The Student Room Group

No matter what Jackie said we should ALWAYS believe rape victims - AGREE or DISAGREE?

Scroll to see replies

Even if that infographic was remotely true, if we enshrined your principle that rape victims should always be believed in law, the number of false accusations would probably rise substantially, because prospective false accusers would know that they would probably get away with it.
Original post by The_Last_Melon
Your poll wording indicates you had a sexist agenda here.

LOool
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SocialJustice

And are YOU Social Justice part of one of these 'some people' who believe ALL men who have intercourse with a woman are rapists?
Original post by caravaggio2
Question.
Why does a strong thread of Marxism run through most leading feminist theory? I have talked with many .
Why are right wing feminists ( Hoff Summers ) about as common as rocking horse ****?
I have never met one.

Feminist and Marxist theories use similar strategies. The suffragettes and the typical revolting peasants felt unhappy because they could see that they were being treat badly. Much of feminism and marxism is based around convincing people that they are being treat bady, when they hadn't noticed, in order to provoke responses similar to those in various historical examples where people had noticed. It's more about manipulation aimed at getting at particular people than defending anyone's rights. As evidenced by teaching people to be hurt by things. Such as "You called me a pleb!! Help me I'm dying!". Serves a political purpose but isn't in the persons interests. Who tells their kids "sticks and stones can break my bones but words can hurt me more"?
Or how about,

"Hello, when you walked past me then your hand brushed my behind. I realise its crowded here so I thought I'd ask whether you did it on purpose?"

"It was an accedent"

"Ahh, cool. Have a nice day."

"Hello, when you walked past me then your hand brushed my behind. I realise its crowded here so I thought I'd ask whether you did it on purpose?"

"I did it on purpose."

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! MY LIFE IS RUINED BY THIS TERRIBLE EMOTIONAL PAIN!!!!"
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
And are YOU Social Justice part of one of these 'some people' who believe ALL men who have intercourse with a woman are rapists?

No I'm very moderate in my views.
No I'm very moderate in my views.

'Research shows men are stupider than women' does not sound very moderate to me OP...
I have a go-to question that I immediately throw back at women whenever they start talking about being raped:

“The guy that did it is rotting away in prison, right?”

Not a single woman has ever answered “yes” to that question. Out of a very healthy sample size of women—not one “yes.”

None of these women even pressed charges against their so-called attackers, either. After a little more interrogating, it was usually revealed that a previous boyfriend pressured them for sex, or they got drunk and didn’t remember what happened.

If a woman was truly the victim of a savage attack, she’s not going to just let it roll off her back like nothing happened. When sh*t gets real, women always go for help.

Several years ago I also conducted an experiment with my ex, whom I was with for 2 years. I’m a big dude, well over 6′ and 200+ pounds. She was about 5’4 and 110 pounds. Bear in mind, this was a mutual endeavor - a test to see how well she could protect herself against an attacker.

The goal was to get her jeans and underwear off. Basically, a simulated rape attack. She could do whatever she wanted to defend herself within reason, as in don’t punch me in the face, gouge my eyes, kick me in the dick, etc.

After about four minutes of wrestling with her, I was able to get her jeans unbuttoned and her zip down - that’s it. That’s all I could do in four minutes. To get this woman naked, somehow acquire and sustain an erection throughout all of the chaos, and then manage to penetrate her would have been impossible.

The only way it could have been done would have been to either beat the living daylights out of her, or threaten her with a weapon. There was no other way.

If this was a real world situation, she would’ve screamed her head off while scratching, biting, kicking and clawing at anything she could. Help would’ve arrived within a couple of minutes, at most.

All of this has made me adopt a very tough stance on women and their rape claims. The simple fact of the matter is whenever I hear the word “rape” come from a woman’s mouth - especially if she didn’t file a police report - it’s over.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
'Research shows men are stupider than women' does not sound very moderate to me OP...

I was sharing an amusing article I found. :biggrin:
Original post by CarlNorthWest
Several years ago I also conducted an experiment with my ex, whom I was with for 2 years. I’m a big dude, well over 6′ and 200+ pounds. She was about 5’4 and 110 pounds. Bear in mind, this was a mutual endeavor - a test to see how well she could protect herself against an attacker.

The goal was to get her jeans and underwear off. Basically, a simulated rape attack. She could do whatever she wanted to defend herself within reason, as in don’t punch me in the face, gouge my eyes, kick me in the dick, etc.

After about four minutes of wrestling with her, I was able to get her jeans unbuttoned and her zip down - that’s it. That’s all I could do in four minutes. To get this woman naked, somehow acquire and sustain an erection throughout all of the chaos, and then manage to penetrate her would have been impossible.

The only way it could have been done would have been to either beat the living daylights out of her, or threaten her with a weapon. There was no other way.

If this was a real world situation, she would’ve screamed her head off while scratching, biting, kicking and clawing at anything she could. Help would’ve arrived within a couple of minutes, at most.

All of this has made me adopt a very tough stance on women and their rape claims. The simple fact of the matter is whenever I hear the word “rape” come from a woman’s mouth - especially if she didn’t file a police report - it’s over.

You make it sound so clear-cut.

I suppose your ex was in genuine fear for her life during this 'experiment'?

Have you ever been in a situation where you're in such a state of shock that you freeze?

There's also a whole range of issues why women don't report what happened to them - some have been covered in previous posts - fear of not being believed - difficult to prove in some cases depending on when it happened / how soon it's reported - not wanting to believe it happened - not wanting to relive it - not wanting to break up their family.

You cannot begin to understand it unless you've been in that situation.
Original post by Múinteoir

Have you ever been in a situation where you're in such a state of shock that you freeze?

Last I checked, for the vast majority of people, this effect is very brief, hardly enough to get through the entire act, or even for that matter to get through the part covered by the experiment, it then goes to kicking, flailing, screaming etc.
There 8s a reason why outside domestic cases there is a tenancy to have the victim incapacitated in some way, generally because they had too much to drink, or some sort of weapon is involved

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/12/06/no-matter-what-jackie-said-we-should-automatically-believe-rape-claims/

If you were not aware, there was a story recently in Rolling Stone magazine about a girl called Jackie at the University of Virginia.

The story described how Jackie was violently gang-raped by multiple people at a fraternity party on broken glass, and how her friend discouraged her from telling the police because they wouldn't get invited to more parties - so she only did so about a year later.

It later turned out that there were various discrepancies in Jackie's story. This has led to some people unfortunately questioning how truthful rape stories are, victim blaming, etc.

The Washington Post posted a great article saying that regardless of Jackie's discrepancies and other times that women have lied about being raped like the Duke lacrosse case, we should ALWAYS believe rape victims.

What do you think?

Full article below:

Spoiler

Relevant:

If the facts are there that a person has been raped, I'd naturally believe them. If you can't prove it (through medical, clinical and psychological tests) then that raises questions.
I see that deliberately misleading graphic way to often. It's pretty much a joke at this point, and tries to deflate the presence of false cases by exaggerating 'true' cases. It assumes all the accused are indeed rapists and pulls the total sum of 'rapists' out of thin air.

And it should ALWAYS be innocent until proven guilty, as it should be with all criminal accusations. Otherwise it's essentially a witch trial, isn't it?
Reply 73
Go through a rough patch? What an idiotic notion. Of course a man who was accused of rapes life would be ruined. Just like a person said earlier in the thread anyone who makes a false accusation of rape should get THE SAME PUNISHMENT A RAPIST WOULD HAVE GOT.
Original post by Nidokid
Go through a rough patch? What an idiotic notion. Of course a man who was accused of rapes life would be ruined. Just like a person said earlier in the thread anyone who makes a false accusation of rape should get THE SAME PUNISHMENT A RAPIST WOULD HAVE GOT.

Obviously provably false, which to be frank is probably about as hard as proving that the accused even was a rapist
Reply 75
Original post by Jammy Duel
Obviously provably false, which to be frank is probably about as hard as proving that the accused even was a rapist

But it would discourage people from making false accusations of rape. I just don't like to see innocent people locked up it isn't right and should never happen.
Original post by CarlNorthWest
I have a go-to question that I immediately throw back at women whenever they start talking about being raped:

“The guy that did it is rotting away in prison, right?”

Not a single woman has ever answered “yes” to that question. Out of a very healthy sample size of women—not one “yes.”

None of these women even pressed charges against their so-called attackers, either. After a little more interrogating, it was usually revealed that a previous boyfriend pressured them for sex, or they got drunk and didn’t remember what happened.

If a woman was truly the victim of a savage attack, she’s not going to just let it roll off her back like nothing happened. When sh*t gets real, women always go for help.

I read this article. Good stuff!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending