The Student Room Group

Women CONSISTENTLY Earn More Than Men.

Scroll to see replies

I'd pay a premium for a pair of boobs to stare at too.

Sorry not sorry.
Original post by Chlorophile
And where is this empirical wage data?

This is US data, so I hope it counts in your eyes.

This is a report prepared for the US Department of Labor detailing how 65.1 - 76.4% of the raw wage gap is due to differences in hours worked, experience held and employment options taken (reducing the 'unexplained' gap to 4.8 to 7.1%): http://www.consad.com/content/report...l%20Report.pdf

This report: http://www.bls.gov/cps/cpswom2012.pdf by the US Bureau of Labour Statistics breaks down wages by hours worked, marital status, race, etc. In table 1 it can be seen that women who were never married earn a median weekly wage of only a few dollars less than the average for both sexes unmarried (unmarried males only earn a few dollars more per week here). Also, female part-timers earned a higher median weekly salary than their male counterparts. Full time female workers (40 hours per week) earned 88% of the male wage, but males worked more hours per week overall in this category (table 5).

As it can be seen, when things are broken down into more comparable categories, differences between male and female wages can become very small (and we start to see what's skewing the lumped averages). This is why it's problematic to talk about the wage gap without considering hours worked, marital status, and so on; not just profession.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dandaman1
This is US data, so I hope it counts in your eyes.

This is a report prepared for the US Department of Labor detailing how 65.1 - 76.4% of the raw wage gap is due to differences in hours worked, experience held and employment options taken (reducing the 'unexplained' gap to 4.8 to 7.1%): http://www.consad.com/content/report...l%20Report.pdf

This report: http://www.bls.gov/cps/cpswom2012.pdf by the US Bureau of Labour Statistics breaks down wages by hours worked, marital status, race, etc. In table 1 it can be seen that women who were never married earn a median weekly wage of only a few dollars less than the average for both sexes (full time and part time combined). Also, female part-timers earned a higher median weekly salary than their male counterparts. Full time female workers (40 hours per week) earned 88% of the male wage, but males worked more hours per week overall in this category (table 5).

As it can be seen, when things are broken down into more comparable categories, differences between male and female wages can become very small (and we start to see what's skewing the lumped averages). This is why it's problematic to talk about the wage gap without considering hours worked, marital status, and so on; not just profession.

I will admit that the gap is smaller than I thought. However, again, you're cherry-picking points to support your argument. The statistics speak for themselves and I'm not going to deny what you say. The table shows that women working fewer than 35 hours a week earn more than men, but the difference is absolutely tiny (4$/week). For people working over 35 hours, men earn considerably more than women (74$/week). And again, scrolling down the entire list comparing mean wages between jobs, I counted maybe 10 careers out of the hundreds that must have been on that list where women earned as much as men. Again, I will admit that I was surprised by how close some careers were, but the general situation is still that men are earning more than women for the same profession. And that list is about full-time workers only, so you can't blame it on women working part-time.

Also, your first link doesn't appear to be working.
Original post by Bill_Gates
I'd pay a premium for a pair of boobs to stare at too.

Sorry not sorry.

You're just making your own gender look bad mate.

Ahh don't we just love how the presentation of statistics is so easily twisted to meet people's agenda.

There's no breakdown of type of jobs there, it just encompasses every single job available. So could just as well be a reflection of the differences in types of part-time careers favoured by each gender. Women are more likely to choose part time employment in higher paid careers than men,

Until we see a side by side comparison with type of industry, contract hours and salary, your statistics mean **** all.

I'm sure you're being obtuse, to look at such vague statistics and to think 'herpy derpy women must get paid more than men in the exact same part time jobs!'. But something tells me this stupidity isn't deliberate, oh dear.
Original post by TolerantBeing

Ahh don't we just love how the presentation of statistics is so easily twisted to meet people's agenda.

There's no breakdown of type of jobs there, it just encompasses every single job available. So could just as well be a reflection of the differences in types of part-time careers favoured by each gender. Women are more likely to choose part time employment in higher paid careers than men,

Until we see a side by side comparison with type of industry, contract hours and salary, your statistics mean **** all.

