The Student Room Group

Mnemonics for AS/A2 level biology!

Mnemonics really help some people (myself included) remember biological principles... So I thought we could have a thread to share yours, and maybe find some new ones that you like!
So heres mine (Very random, but work for me :smile: )

Learning which side of the heart the bicuspid and bicuspid valve are on- LAB RAT

Left
Atrium
Bicuspid

Right
Atrium
Tricuspid

I'm going to check my notes and add some more, if you have any other silly ways of remembering things pleaseee share :smile:
Reply 1
How we used to remember the levels of biological classification:
Keep - Kingdom
Penis - Phylum
Clean - Class
Or - Order
Face - Family
Getting - Genus
Syphilis - Species

then there were things like 'Pairs and Poles, Middle, Away, Two' for the stages of mitosis, which I still find useful even at degree level.
I had loads of these, most of them obscene (helped me remember :colone:)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Philbert
Keep - Kingdom
Penis -Phylum
Clean - Class
Or - Order
Face - Family
Getting - Genus
Syphilis - Species

then there were things like 'Pairs and Poles, Middle, Away, Two' for the stages of mitosis, which I still find useful even at degree level.

Kermit's
Penis
Can
Open
Fanny
GREAT
SUCCESS (:borat:)
Reply 3
Original post by Philbert
Keep - Kingdom
Penis - Phylum
Clean - Class
Or - Order
Face - Family
Getting - Genus
Syphilis - Species

Woo we had King Phil Couldn't Order Family Guy Special.... But yours is much better!
(edited 13 years ago)
Oh, we had Keep Ponds Clean Or Frogs Get Sick, it seems so boring compared to all yours haha.
Reply 5
Bones
The Tarsals can be Twisted but the Carpals hold the Cup
Reply 6
Is there a mnemonic for remmbering glycogen and glucagon? Really important to get those right for marks.
Guysss help me with remembering meiosis with the actual processes. IPMAT works but how to remember each process with the stage??
Also, for respiration stages. A mnemonic would be brilliant.
Original post by Duckdrake
Is there a mnemonic for remmbering glycogen and glucagon? Really important to get those right for marks.

When your GLUCOSE is GONE, your pancreas produces GLUCA-GONE!
Reply 9
Are you saying blood passes the Bicuspid Valve first and Tricuspid last?? because that'd be wrong. So i dont get this??

Learning which side of the heart the bicuspid and bicuspid valve are on- LAB RAT

Left
Atrium
Bicuspid

Right
Atrium
Tricuspid

I'm going to check my notes and add some more, if you have any other silly ways of remembering things pleaseee share :smile:
Reply 10
we had
King
Phillip
Comes
Over
For
Group
Sex
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
For remembering which cells in the Islets of Langerhans produce Insulin or Glucagon just remember, glucAgon AlphA cells then the beta cells must produce insulin
Original post by justanotherslave
Guysss help me with remembering meiosis with the actual processes. IPMAT works but how to remember each process with the stage??
Also, for respiration stages. A mnemonic would be brilliant.
Reply 12
I peed myself at Tesco
Stages of mitosis
I - interphase
P - prophase
M - metaphase
A - anaphase
T - telophase
use this [ I Picked My Apple Today ]
Original post by emilylikeeee
Mnemonics really help some people (myself included) remember biological principles... So I thought we could have a thread to share yours, and maybe find some new ones that you like!
So heres mine (Very random, but work for me :smile: )
Left
Atrium
Bicuspid
Right
Atrium
Tricuspid

Did - domain
Katy - kingdom
Perry- phylum
Come- class
Over-order
For- family
Garlic - genus
Sauce - species
Original post by Shasm
I peed myself at Tesco
Stages of mitosis
I - interphase
P - prophase
M - metaphase
A - anaphase
T - telophase

i remember that one as the B-mat exam but the P-mat for mitosis and ig i just add on the i at the start

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending