The Student Room Group

Are Men Turning Soft

Anyone else noticed this?
in the western world in 2014 men are getting softer and softer and softer.
I understand many go through things but why is it such a bad thing to tell a man he needs to man up.
Or not to cry . Or to not show emotions (in public at least).
Why is it such a bad thing to say to a man that thinks he is down in the dumps that things will be alright my dude and i understand times are hard for you right now but you need to be a man .
Its only gonna get worse with the continuous breakdown of the family unit and more single mothers will continue to raise boys..
Isnt it time we all accept that men go through things but being soft should not be encouraged?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I like how to waste no time in deciding where the blame lies.
Reply 2
Why should having emotions and being soft be discouraged?

That's like saying women should be discouraged to challenge glass ceilings, go out to work and be unapologetic for their successes or display any masculine traits at all...

Times are changing. Gender stereotypes aren't so rife nowadays :cookie:
(edited 9 years ago)
I am far more concerned with the declining standards of literacy. It appears that many men today can barely string a coherent sentence together. I've noticed that it is particularly common among those who think men should "man up".
This is why suicides happen.
Reply 5
Original post by matthewduncan
I understand many go through things but why is it such a bad thing to tell a man he needs to man up.
Why is it such a bad thing to say to a man that thinks he is down in the dumps that things will be alright my dude and i understand times are hard for you right not but you need to be a man .
Its only gonna get worse with the continuous breakdown of the family unit and more single mothers will continue to raise boys..
Isnt it time we all accept that men go through things but being soft should not be encouraged?

To be honest, I do not think it is that men are becoming more soft, instead it's more socially acceptable for men to show their emotion. And that is how it should be.
Would you tell a woman to "women up" if she was upset, then why do we tell a man to "man up"?
As a woman, I want to be more equality amongst the sexes and whether it be that women gain more respect in the workplace or is be socially acceptable for a man to show his emotions and well be himself...be human.
In the end, we are all human and a reaction to a difficult situation, like crying or talking to others is something that is second nature, why should it be that men have to cover that up?
Its bit of a see-saw situation in society now, men use to be the more dominant sex but because of the wise of over the top feminism its gone the other way so women are more powerful. Men get branded as sexist or a typical man if he speaks out, men don't cry as much as women but it doesn't mean men don't have feeling they just deal with it. Still waiting for a society where a woman offers to buy the first pint or any for a man.
Original post by Quantex
I am far more concerned with the declining standards of literacy. It appears that many men today can barely string a coherent sentence together. I've noticed that it is particularly common among those who think men should "man up".

Marry me
Original post by Quantex

Can you troll elsewhere please
Original post by Lakesx
To be honest, I do not think it is that men are becoming more soft, instead it's more socially acceptable for men to show their emotion. And that is how it should be.
Would you tell a woman to "women up" if she was upset, then why do we tell a man to "man up"?
As a woman, I want to be more equality amongst the sexes and whether it be that women gain more respect in the workplace or is be socially acceptable for a man to show his emotions and well be himself...be human.
In the end, we are all human and a reaction to a difficult situation, like crying or talking to others is something that is second nature, why should it be that men have to cover that up?

Even women showing too much emotion isnt exactly good but girls will be girls at the end of the day.
I just dont think its good for society for men to be soft or for the man them self for that matter.
Original post by PecurringRattern
This is why suicides happen.

I hope you're referring to the OP telling people to man up and not siding with him. When people can't talk about their problems and are made to feel bad for having emotions and 'bottle them up' the problems get worse for them.
Original post by MarleyZ
Why should having emotions and being soft be discouraged?

That's like saying women should be discouraged to challenge glass ceilings, go out to work and be unapologetic for their successes or display any masculine traits at all...

Times are changing. Gender stereotypes aren't so rife nowadays :cookie:

times will be very bad for us if we continue without similar changes taking place in other countries, while we become passive, divided and pacifist other countries are exploiting social cohesion and nationalism, and with significant advancements in technology no longer being an exclusive domain I think we might risk being conquered...
Even women showing too much emotion isnt exactly good but girls will be girls at the end of the day.
I just dont think its good for society for men to be soft or for the man them self for that matter.

I don't think it's good for society to enforce roles based on our genitals.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I hope you're referring to the OP telling people to man up and not siding with him. When people can't talk about their problems and are made to feel bad for having emotions and 'bottle them up' the problems get worse for them.

Of course I'm talking about the OP, how else would my comment make sense? Why would suicides happen from talking about stuff more?
Original post by PecurringRattern
Of course I'm talking about the OP, how else would my comment make sense? Why would suicides happen from talking about stuff more?

Just wanted to check that you didn't think that suicides came about because men were 'going soft'. I agree with you.

well thats your opinion and your entitled to that.

You mean genetics?

There is more to sex than your sexual organs
Reading your post just made me turn softer if anything. :angry:
Why is it such a bad thing to say to a man that thinks he is down in the dumps that things will be alright my dude and i understand times are hard for you right now but you need to be a man .

Yes and thats right all women are good for is staying in the Kitchen and looking after the kids. I think not.

Perhaps if you didn't let your narrow-mindedness and ignorance get in the way you may realise that crying is socially acceptable both in Women and men, just as it is for Women to achieve a career and Men to be stay at home parents if so they choose.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hachik0
Yes and thats right all women are good for is staying in the Kitchen and looking after the kids. I think not.

Perhaps if you didn't let your narrow-mindedness and ignorance get in the way you may realise that crying is socially acceptable both in Women and men, just as it is for Women to achieve a career and Men to be stay at home parents if so they choose

Amen.
:jebus:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending