The Student Room Group

Death penality, okay with requisite criteria?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by james22
No. It serves no purpose, is expensive, and is cruel.

This is the crux of it basically, yeah.
The death penalty is the ultimate punishment. Which is why we desperately need it.

And why liberals are against it. They don't believe in punishment or taking responsibility for your own actions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ESPORTIVA
The death penalty is the ultimate punishment. Which is why we desperately need it.

And why liberals are against it. They don't believe in punishment or taking responsibility for your own actions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the US, by the time you go through all the rigmarole of the legal system for capital punishment, generally it comes out as more expensive than locking them up, allegedly. Then you've still got the chance they're innocent.

But, also, consider it's the easy way out, why kill them when you can throw them in a prison with a bunch of ruffians where they will kill each other off anyway?
Original post by Jammy Duel
In the US, by the time you go through all the rigmarole of the legal system for capital punishment, generally it comes out as more expensive than locking them up, allegedly. Then you've still got the chance they're innocent.

But, also, consider it's the easy way out, why kill them when you can throw them in a prison with a bunch of ruffians where they will kill each other off anyway?

I never understood this line of thinking.

its the easy way out......I guess murder victims should be thankful then.

And you are basically hoping that other prisoners rape and abuse the murderer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I never understood this line of thinking.

its the easy way out......I guess murder victims should be thankful then.

And you are basically hoping that other prisoners rape and abuse the murderer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The problem is that our system is too kind on the prisoners, if properly reformed they will want to die.
The problem is that our system is too kind on the prisoners, if properly reformed they will want to die.

Hopefully. But it's unlikely to change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hopefully. But it's unlikely to change.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course not, the liberals [read: most of the population] seem to think the solution to crime and prison overcrowding is to make prisons even nicer for the inmates. Will definitely reform them and stop them wanting to go back!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't that simply emulating torture? How, then, does that make the enforcers of this reformed punishment any better than the criminal whose crime we are then hypocritically condemning? Surely we should always be aiming to achieve reform which actually has a positive goal in mind. Wanting to create a justice system that makes criminals 'want to die' is in principle incredibly barbaric and, moreover, inhumane.
Original post by Reluire
Isn't that simply emulating torture? How, then, does that make the enforcers of this reformed punishment any better than the criminal whose crime we are then hypocritically condemning? Surely we should always be aiming to achieve reform which actually has a positive goal in mind. Wanting to create a justice system that makes criminals 'want to die' is in principle incredibly barbaric and, moreover, inhumane.

So anything less than a comfortable life is torture? I guess you should get the government taken to the ICC or some **** because there are a lot of poor people out there being tortured.
You have to ask yourself the question: do some of these people even deserve to retain their "human rights"? If the answer is yes then you construct the prisons for the worst of society to just meet those rights (and I mean their actual human rights, not what people seem to perceive as rights), if you answer no then you can make things even funner for them.
So anything less than a comfortable life is torture? I guess you should get the government taken to the ICC or some **** because there are a lot of poor people out there being tortured.
You have to ask yourself the question: do some of these people even deserve to retain their "human rights"? If the answer is yes then you construct the prisons for the worst of society to just meet those rights (and I mean their actual human rights, not what people seem to perceive as rights), if you answer no then you can make things even funner for them.

No, but you're saying that you want a punishment system that makes criminals want to die. This has nothing to do with poverty; it has everything to do with actively seeking to torture and brutalise criminals under the guise of justice.

My answer would be yes because if we cruelly abuse criminals, we have shown ourselves to be little better than the criminal themselves. Would this prison for the 'worst of society' make inmates want to die? If so then their rights are very likely not being met.
Original post by Reluire
No, but you're saying that you want a punishment system that makes criminals want to die. This has nothing to do with poverty; it has everything to do with actively seeking to torture and brutalise criminals under the guise of justice.

My answer would be yes because if we cruelly abuse criminals, we have shown ourselves to be little better than the criminal themselves. Would this prison for the 'worst of society' make inmates want to die? If so then their rights are very likely not being met.

The purpose isn't to make them want to die, although that would be, in some respects, an added benefit. The purpose is two fold:colonhash:

To remove them from society

To act as a better deterrent than our current system

This would all be done much cheaper than the current system, potentially at a profit.

Whether it would be torture or not is rather subjective, depending on when you define the line on the psychological front to be crossed for torture. And as far as brutalise, again, subjective. But people are so soft these days that some of them see the system even as it is as brutal.
Of course not, the liberals [read: most of the population] seem to think the solution to crime and prison overcrowding is to make prisons even nicer for the inmates. Will definitely reform them and stop them wanting to go back!

Posted from TSR Mobile

This guy. This guy gets it. I would rep your post but I'm on mobile.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This guy. This guy gets it. I would rep your post but I'm on mobile.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Something they really ought to change.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending