn't be on the pavement anyway!"

Hmm, I'll walk/ cycle in the middle of the road for you then shall I? I nearly had a go at her!
Original post by Phipp91
Urgghhh, last week I was walking my bike along the pavement on a one way street (as the traffic right of way was against me), and I had this rude old lady tell me off. I politely tried to squeeze past her, and she said "You shouldn't be on the pavement anyway!"

Hmm, I'll walk/ cycle in the middle of the road for you then shall I? I nearly had a go at her!

Had a similar problem... Some people just don't appreciate others making an effort at all :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does London really need that many cars?
Some places with even the best public transport systems appear to be full of cars. Simply because owning a car is a way of saying "I'm rich"
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Lol it's not a big deal. Pedestrians can easily move

In my experience cyclists are pillocks that can't operate a bell. The first us pedestrians usually know about them is either the rush of air as they brush past us, or the handle bar in our ass.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could not agree less. its far safer for everyone that cyclists stick to the pavements than go on the road and get in the way of the traffic.
Original post by cole-slaw
Could not agree less. its far safer for everyone that cyclists stick to the pavements than go on the road and get in the way of the traffic.

No it's not. Is it safe to have me cycling 20mph+ with people walking out of shops in to my path? Pedestrians need protecting from cyclists, just as much cyclists need protecting from cars.

Do not confuse danger with your inability to wait 2 seconds.

Latest

Trending

Trending