I'm sure you're being obtuse, to look at such vague statistics and to think 'herpy derpy women must get paid more than men in the exact same part time jobs!'. But something tells me this stupidity isn't deliberate, oh dear.

arguably its the truth. Big breasted women get on in life. :wink:
I will admit that the gap is smaller than I thought. However, again, you're cherry-picking points to support your argument. The statistics speak for themselves and I'm not going to deny what you say. The table shows that women working fewer than 35 hours a week earn more than men, but the difference is absolutely tiny (4$/week). For people working over 35 hours, men earn considerably more than women (74$/week). And again, scrolling down the entire list comparing mean wages between jobs, I counted maybe 10 careers out of the hundreds that must have been on that list where women earned as much as men. Again, I will admit that I was surprised by how close some careers were, but the general situation is still that men are earning more than women for the same profession. And that list is about full-time workers only, so you can't blame it on women working part-time.

Also, your first link doesn't appear to be working.

While there are differences between job types, notice hours worked and years of experience are not given. Therefore we cannot assume men are being paid more due to wage discrimination. Too much information is missing. I should also reiterate my point that, not only is it illegal to pay women less for equal work, and will put firms at high risk of lawsuits (ever pervasive workers unions forbid it, too), but it makes no sense economically, either.

Going back to the statistics, again, marriage is a big factor (with little difference in wages at all when comparing unmarried working women to men), and even when comparing all men and women in similar full-time working hour categories, the difference typically doesn't exceed 10-15% overall (or 12% on average - a far cry from the commonly recited 23%) - and this includes married women, remember. Work experience and leaves of absence aren't even factored in here, and we know women take more time off work in their lifetimes (particularly married women).

I 'cherry picked' these statistics because they can generally be applied to the whole work force and are themselves very important when considering the bigger picture.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Octohedral
Your graph doesn't take into account the amount of total work that is each number of hours (which you yourself have said is only 33% for under 40 hours). It makes it look like women get paid massively more, because the under 40% part is over-represented. Even ignoring this, the reasons for your observation are most likely:

1. Women are more likely to do high paying jobs part time (eg. doctors), due to childcare.
2. Women are more likely to do jobs that often take part time workers (e.g. being a secretary).

Neither of these translate into discrimination against men.

You can select statistics to back up virtually any argument on Earth.
Yes you should ignore the first part of the argument because 33% is a HUGE proportion of the job market.... and in that HUGE proportion women are out earning men on an average. The wage gap NEEDS to be closed no matter which gender is the winner and you need to understand that. Women can't complain about everything, get positive discrimination and then give nothing in return.

Claims 1 and 2 are baseless and thus nothing more than a bunch or rumours.

EDIT: forgot to add, the bolded part is false too.
(edited 9 years ago)

If a whole gender can look "bad" to you because of the actions of a single man, then you're an idiot.
Original post by SuperDuperNoob
Yes you should ignore the first part of the argument because 33% is a HUGE proportion of the job market.... and in that HUGE proportion women are out earning men on an average. The wage gap NEEDS to be closed no matter which gender is the winner and you need to understand that. Women can't complain about everything, get positive discrimination and then give nothing in return.

Claims 1 and 2 are baseless and thus nothing more than a bunch or rumours.

'Women' aren't a homogeneous entity. As a matter of course, I do not complain, and I have never asked for positive discrimination, so I reserve the right to make any argument.

The first part simply says the graph is not proportionally representative. Large proportion it may be, but the graph makes it look like 50%+.

Men lead in 67% of jobs. Of course the wage gap needs closing in both instances - I was reacting to the OP's massive line 'stop discrimination against men', and the (completely incorrect) title 'Women consistently earn more than men'.

My suggestions were speculative, as is the inference the cause is discrimination against men.

I have every sympathy for closing gender gaps wherever they may be. However, I have very little sympathy for the original post.
Original post by Octohedral
'Women' aren't a homogeneous entity. As a matter of course, I do not complain, and I have never asked for positive discrimination, so I reserve the right to make any argument.

The first part simply says the graph is not proportionally representative. Large proportion it may be, but the graph makes it look like 50%+.

Men lead in 67% of jobs. Of course the wage gap needs closing in both instances - I was reacting to the OP's massive line 'stop discrimination against men', and the (completely incorrect) title 'Women consistently earn more than men'.

My suggestions were speculative, as is the inference the cause is discrimination against men.

I have every sympathy for closing gender gaps wherever they may be. However, I have very little sympathy for the original post.
Yes they are, and especially so as far as positive discrimination goes. Why is women in inverted commas? lol. Your personal demand for positive discrimination or not doesn't make any difference.... neither does your amount of sympathy for anything.

