The Student Room Group

shocking. unemployed immigrant with abusive parents forced to return home

Jakob Marek came to the UK in 2010 at 17 on the advice of the authorities in his homeland, the Czech Republic. He suffers with a variety of mental health and learning difficulties, and his military father was very abusive to him as a result, regularly locking him in cupboards and starving him, never letting him out to apply for a job even when he was 16.

So he ran away from his home and moved to Bristol to get a fresh start. He was at college for a year but got poor qualifications because of his difficulties. After that he had a job in a shop that sold home products like carpets for two years.

His mental health deteriorated however and he had to give up his job, and was forced to claim disability benefits. But following an atos assessment which has been criticised by doctors, he had his benefits cut off just a few months ago.

With nowhere left to turn, he considered suicide. He went to the citizens advice centre and they said his best option was to go back home to his father.

To me this seems wrong. I'd probably opt for homelessness in Britain rather than an abusive father. I guess that if he goes home though, he'll probably have shelter and be fed better when he is fed. What do you think? Was he just being praguematic?
He should not have come to the UK in the first place

it's not like we don't have people with metal health issues so we need to import immigrants with them to fill the spaces.

What is worrying is the advice given to him by the authorities in his homeland

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending