The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This thread started so long ago and my college is STILL yet to send off my application. I'm so worried. Will I be less likely to get an offer than the people who applied in November ect. I applied for Bath Spa, Cardiff Uni, Warwick, Winchester and ST marys for Sociology. I'm so worried!! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by megan_jadeeee
This thread started so long ago and my college is STILL yet to send off my application. I'm so worried. Will I be less likely to get an offer than the people who applied in November ect. I applied for Bath Spa, Cardiff Uni, Warwick, Winchester and ST marys for Sociology. I'm so worried!! :frown:

Simple answer, no. Don't believe the rumours that earlier is better. Ultimately Uni's are looking to get students to come, not undercut them :smile:
Got an offer from City University London for Law within a couple of days. :biggrin:
Original post by elliemarling
When I went to Glasgow for the Open Day, I spoke to the Admissions Office and the woman said that they don't look at personal statements, AS grades or predicted grades, they just base it off the A-Levels that you're doing, which kind of confused me because surely you'd be accepting a lot of people. Nonetheless, it was a beautiful campus, an amazing city and the History course looks really good so I'm not complaining about my offer.I sent off my application on the 19th November and got the offer from Glasgow within 12 hours and also got an offer from Manchester after 6 days. Waiting to hear back from Exeter, York and Sheffield.

I also visited Glasgow's campus but during last week because I did not make it to the open day. But I agree, the campus was impressive and I could seriously see myself studying there for the next 4 years. I always liked Glasgow though. I applied with alternative qualifications, which admissions had told me would pretty much get me an offer but I had not expected an unconditional within 3 days (it would have been less if I had not submitted it on Friday evening I am guessing). Congratulations on your offers. I am also waiting to hear back from Exeter and I had an offer from Cardiff.
Original post by screamadelica
Wow, well I had never heard of something like this before. I've applied for Westminster that wants Bs and Cs because I know how easy it is to drop grades massively at A2 and was pretty lucky with AS, so I want an insurance choice. Just because I got As at the end of it doesn't necessarily mean they were the grades I sustained for the whole year. Thanks for bringing this to my attention though.

However I applied for a 300 point UCAS course min B in Biology, and got an offer of 240 UCAS points. Considering if I get the 3 A's, I am predicted together with 50 points from AS level and 60 from EPQ, I will have have well over 400 points, this is way over the points requested. The university must realise that I will apply to other universities with higher requirements, but obviously want me to study there. They have basically given me an unconditional so I firm them. So it can work the other way to your benefit, if they really want you. I would still apply for some courses with lower offers, as you are the one who knows what you can achieve.
Original post by louisewestlake
However I applied for a 300 point UCAS course min B in Biology, and got an offer of 240 UCAS points. Considering if I get the 3 A's, I am predicted together with 50 points from AS level and 60 from EPQ, I will have have well over 400 points, this is way over the points requested. The university must realise that I will apply to other universities with higher requirements, but obviously want me to study there. They have basically given me an unconditional so I firm them. So it can work the other way to your benefit, if they really want you. I would still apply for some courses with lower offers, as you are the one who knows what you can achieve.

I wish admissions were more predictable, most of the people in my class including me had our insurance choices rejected not that it was disappointing. Mine was wolverhampton and they didn't accept me with 400+ points but I never thought of it as a very impressive place to go :biggrin:
Original post by coffeecakey
I wish admissions were more predictable, most of the people in my class including me had our insurance choices rejected not that it was disappointing. Mine was wolverhampton and they didn't accept me with 400+ points but I never thought of it as a very impressive place to go :

Hmmm all a bit confusing. Looks like I was lucky. It was Portsmouth who gave me that offer and I liked the Uni and course, but not as much as my other offers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by louisewestlake

Yes I received my first offer today and it was conditional but made unconditional if I made them my first choice. I really don't think I could understand why universities would turn down people who are way over the minimum requirement, since this is a minimum and every university wants the best students and not just mediocre ones that just scraped the requirement - that's why school bangs on about trying to 'impress' universities with extra-curricular skills and doing well in exams, rather than trying to promote just being average or only aiming in what you are guaranteed to get. I don't know why it would be encouraged to not apply for places above and below your expectations, seeing as if you accidentally fluke you don't want to be left not going anywhere (especially if you 'fluking' is what is actually deemed average).
I applied for History at UEA,Coventry,Sheffield Hallam, Nottingham Trent and Anglia Ruskin. That was about a day or so ago

Any ideas on how fast these uni's are?
Finally sent off application today so just need to wait for offers now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wesker432
I applied for History at UEA,Coventry,Sheffield Hallam, Nottingham Trent and Anglia Ruskin. That was about a day or so ago

I got acknowledgement from Anglia Ruskin 2 days after applying and an offer the same evening but that was for media
Original post by coffeecakey
I wish admissions were more predictable, most of the people in my class including me had our insurance choices rejected not that it was disappointing. Mine was wolverhampton and they didn't accept me with 400+ points but I never thought of it as a very impressive place to go :biggrin:

I looked at Wolverhampton just out of interest, and UCAS requirement is only 200 points for biological courses, which I've already exceeded at AS. So maybe I can see where they're coming from. They probably don't want to turn down the lower grade applicants who would be much more likely to go there. It's better for them to fill all the places with them, than turn them down and then not being chosen as firms by higher achieving students. I don't know what you applied for and what the requirements for your course was, maybe yours was higher, but 400+ is way over.
Offer from Glasgow for Law with French! :biggrin:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/900265179992292/

I made a FB group for those holding an offer from Glasgow. Feel free to join it!
Original post by Wesker432

I got an offer from Anglia Ruskin 6 hours after applying for history if that helps :smile: I've heard they are fairly quick across the board
Not sure why folk say they received an offer early hours or within certain time....no offers for me yet....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jessio
Hopefully all goes well :smile: That does sound interestingg, sounds like an enjoyable degree :smile:

I think it will be. I am nervous for my interview though. I have no idea how to prepare.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've had Lincoln, Sheffield Hallam, De Montfort and Salford in less than aweek for business management think it depends on the subject not just the uni as well as how good your personal statement, reference grades etc are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My AS grades and targets were way above the entry requirements for my first choice uni and I didn't get an unconditional offer, but an offer is still amazing nonetheless :smile: I've seen some people have their offers changed to unconditional after a while, but I don't know if I'd be so lucky lol
Original post by pleinsykes
Got an offer from City University London for Law within a couple of days. :biggrin:

I got an offer from them for Sociology in just over 24 hours! So clearly they're quick at sending offers.
I sent my application off on Friday, and got an offer from Gloucestershire on Tuesday

Latest

Trending

Trending