The graph does not make it look like 50%. Please look at it again. The OP clearly states 33%

Also, men don't lead in all 66% of those jobs.
Original post by SuperDuperNoob
If a whole gender can look "bad" to you because of the actions of a single man, then you're an idiot.

That's it, ignore the part that was actually addressed to you, because it's undeniably the truth, and there's absolutely nothing more you can say on the matter.

You made a basic school boy stats error, everyone with half a brain cell on this thread has seen that, may as well just close the thread.
That's it, ignore the part that was actually addressed to you, because it's undeniably the truth, and there's absolutely nothing more you can say on the matter.

You made a basic school boy stats error, everyone with half a brain cell on this thread has seen that, may as well just close the thread.
Oh shut it you drama queen!
Anyone have a theory why employers wouldnt just employ mostly women and save a massive 35% on their wage bill?
Rather than cherry-picking data to fit your agenda, how about you actually look at the entire picture? The wage-equality for similar work index, as set by the World Economic Forum is 0.65 in the United Kingdom. This means that for the same work, women on average get paid only 65% as much as a man would for the exact same task.

I think this tells us a bit more about the situation than your sourceless, cherry-picked graph.

There are many more variables than 'job similarity'. For example, performance, education and experience level.

My friends who are economists tell me that having studied this in some depth at university, the best estimate of the unexplained wage gap is around 6%.

However, they also point out that 'unexplained' does not imply 'discrimination against women' is the cause. For example, business psychology studies have shown consistently that when given a promotion (at the same firm, at the same seniority), men are more likely to ask for a raw increase in their salary, whereas women tend to ask for more flexible hours or the ability to work from home.

Men and women are different and have different goals in life. It is not altogether surprising, then, that they do actually have different outcomes in life as well. Your painting of women as downtrodden victims of a patriarchal labour system does no justice to the topic.
Rather than cherry-picking data to fit your agenda, how about you actually look at the entire picture? The wage-equality for similar work index, as set by the World Economic Forum is 0.65 in the United Kingdom. This means that for the same work, women on average get paid only 65% as much as a man would for the exact same task.

I think this tells us a bit more about the situation than your sourceless, cherry-picked graph.

Do you know how that score is calculated? It seems to be a survey, and at one point (only) is referred to as "perceived wage equality for similar work", emphasis mine. So it may be an opinion rather than real data.
Original post by caravaggio2
Anyone have a theory why employers wouldnt just employ mostly women and save a massive 35% on their wage bill?

Anyone?
Reply 36
Once you reach past the ~mid-20k you will largely negotiate your own salary as part of the recruitment process. If people arn't negotiating; that's their problem.

I work alongside someone who largely does the same job as me, with the same qualifications and same experience. I know I earn £5k more than him because I negotiated it. I wasnt willing to work for £5k less.. he was. How is that my problem?
Original post by Reue
Once you reach past the ~mid-20k you will largely negotiate your own salary as part of the recruitment process. If people arn't negotiating; that's their problem.

I work alongside someone who largely does the same job as me, with the same qualifications and same experience. I know I earn £5k more than him because I negotiated it. I wasnt willing to work for £5k less.. he was. How is that my problem?

A point Ive often wanted to make. For every woman getting less than bloke "A" for Xthe same" work, there will also be men getting less than him.
I
Original post by Reue

I can well believe this is true. At my current job now they offered me £2k less than what I settled for - I imagine a lot of people just accept and snap up the offer. Maybe we get offered the same but don't negotiate our way up as much.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 39
Why do these surveys always consistently fail to take into account the JOBS that the men and women are doing?

...THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT.

Edit: I mean seriously, that is such a huge oversight. From the "For every 1$ a man makes a woman makes 70 cents" to this, all of these surveys fail to state any actual jobs where these trends are prominent. How can you say that there is inequality without any idea of whos being paid what and for what job? It is literally THE THINGS THAT DETERMINES WAGES. This information literally means bugger-all until you take that into account.

Also, men and women have been getting equal treatement in the US since 1963 and in the 1970 in the UK when the equal pay act were enforced. There is no wage gap, at all. I mean seriously, if some people were genuinely underpaid in the US or UK, are you honestly insinuating companies are going to even TRY to pull crap like that, let alone get away with it without a lawsuit shoved in their faces?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending