The Student Room Group

American's like big but British like small?

I can't speak for the rest of Europe but from my time in Canada/USA and the UK, I noticed that British people want to be thinner while US people want to be larger. There is a disgusting trend in the UK to be thin both for men and women. There is some line of fashion, I don't know what it's called, which makes men in skinny jeans and that preppy look attractive. I think it looks terrible. Uggghhh....Yuck. It is like these thin guys are being controlled by their mum as they appear very weak
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I always thought it was the American stereotypes that pushed slimness as the standard for beauty.
Reply 2
Original post by RayApparently
I always thought it was the American stereotypes that pushed slimness as the standard for beauty.

I think it is Europe.

US people don't dress like European people. Their clothes are loser and less fitting. More casual looking. European clothes are more revealing both for men and women.
Really? Most guys here have a complex about wanting to get "massive " and spend ages in the gym. I don't think many guys strive to be thin. Women do but I'd assume that's the same in the US as well.
Reply 4
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Really? Most guys here have a complex about wanting to get "massive " and spend ages in the gym. I don't think many guys strive to be thin. Women do but I'd assume that's the same in the US as well.

I know but there are definitely subtle differences between us. I'm thinking of a burly American with a long beard, baseball cap and shorts. He's probably called 'Bill' and owns a shotgun and watches monster truck TV shows. Then I think of a tall and slim British guy who dresses in a preppy style. He has wavy hair fair and a 'posh' British accent! He looks like a 'mummy's boy' and is a pseudo-intellectual who scorns at anyone who is slightly overweight.
Normal American citizens have no style what so ever though.. they either look sloppy or like they've been attacked by a rainbow. No co-ordination whatsoever. For women, I think both want to be skinny. Men, I would agree and say that British guys are more inclined to be slimmer than American men. I wouldn't say that men strive to be 'slim,' its just the norm here.
Reply 6
Original post by SophiaLDN
Normal American citizens have no style what so ever though.. they either look sloppy or like they've been attacked by a rainbow. No co-ordination whatsoever. For women, I think both want to be skinny. Men, I would agree and say that British guys are more inclined to be slimmer than American men. I wouldn't say that men strive to be 'slim,' its just the norm here.

Absolutely this. Every time I look at American street "fashion", I want to cry. It's so bland!

Plus, the clothing lines making skinny jeans that come to mind are Abercrombie and Fitch, and Hollister. American chains. Plus, Americans you see may tend to be larger because all their food items have about 300% more sugar in it than their English counterparts. No one actually wants to be fat :lol:
Reply 7
Original post by Another
Absolutely this. Every time I look at American street "fashion", I want to cry. It's so bland!

Plus, the clothing lines making skinny jeans that come to mind are Abercrombie and Fitch, and Hollister. American chains. Plus, Americans you see may tend to be larger because all their food items have about 300% more sugar in it than their English counterparts. No one actually wants to be fat :lol:

There is a US supermarket called Walmart which is like a British supermarket except you can buy in 'bulk' which means that items like milk and cheese are a lot bigger than they are here. I think this is because America is bigger and if you live 100 miles away from the supermarket, you want to make as few trips to it as possible to save time and gas prices. So, you'll buy food that'll last for a month? :confused:
Oh looks it's Stephen H again.
Original post by Stephen H
I can't speak for the rest of Europe but from my time in Canada/USA and the UK, I noticed that British people want to be thinner while US people want to be larger. There is a disgusting trend in the UK to be thin both for men and women. There is some line of fashion, I don't know what it's called, which makes men in skinny jeans and that preppy look attractive. I think it looks terrible. Uggghhh....Yuck. It is like these thin guys are being controlled by their mum as they appear very weak and homosexual looking???

How is wanting to be thin disgusting? If someone wants to be thin it's their choice, their body, not yours. What someone wants to look like doesn't concern you as it's none if your business. I hate how people nowadays think everyone should look like their own personal standard of ok.

Also thin guys are hot imo
There is a US supermarket called Walmart which is like a British supermarket except you can buy in 'bulk' which means that items like milk and cheese are a lot bigger than they are here. I think this is because America is bigger and if you live 100 miles away from the supermarket, you want to make as few trips to it as possible to save time and gas prices. So, you'll buy food that'll last for a month? :confused:

Walmart is everywhere in the US, I find it very unlikely that they would be 100 miles away from one, and the items arent generally that much bigger. They just have different sizes. Eg I went to walmart, and they had normal "snack" size bags of m&m's but also 42oz ones etc.

And I wouldn't say Americans want to be big but their culture means a lot of things are, for example their meal sizes are like 4 times the size of ours so they're likely to put on weight XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's totally possible. I've only been to major cities where there's a supermarket round every corner, but in the more rural states this could be true.

Also Americans have bigger houses, and bigger friges/freezers where bulk buying in that sort of amount is actually viable. That being said, gas prices are ridiculously low, driving along massive straight roads in an automatic car is pretty easily done, and the prices aren't that much cheaper than what you find in the UK. But snacks like sweets and chocolates are definately cheaper, for a fact :lol:
I can't speak for the rest of Europe but from my time in Canada/USA and the UK, I noticed that British people want to be thinner while US people want to be larger. There is a disgusting trend in the UK to be thin both for men and women. There is some line of fashion, I don't know what it's called, which makes men in skinny jeans and that preppy look attractive. I think it looks terrible. Uggghhh....Yuck. It is like these thin guys are being controlled by their mum as they appear very weak and homosexual looking???

And wanting to be larger isn't just as disgusting?! :rolleyes:
American women want to be large?

:lolwut:

That's a new one.
Reply 14
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
And wanting to be larger isn't just as disgusting?! :rolleyes:

Both are disgusting. Average is best.

Largeness is visible everywhere in the US. Roads, houses and cities are generally bigger and longer. Landscapes are homogeneous. In the UK, scenery changes every mile or so you drive which is different to the US where there is little change over vast distances.

This is polarized to the UK landscape where there are smaller houses, roads, cars, fields and forests. So, a lot of people want to be small and thin because what they see is small and thin!
Largeness is visible everywhere in the US. Roads, houses and cities are generally bigger and longer. Landscapes are homogeneous. In the UK, scenery changes every mile or so you drive which is different to the US where there is little change over vast distances.

This is polarized to the UK landscape where there are smaller houses, roads, cars, fields and forests. So, a lot of people want to be small and thin because what they see is small and thin!

This line of reasoning makes absolutely no sense.
Reply 16
Original post by Viceroy
This line of reasoning makes absolutely no sense.

Why not?
Why not?

You're saying that the US is a big country and therefore the people are big, and the UK is a small country and therefore the people are thin? How does that make sense? What, do people have to be small to fit into the UK or something? What if they move to the US, then do they automatically get fat to fit into the big spaces? It's a load of waffle, really.

There are thin and fat people in every country, it doesn't matter what its area is.
Reply 18
Original post by Viceroy
You're saying that the US is a big country and therefore the people are big, and the UK is a small country and therefore the people are thin? How does that make sense? What, do people have to be small to fit into the UK or something? What if they move to the US, then do they automatically get fat to fit into the big spaces? It's a load of waffle, really.

There are thin and fat people in every country, it doesn't matter what its area is.

Of course I know that but maybe people adapt to their environment by changing their appearance? If you were born in a country where everything is small then you will think in smaller terms than someone who was born in a country where everything is big. If I lived in a small house, I would want to be smaller so that my house appeared bigger. Maybe over centuries this is instilled in people without them even knowing it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Of course I know that but maybe people adapt to their environment by changing their appearance? If you were born in a country where everything is small then you will think in smaller terms than someone who was born in a country where everything is big. If I lived in a small house, I would want to be smaller so that my house appeared bigger.

Erm, I think that's just you, mate...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending