The Student Room Group

Has the pill broken women?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by geoking
Just saying if you could put that article in some kind of online drop box that's be awesome :wink:

Yeah I've been saying it for ages that it makes sense. Personally I think it's a coping method to do with the stresses found in modern society that are wholly unnatural, mixed with a disintegrating family and friend emotional support network. Too many people have no one they can open up to, so I believe they turn to ONS' to temporarily plug in that emotional hole they have in their life. Whether we like it or not, nature gave us emotions and modern life doesn't cater for a lot of them. If you're angry, keep it hidden. If you're unhappy, put on a brave face and so on. As you say, it can very easily turn into a vicious cycle of wash, rinse, repeat.

The issue I have is ultimately this:
We live in a hookup culture. We now have evidence that such a culture is bad for you, something which innately we should be aware of, yet people act against their instincts. So this means one of two things. Either a lot of people are depressed and in denial, or something is making them act against their instincts. Even when considering Occam's Razor, it's hard to say which one it is but I'd like to think that people aren't so retarded they turn to what is in essence subtle self-harm, but maybe that's wishful thinking!

I'd like to but unfortunately I'd be infringing on legal terms! ><

So what you're saying is, casual sex isn't a good thing, despite that our current society is trying to destigmatise promiscuity? I can see how that's make you sound like the villain if everyone is trying to be all for 'Do what you want! It's your body and your life!'. Then again you could mention that quote about heavy drinking, and we know how that affects people...
Original post by geoking
Lol
http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/casualsex.htm

So your idea of fun is doing something that is known to be mentally damaging.

I don't think they'd be diagnosed with BPD, but definitely with emotional problems that need dealing with before they grow to something worse.

Life may be tough, but treating yourself like a jizz rag or dildo with a pulse isn't going to solve anything other than make yourself feel degraded.

So, what you've said is most likely in 10 years we're going to have a huge problem with depression because young people are turning to a mentally damaging act to cope with life. Maybe their lives are **** because they are shortsighted and immature. Think about it :wink:

So maybe casual sex can worsen the symptoms of pre-existing mental health problems, but that isn't what you've been arguing. You've been arguing that casual sex among British women is a result of BPD, which in turn is caused by the pill, which is a far ****ing cry from anything stated in this study. And by the way, that same study tells us that men are more likely to engage in this kind of behaviour than women are, and yet when it was pointed out to you that men do these things too you pretty much just said "NO THEY DON'T AND IF THEY DO THEY ARE CHAVS SO IT DOESN'T COUNT ANYWAY BECAUSE REASONS".
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 102
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
I'd like to but unfortunately I'd be infringing on legal terms! ><

So what you're saying is, casual sex isn't a good thing, despite that our current society is trying to destigmatise promiscuity? I can see how that's make you sound like the villain if everyone is trying to be all for 'Do what you want! It's your body and your life!'. Then again you could mention that quote about heavy drinking, and we know how that affects people...

That's exactly it - society has being trying to promote promiscuity/"free love" since the 70's yet it's clearly always been damaging. Now as life has become more stressful (exams etc) more people are turning to this quick fix for the stresses in their life, ignoring the downsides. They don't want to hear it's bad because for them it's how they are coping, but the issue is they aren't thinking about the long term consequences.

Because the side effects are psychological, they are easy to hide, and that's probably why so many people can live in denial about it. I just worry about the social impact this will have in the coming years.
You have an extremely limited Knowledge of BPD, what it is, what tends to cause it and how it affects people, how debilitating it is, if you think you can compare women on estrogen based contraceptives to people with BPD.

I have a BPD partner, and yes, the joke has been made between close friends that "you're a woman then" but thats all it is, a joke! If you ever spent time or got close to anyone who actually suffered with BPD, you would realise exactly how different it is, and how the pill has absolutely nothing to do with it and how it is completely incomparible.

The pill has not broken women, the changes that effective contraception has brought (among other things) means that women are freer to engage in the same practices as men have been doing for decades without the same stigma.

Substance/alcohol abuse
Men are expected to drink, and are seen as weak or girly if they don't. Its far more acceptable and has been for years for men to be drunk than women, its not seen as abuse by society

Eating disorders
Men have never been expected to worry about things like weight and figure

Unprotected/indiscriminate sex with multiple partners
Men have been basically expected to behave like this for years. Its completely socially normal for men to have lots of risky sex

Men act in exactly the same way. Yet we don't consider them to have "symptoms of BPD"
Oh but, they don't get the guilt etc
Thats because society doesn't try to make them feel guilty about their behaviours, they're seen as normal, and while there is less stigma around women "acting like men have for years" it still exists.

I think the question is, what is it that makes you so uncomfortable about women behaving in exactly the same way as men have been doing for years. Does it make some men feel so threatened that they need to call women "broken" because the're on an equal footing.
Reply 104
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
You have an extremely limited Knowledge of BPD, what it is, what tends to cause it and how it affects people, how debilitating it is, if you think you can compare women on estrogen based contraceptives to people with BPD.

I have a BPD partner, and yes, the joke has been made between close friends that "you're a woman then" but thats all it is, a joke! If you ever spent time or got close to anyone who actually suffered with BPD, you would realise exactly how different it is, and how the pill has absolutely nothing to do with it and how it is completely incomparible.

The pill has not broken women, the changes that effective contraception has brought (among other things) means that women are freer to engage in the same practices as men have been doing for decades without the same stigma.

Substance/alcohol abuse
Men are expected to drink, and are seen as weak or girly if they don't. Its far more acceptable and has been for years for men to be drunk than women, its not seen as abuse by society

Eating disorders
Men have never been expected to worry about things like weight and figure

Unprotected/indiscriminate sex with multiple partners
Men have been basically expected to behave like this for years. Its completely socially normal for men to have lots of risky sex

Men act in exactly the same way. Yet we don't consider them to have "symptoms of BPD"
Oh but, they don't get the guilt etc
Thats because society doesn't try to make them feel guilty about their behaviours, they're seen as normal, and while there is less stigma around women "acting like men have for years" it still exists.

I think the question is, what is it that makes you so uncomfortable about women behaving in exactly the same way as men have been doing for years. Does it make some men feel so threatened that they need to call women "broken" because the're on an equal footing.

While saying women have full blown BPD from the pill is OTT, they are exhibiting an unnatural amount of traits, more so that we now know that promiscuity is unhealthy for you in every way. I'd like to think something is causing women to do this rather than complete immaturity and idiocy, but maybe that's the case.

As for the bold part, that's all bull****. First of all you need to acknowledge the biological differences between men and women. Men are more naturally inclined to sleep around and have higher alcohol tolerance than women. I don't know where you were brought up but adults getting drunk has been normal for decades, the only difference is that modern culture now tries to get everyone completely trashed instead.

Eating disorders aren't as simple as social pressure. Men are expected to adhere to a male standard of strength etc. Whether you let this get to you or not is entirely down to personality, and anorexia has been linked to autism, so that's unrelated to social pressures.

Again saying it's normal for men to have risky sex isn't right. It's more likely they'll jump into the sack with someone right away, but it's been shown that the more promiscuous any sex is, the more likely they are to have negative mental consequences.

The thing is, a lot of girls sleep around. This is both unnatural and mentally damaging. I'd like to think there's a reason they're doing it other than stupidity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending