The Student Room Group

A2 Chemistry (Electorchemical Cell"

In an electrochemical cell what is the purpose of the salt bridge.
I know the definition by heart,"to complete the circuit and allow movement of ions", but I don't understand why ions need to move from one half cell to another when all that's needed for reduction and oxidation to occur is the movement of electrons which is already dealt with by an external circuit.
I'm so confused someone please clarify
Original post by Lone Vindicator
In an electrochemical cell what is the purpose of the salt bridge.
I know the definition by heart,"to complete the circuit and allow movement of ions", but I don't understand why ions need to move from one half cell to another when all that's needed for reduction and oxidation to occur is the movement of electrons which is already dealt with by an external circuit.
I'm so confused someone please clarify

Moving this to the chemistry section for you :h:
oh....hadn't noticed it was in the wrong section....you know,first post and all
oh....hadn't noticed it was in the wrong section....you know,first post and all

Don't worry about it :smile: it wasn't necessarily in the wrong section as such, but you'll generally get a better/quicker answer in this specific section :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Just the external circuit doesn't mean the circuit is closed.

Take two beakers, put some chemicals in each, put a copper wire into both solutions. You don't have a closed circuit - closed circuit means a loop, there is no loop yet.
So what is the purpose of the salt bridge if it has no function in completing the circuit
So what is the purpose of the salt bridge if it has no function in completing the circuit

The salt bridge completes the circuit and prevents build up of charge in either half-cell by allowing ions to flow from one side to the other.
Reply 7

It does. Please try to draw a system and see where does the current flow. Single wire is half of the loop only, salt bridge is the other half.
The salt bridge does complete the circuit and allows the current to flow, but it also maintains the concentration of the solution by replenishing or taking out excess concentration (cant think of the right word there haha sorry)

Quick Reply

Latest